Getaway Bookings

Sandra Smudger

If I were to book a particular grade of cabin on a getaway fare does anyone know if I would get that grade of cabin or would I be upgraded to the next level up? The reason I ask is because I wouldn't want an upgrade but if this is likely then I'd rather not book with a getaway even though the price is incredibly low. Would be grateful for some advice from regular cruisers of Cunard

If I were to book a particular grade of cabin on a getaway fare does anyone know if I would get that grade of cabin or would I be upgraded to the next level up? The reason I ask is because I wouldn't want an upgrade but if this is likely then I'd rather not book with a getaway even though the price is incredibly low. Would be grateful for some advice from regular cruisers of Cunard

If you want a particular stateroom and not be upgraded then Vantage is your only option.

You can book a getaway at the minimum grade as stated in the t&c and not ask to be upgraded I suppose.

Getaway Bookings will be made at the minimum grade within each stateroom category without a stateroom number. Stateroom numbers will be allocated no later than 14 days prior to departure.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-deals/getaway-offers/getaway-fares-terms-and-conditions/

If you want a particular stateroom and not be upgraded then Vantage is your only option.

You can book a getaway at the minimum grade as stated in the t&c and not ask to be upgraded I suppose.

Getaway Bookings will be made at the minimum grade within each stateroom category without a stateroom number. Stateroom numbers will be allocated no later than 14 days prior to departure.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-deals/getaway-offers/getaway-fares-terms-and-conditions/

You can request no upgrade even on a getaway fare.

Getaway fares are based on the lowest available fares in each category & once allocated can not be changed, You are Guaranteed to have a least the grade that you have booked but as upgrades are done by computer there is no Guarantee that you will not be upgraded to a higher level. I am intrigued as to why you would not want a upgrade.

Getaway fares are based on the lowest available fares in each category & once allocated can not be changed, You are Guaranteed to have a least the grade that you have booked but as upgrades are done by computer there is no Guarantee that you will not be upgraded to a higher level. I am intrigued as to why you would not want a upgrade.

When we book getaway (direct booking ) they ask you if you want to accept an uograde...so you can say if you prefer not to be upgraded.

if they don't note that accurately you may find you have been upgraded despite requesting no upgrade.

Cabin allocation is done automatically by computer supposedly.

Quite often what I regard as an upgrade differs greatly from what the operator regards as an upgrade I chose a particular grade of cabin on Cunard because it's in the centre of the ship, but they regard cabins at the very front of the ship as an upgrade. I get really seasick and as those unfortunate enough to suffer from this afflication know, the front of a ship is the worst place to be, therefore this is not an upgrade and is definitely worse than the grade I chose. There's nothing I can do about this apart from booking a more expensive Vantage fare. I tried saying that I don't want an upgrade but aparently you can't request this as the bookings are done automatically.

Quite often what I regard as an upgrade differs greatly from what the operator regards as an upgrade I chose a particular grade of cabin on Cunard because it's in the centre of the ship, but they regard cabins at the very front of the ship as an upgrade. I get really seasick and as those unfortunate enough to suffer from this afflication know, the front of a ship is the worst place to be, therefore this is not an upgrade and is definitely worse than the grade I chose. There's nothing I can do about this apart from booking a more expensive Vantage fare. I tried saying that I don't want an upgrade but aparently you can't request this as the bookings are done automatically.

Sandra...if you want to be allocated to the middle of the ship there are new rules applying . For those who choose Getaway fares the most likely scenario is you will be allocated to either the cabins situated more in the front sections or in the back sections since they now consider the centre section to be the most desirable and keep them for Vantage fare payers.

Your brochure will show the lines of delineation showing the cabin areas as I've mentioned...or at least the brochures did when the new "rules" became active.

Yes the deck plans have a dotted line showing where the mid ships cabins are.

If you must have a mid ships cabin guaranteed the only way is Vantage, that's why they cost more.

David.

Thanks for that Yvonne I don't know what to expect This is the first time I have ever had a guarantee room. My booking shows BD Balcony which is a Hull balcony I think you have had this grade in the past? I have had an inside upgraded to a ocean view on the QM and I got a great room. bigger inside as it included the Hull Balcony space within the room. Not heard anything as yet but it is over 3 weeks away.

I have not submitted Rebecca's details as she is on a School trip to Spain language exchange. Will put her Passport details on the booking when she returns. Not sure if they will allocate a room until all the booking details are complete. I have also had to apply for a new Passport as mine is only valid until 12/12/2013 so not the 6 months they require.

I am slightly anxious about the guarantee but I would not have paid the Vantage fare as it was just too expensive. I am just looking forward to spending time with Rebecca.

Thanks for that Yvonne I don't know what to expect This is the first time I have ever had a guarantee room. My booking shows BD Balcony which is a Hull balcony I think you have had this grade in the past? I have had an inside upgraded to a ocean view on the QM and I got a great room. bigger inside as it included the Hull Balcony space within the room. Not heard anything as yet but it is over 3 weeks away.

I have not submitted Rebecca's details as she is on a School trip to Spain language exchange. Will put her Passport details on the booking when she returns. Not sure if they will allocate a room until all the booking details are complete. I have also had to apply for a new Passport as mine is only valid until 12/12/2013 so not the 6 months they require.

I am slightly anxious about the guarantee but I would not have paid the Vantage fare as it was just too expensive. I am just looking forward to spending time with Rebecca.

Hi Sue, don't worry about your guarantee..you will get what you actually chose or an upgrade .If you bought a particular grade of balcony ..like an in-hull balcony which we have had before...we actually quite liked it ...... Depending on the itinerary the in -hull balcony can be better than glass as in really bad weather it is more sheltered and useable .We had one twice on transatlantic crossings so it was very beneficial .

You will likely to be allocated to a cabin at either the front area or the aft area since you are on the Getaway fare.. don't know which deck though.

In hulls are on lower decks possibly 4 upwards??? I think, but am not sure. I haven't been on QM2 for a while so have lost touch with the layout. A brochure will probably have the lines printed on the ship layout page to show the division of the front and aft from the middle cabins...which they keep for Vantage fare payers.

I know the passport details will all sort themselves out in due course.. they may remind you to input details before they allocate. You can put in the details you definitely know in the meantime. Rebecca will just adore cruising and possibly want to go with you again and again!!!

We're looking forward to the QV in August ..still no cabin allocation yet but that is to be expected .

Happy cruising and hope she loves the experience..she's starting at the top end of the cruiselines anyway.

Yvonne

Sandra, we have just got back from the QM2 and were very happy to be given a midships deck 5 cabin as our BD guarantee.

We sailed twice last year on balcony guarantees and had similar on deck 4 and 6.

With the change in cabin grades this year I was so expecting to be given an forward cabin so was pleasantly surprised.

When we booked our guarantee last year we asked for no upgrades as we thought we would end up on deck 8 with the lifeboats!

This time we only got our allocation about 10 days before we sailed....on the boards it seems as if the allocations are being done closer to sailing....I was thinking I may be getting close to a Princess Grill!

Thanks Yvonne for all that information. I am not all that concerned as I spend little time in the room or on the balcony useful for early breakfast and checking out the weather. I had a well forward ocean view room previously and it was absolutely fine. Rebecca has been showing me her new dresses on the internet. She just says to me (thank you Granny for being so generous) She is a lovely girl with a lovely nature. I am fortunate to be able to spend time with her. She will be home Friday and I will then get her details on to our booking. Thanks again Yvonne and likewise I wish you a great cruise in August.

Archived