Which ship will replace celebrity summit in NJ

Bacchybella23

This is just my two cents here. You can easily get a cab to Penn Station in Newark for Amtrak. Around $50, I think. You bypass the Light Rail and PATH, a logistical nightmare with luggage I would think. I believe this to be a far easier option for you. Looking forward to your posts on our April 26th thread. It is a great itinerary, and a great bunch of people, some of whom will be doing this one for the fifth year running. Lots of onboard stuff, a get together the evening before in San Juan, just to mention a few.

We looked at that, and I tried to push my husband in that direction, trust me!!!, but he was all about saving the money and also the fun/challenge of figuring out the how-to of it (that's the kind of guy he is!) - he doesn't mind spending (as one can see from my cruise signature) but not when there is a workable alternative, when spending the extra money doesn't get you much that is tangible - he took great pride in researching all of the routes and schedules and we travel VERY LIGHTLY - one smallish roller luggage each, not carry on size, but not HUGE. It worked out really well, like clockwork in fact! So yes, we will do it again, for sure. We often go to NYC from Boston anyway, via Amtrak, and we are quite familiar with the city, so it really worked out well.

And indeed, yes, I have been reading all of the postings on our 4/26/14 Roll Call - everyone seems to be old friends, very well acquainted! We had such a great time in October 2012 (despite Hurricane Sandy always right over our shoulder!) heading to San Juan, that we thought the reverse would be terrific, especially because of the overnight in Bermuda!!!, and because of Tortola - never been to either port! We LOVE the Med, but it is a go-go-go place, so much culture and we try very hard to soak up every last bit of it - just the kind of travelers we are - so to us, I think to most people, the Caribbean is one huge party, a place to kick back and relax and enjoy the palm trees & rum!

Hopefully Celebrity will remove their ships from NJ completely. That place is a dump. We sailed out of there last year on the Summit and it was such a disappointment. Why they can't put their ships in Manhattan is beyond me.

Haven't you heard? It's not cool to dump on New Jersey right now.

Plus everyone knows the best views of the city are from New Jersey. ;)

Hopefully Celebrity will remove their ships from NJ completely. That place is a dump. We sailed out of there last year on the Summit and it was such a disappointment. Why they can't put their ships in Manhattan is beyond me.

Michael

Because RCL is one of the primary tenants of Port Liberty. Quantum of the Seas will be calling Bayonne home, so i dont think they will be pulling out anytime soon - and that might tell you what will be competing with Breakaway out of Liberty...

With the upcoming Emission Control Act coming in to play over the next couple of years, there may be few if any ships leaving from NY or NJ.

That's interesting since RCCL just announced that their new ship, Quantum of the Seas, coming out in 2014 will be home ported in Bayonne, NJ.

That's interesting since RCCL just announced that their new ship, Quantum of the Seas, coming out in 2014 will be home ported in Bayonne, NJ.

Read the article in the CC News Section. NY will probably be okay but not sure about others.

While Port Liberty facilities aren't the greatest (and the traffic on the road to the pier can be terrible, although the bus ride doesn't bother me very much), I am happy to have them in NJ. It's bad enough paying $19 a day for parking - if they were in NY, it would be $30.

When Summit leaves Bayonne in October 2013, there will be no other Celebrity ship sailing out of there until Summit returns again in May 2014.
Hasn't this been standard for them with the exception of 2011, when they had Silhouette there for the winter? And they weren't getting the loads they needed, which resulted in really cheap cruise prices, which was great for residents (I LOVED our 12 nighter) but not for Celebrity (which I'm sure it why it hasn't been back). I was on Explorer earlier this year because it was cheap ($500 for a week) and the perfect timing for my whole family to get away, but I would not go again. I'm definitely interested in Quantum, even though in general I prefer Celebrity.

They have a bus that goes to Bayonne from 5 different locations in Massachusetts.

None of the places those buses pick up from are convenient if you live in Boston/Cambridge, especially if you don't want to drive at all/pay to park somewhere. Our recent cruise ended in Bayonne and we ended up flying back to Boston. In that case Bayonne was more convenient because the flight from EWR was cheaper (and a lot faster) than the train.

The originating terminal for the bus is in Braintree (parking for the cruise duration is $25.00) about 12 miles from downtown Boston. Bus is usually never full, has free wi-fi and someone else has the driving hassle.

We've taken it several times (driving from NH to Braintree). They now have a stop five miles from my house (with free parking). Easy and comfortable.

Ray in NH

Archived