Noroviruson on Dream

Six days to go and we're back on the Dream -Mediterranean Medley June 2

9th.

Only issue marring my excitement is the continuing reports of Norovirus, still prevelant after six months. Why is it when other cruiselines are affected by this virus, even on a single voyage, it makes headline news? How come Thomsons ships are not being investigated by Environmental Health?

On our recommendation we are being joined by three friends on this cruise, and I havent dared tell them about the Norovirus problem.

How bad is the situation currently?

Would appreciate C.C. comments but more importantly a statement from Thomson Team

Hi ginjoli

We just got back from the Dream on 15th June and yes Norovirus still prevalent. No jacuzzis for the whole 2 weeks, pool closed for about 6 days, gym and library closed last 3 days. No drinks menus displayed in any bar in case of spreading it further.

Food was being served by crew in both Lido and Sirens.

We still had a great holiday though but I agree the virus should be eradicated by now.

My husband had a kidney transplant a few years ago and it could have caused major problems if he had caught it.

I was reading a review on a P&O med cruise and they are also reporting and bemoaning the sickness virus. The hotel we are staying at this year has the very same complaints. I do not think that this is just a Dream problem but lack of hygiene from some filthy individuals who do not care a jot about other people at all. Wash your hands, use the anti viral foam or gels and make the waiters aware if you see someone using there hands in the restaurants. If it takes naming and shaming then so be it.

I was reading a review on a P&O med cruise and they are also reporting and bemoaning the sickness virus. The hotel we are staying at this year has the very same complaints. I do not think that this is just a Dream problem but lack of hygiene from some filthy individuals who do not care a jot about other people at all. Wash your hands, use the anti viral foam or gels and make the waiters aware if you see someone using there hands in the restaurants. If it takes naming and shaming then so be it.

A lady on our table on P&O said they were on board the Oriana(?) over Christmas and New Year and over 50% of the passengers went down with it. Apparently each evening there were fewer and fewer people at dinner. Someone else told us the same tale and said 75% were affected! :eek: No matter really what the exact figures were - just horrid for everyone affected and on board.

And yes k8i - there are some who don't try in the least to support the efforts of the crew and conscientious passengers. And it's Sod's Law that they will no doubt swan through and not pick it up (probably immune form their general resistance if that's the standard of hygiene they adopt). I'm sure it's those who do take care with hygiene who are most at risk!!!

But all we can hope for is stringent attempts by cruise companies to do everything possible to eradicate the virus (if that's humanly possible) and trust passengers are public spirited and do their best to stop passing it on too. I bet Boots are doing well with their Anti-virus spray!!

NV. A prevention tip apart from all the hand washing and hygiene gels. is to never go bare foot any where, even in your own cabin think about it, every one walks the same corridors the same track on the stairs, germs love carpets! we washed our shoe soles with bleach.

Many thanks for replies and comments on Norovirus on the Dream.

I must admit I am becoming increasingly concerned about exposing my husband and our three friends to the risk of contracting the virus whilst onboard next week. Two of our party have heart conditions and one in

remission from cancer.

Why are Thomsons reluctant to make a statement regarding the seriousness of the continuing situation? - with the quick turnaround of passengers following each cruise, I question whether they can possibly execute a thorough deep clean in the short time available.

I would be interested to know what percentage of passengers have been affected by Norovirus on recent cruises.

......... is the continuing reports of Norovirus, still prevelant after six months.....

Longer than 6 months, our Dream caribbean cruise 18 months ago was nearly cancelled at the 11th hour due to Norovirus.

Guys, I don't think you will get any comments from Thomson that aren't lies. They are denying that there is any sort of illness on the Dream, not just NV. They also claim a NV outbreak is 'unlikely' despite the fact that almost every review from the last few months mentions that it is on board. The Dream is starting to get a reputation around the forums as a plague ship, with people saying that they are deliberately avoiding it until everything is sorted. I have to say that I wouldn't hesitate to go on board, I would just use the same precautions I always do.

"Hi Ross, Thanks for your post. We're currently unaware of any sickness on the Thomson Dream. We'll need to check with our Cruise Team and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible. ^James

Like · Reply · Saturday at 23:33"

"Hi Michael, We've heard back from our team who've advised that in the unlikely event of an outbreak of norovirus, all possible steps are immediately taken to contain the virus, treat those affected and minimise the disruption to customers on board, the majority of whom remain unaffected. The ultimate priority for Thomson Cruises is the health, safety and comfort of all our customers. We operate stringent health and hygiene procedures in line with industry standards. In the event that the pool was closed, unfortunately you wouldn't be compensated for this, as outlined in our Terms and Conditions. ^Lauren.K

Like · Reply · Saturday at 10:53"

Archived