How much shore time?

Hobo_Online

I'm booked for the Grand Med. cruise on the Norwegian Spirit, and I'm seeing a lot of options for excursions. However, the NCL website is confusing about how long we can be off the ship. For example, the ship is docked from 08:00 to 17:00 hrs, but you won't be off the ship for two hours after it docks, and must be back on board an hour before it leaves??? That doesn't leave a lot of time.

I would really appreciate it if someone with NCL experience could give me a more realistic idea of timings for major med. ports.

Sincerely, Gord

I'm booked for the Grand Med. cruise on the Norwegian Spirit, and I'm seeing a lot of options for excursions. However, the NCL website is confusing about how long we can be off the ship. For example, the ship is docked from 08:00 to 17:00 hrs, but you won't be off the ship for two hours after it docks, and must be back on board an hour before it leaves??? That doesn't leave a lot of time.

I would really appreciate it if someone with NCL experience could give me a more realistic idea of timings for major med. ports.

Sincerely, Gord

We have never had to wait two hours to disembark at a port. It might be different on a Med cruise but for all the Caribbean ports we have been to we were able to get off the ship pretty quick after docking.

For example, the ship is docked from 08:00 to 17:00 hrs, but you won't be off the ship for two hours after it docks, and must be back on board an hour before it leaves??? That doesn't leave a lot of time.

that 2 hour window is mostly used for embarkation and disembarkation. It is true that you generally have to be back on board within 30 minutes to 1 hour before it leaves. So try to be back on board by 16:30

The ship docks around 8 or sometimes earlier, within 15 minutes you are allowed to leave the ship.

My guess is that you will actually be in port from 8:15 to 16:30

Getting off in most ports happens pretty much on time if tied to the pier. Anchored is different.

You are supposed to be onboard 30 minutes before departure. In reality, you can show up a few minutes before and they will let you board. Not saying you should plan on that?

Ah, precise and to the point, and a very quick replies too. :)

Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to reply. I sincerely appreciate your efforts in helping me to plan our shore excursions.

Gord.

I just returned from this itinerary (Barcelona-Venice)- we were off the ship normally within 15 minutes of docking - we were waiting in the stairwell, and as soon as the ship was cleared, we were off. They had two gangways open on deck 4 - forward and aft which helps keep the line moving. Tendering took a longer time. We had to be back on ship 30 minutes before the leave time.

NCL took our passports at embarkation to expedite the passport control issues for Turkey. We got them back the sea day before Dubrovnik (last minute substitution for Athens), and had them in our possession the rest of the trip.

The statement about waiting two hours after docking is on a web page that shows all the ports the cruise stops at. It's likely the 'small print' that they use to justify those occasional late arrivals. :) I've very glad to hear that it's not normal when the ship is docked.

What happened that Athens was missed. Was that due to their political situation (aka riots)?

Thank you to everyone who has straightened this out for me.

The statement about waiting two hours after docking is on a web page that shows all the ports the cruise stops at. It's likely the 'small print' that they use to justify those occasional late arrivals. :) I've very glad to hear that it's not normal when the ship is docked.

What happened that Athens was missed. Was that due to their political situation (aka riots)?

Thank you to everyone who has straightened this out for me.[/quote

Greece called a labor strike that was going to affect port services, as well as any public transportation services. It was called for our day, so the Captain had to skip the port. There were many disappointed people, but there was nothing they could do about the situation.

Archived