Diving Eastern vs Western Carribean?

carla1183

We've done a lot of diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, and of course love it! On our last cruise my parents also dove Belize city and really enjoyed it.

Looking at booking another cruise and tempted to try some of the Eastern Carribean locations like St Thomas, St Maarten, etc.

Thoughts? Have heard the diving isn't as good there, what's the difference? Strong tides, less sea life? We're pretty inexperienced divers (probably 20ish dives under my belt, bringing friends who will be brand new divers).

WDYT?

great diving to be found on the east side too - but as with anyplace, the more popular the island has been with tourists the more beat up the ecosystem. I'm not a big fan of diving in the greater St Thomas area, or San Juan. But read up about diving places live SABA, Tortola, St Barts, Isle Des Saintes, Bequia, St Kitts or the ABC's {Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao} .... there are great sites to be found all thru the eastern chain. Current is typically ziltch ... critters - depends on where and when and luck . . .

(it was nice to have a job that let me visit may of these places on company time with equipment in hand too!)

Archived