Dining on NCL with kids

Weeziblu

Watch the dailies too...when we were on the dawn 2 years ago they had certain nights where kids ate free in the specialty dining ..they are the nights we went.. they did have to eat off the kids menu then.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

There is a standard kids menu in the MDR. This has the typical chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, PB&J, hot dog, etc. Kids can order off this menu in the specialty restaurants and there is no charge. The specialty restaurants have their own kid's menu which have smaller portions of the adult menu items. This menu is 1/2 price.

Not related but I actually like the Mac and cheese they give the kids. Cruise lines don't understand the concept of cheese fries. Sometimes I need the Mac and cheese for a cheese fix ;) (and I know its fake cheese but it is better than nothing)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I'm really hoping by the time that our cruise comes around, DD will be more receptive to trying new things. She'll be just over 4 1/2 then and right now if it's not something she's readily familiar with, she won't try it. Usually I can get her to try something if she likes the way it smells but if it's a texture she isn't expecting she'll spit it out, even if she likes the taste. So I'm really hoping a switch flips or something lol. I don't expect her to try oysters or escargot but some of the veggies and other things I'm hoping she'll give a chance.

Our experience was at Le a bistro on the Jewel, and they had a separate children's specialty menu. Ds1 had pork tenderloin that wasn't on the adult menu (or regular children's menu) that was the best meal served that night!

My children are fairly adventurous eaters and the NCL crew have been very accommodating, even bringing extra plates of calamari ;)

I'm really hoping by the time that our cruise comes around, DD will be more receptive to trying new things. She'll be just over 4 1/2 then and right now if it's not something she's readily familiar with, she won't try it. Usually I can get her to try something if she likes the way it smells but if it's a texture she isn't expecting she'll spit it out, even if she likes the taste. So I'm really hoping a switch flips or something lol. I don't expect her to try oysters or escargot but some of the veggies and other things I'm hoping she'll give a chance.

Just because I think it's interesting:)...kids do this because ages ago it protected them from accidentally being poisoned by something they didn't recognize. They also have taste buds more sensitive to oxalic acid, a poison in large quantities, in bitter foods like spinach. So, while I certainly encourage my kids to try new things and eat lots of veggies, it helps to know why they can be the way they are!

Just because I think it's interesting:)...kids do this because ages ago it protected them from accidentally being poisoned by something they didn't recognize. They also have taste buds more sensitive to oxalic acid, a poison in large quantities, in bitter foods like spinach. So, while I certainly encourage my kids to try new things and eat lots of veggies, it helps to know why they can be the way they are!

Really? I had no idea! Huh. You really do learn something new everyday.

• 8 months later...