Captain and Cruise Director Question

SpiritRiver

For the CD it is easier to speculate as someone on a cruise before yours might have asked the CD their up-coming schedule but less likely to have the same interaction with the captain.

As you are leaving mid September you will know fairly soon. Shortly after final payment O will start shipping the 'blue' book' with your cruise document. The Captain & Cruise Director will be listed.

Not all are mailed out on the same day so someone on your Roll Call might receive their booklet before you so you might find out sooner if you ask there.

Even at that there could be last minute changes. We've had a (apparently scheduled) change to the captain mid-cruise.

Probably no Dottie.

She expects to rejoin Oceania early next year.

I'll be on Nautica 7/4, my docs also reflect Dottie but we've been advised otherwise.

We just got off Nautica last week and Nolan Dean was the CD.

Nolan was assistant cruise director a couple years ago on a cruise we took. Very pleasant young man. He's been a CD a couple years now, and I'm sure he has only improved.

Capt. Brajcic was, I'm fairly certain, the captain of the Nautica several years ago when she was pursued by Somali pirates. He is all business and not particularly accessible to passengers, but I'd personally rather have a captain good at dealing with pirates than one good at schmoozing with passengers.

Capt. Brajcic was, I'm fairly certain, the captain of the Nautica several years ago when she was pursued by Somali pirates. He is all business and not particularly accessible to passengers, but I'd personally rather have a captain good at dealing with pirates than one good at schmoozing with passengers.

I did not know that!

http://home.patbunyard.org/2011/01/nautica-captain-fends-off-pirates/

He was our captain on what turned out to be the Regatta "Hurricane Sandy Mystery Cruise" last October. What's a hurricane after you've dealt with pirates!

...http://home.patbunyard.org/2011/01/nautica-captain-fends-off-pirates/

Neat article, except that whoever composed it misunderstood the speeds involved. They carefully provided statistics converting kph to mph, except in this case "kph" referred to Knots Per Hour, not Kilometers Per Hour, and all the calculations are incorrect. It refers to Nautica speeding away from the pirates at 23 kph, which they calculated is 14 mph. Nautica cruises at 18 knots per hour. Knots are approximately 1.151 mph, so assuming the article is correctly stating 23 kph, that would be about 26.47 mph, which is just about flying.

Nautica's actual top speed has never been published, but 23 knots is not out of the realm of possibility. 14 mph is nonsense. Read the above article, but mentally figure all the speeds at almost 12 mph for every 10 kph.

More useless trivia brought to you by the W-I-R (wonk in residence) ;):rolleyes:.

Neat article, except that whoever composed it misunderstood the speeds involved. They carefully provided statistics converting kph to mph, except in this case "kph" referred to Knots Per Hour, not Kilometers Per Hour, and all the calculations are incorrect. It refers to Nautica speeding away from the pirates at 23 kph, which they calculated is 14 mph. Nautica cruises at 18 knots per hour. Knots are approximately 1.151 mph, so assuming the article is correctly stating 23 kph, that would be about 26.47 mph, which is just about flying.

Nautica's actual top speed has never been published, but 23 knots is not out of the realm of possibility. 14 mph is nonsense. Read the above article, but mentally figure all the speeds at almost 12 mph for every 10 kph.

More useless trivia brought to you by the W-I-R (wonk in residence) ;):rolleyes:.

Quite right Don, the conversion from Knots to Miles Per hour looks like this:

KNOTS to MPH

5 Knots=5.8MPH

10 Knots=11.5MPH

15 Knots=17.3MPH

20 Knots=23.0MPH

25 Knots=28.8MPH

30 Knots=34.6MPH

35 Knots=40.3MPH

Jurica Brajcic was our captain, on the NZ to Australia cruise on the Regatta. We thought he was more than fine! He was always gracious and smiling when seen in the public areas, but very alert - his eyes don't miss much.

He gave an excellent presentation on the Somali pirate incident one evening. He alerted us to landmarks and timed things so we had more time in the fjord areas of the south island, NZ. He seemed to have a deep love of oceans, coasts and the world's ports. Also the world's wines!

A previous journey in the So Pacific before ours had some very disturbing incidents. I don't think he was the Captain then, so we were very glad to see him. Crew seemed on their toes with him. He's very tall so has that "in command" look.

The week before, a Regent ship had just had a mighty tough time in the Tasman Sea. Although we heard some complaints about our transit next morning, we slept like babies through it on those wonderful mattresses.

Thought he was making noises about intending to retire - maybe Oceania wisely made him an offer he couldn't refuse. It's a lot of responsibility. We're fans and care more about ship handling & competency than those who go too close to Italian islands to greet a whole community.

Archived