Accessable cabin size HAL compared to RCCL

Erex

Hi

My wife and me are thinking about doing Eurodam in November.

I have just started to investigate HAL and Eurodam and for me it looks like the accessable verandah cabins on Eurodam is (much) smaller than HC balcony on the RCCL Freedom and Voyager class.

Doesn't really look like it is space enough to maneuver a wheelchair in there. But I assume that there are space enough?

And the balcony also look small.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Any difference in size on the balcony between the verandah categories?

The peice difference between the different V categories seems to be high. But I assume that the only difference is location?

Hi

I have just started to investigate HAL and Eurodam and for me it looks like the accessable verandah cabins on Eurodam is (much) smaller than HC balcony on the RCCL Freedom and Voyager class.

Doesn't really look like it is space enough to maneuver a wheelchair in there. But I assume that there are space enough?

The peice difference between the different V categories seems to be high. But I assume that the only difference is location?

HAL has both modified axxessible cabins and full accessible cabins.

If you are in a W/C, then you need full accessible. Ask HAL if the accessible cabin you are looking at is modified or full.

I'm not familiar with all the RCI classes of ship, I've done Voyager and Radiance ships, and my experience is that the RCI accessible cabins and balconies are a bit larger than on HAL and the balcony especially has been larger and easier to get the w/chair in and out on RCI. However, both are fine.

Hi

Thanks to fellow Cruise Critic Members, I do have a few photos and descriptions of some of the Eurodams' Handicapped Staterooms.

I have them all listed on the following link (Just go down about 1/3 of the page until you see Deck 6 (First Deck I have photos for) http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/index-3.html On each of the 15 HAL ships on my web site, I have an index-3.html which is the Handicapped staterooms for the various HAL Ships.

Joanie

Does anyone know anything about rooms for hearing impaired. I am deaf without my devices and my husband is deaf in one ear without his device. Do we reserve a handicapped room so it has alerting devices (need visual alerting for fire alarm, phone, door knocking) or are there rooms that are just for hearing handicapped.

We are looking at going on the Zuiderdam.

Thanks to fellow Cruise Critic Members, I do have a few photos and descriptions of some of the Eurodams' Handicapped Staterooms.

I have them all listed on the following link (Just go down about 1/3 of the page until you see Deck 6 (First Deck I have photos for) http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/index-3.html On each of the 15 HAL ships on my web site, I have an index-3.html which is the Handicapped staterooms for the various HAL Ships.

Joanie

Thank you for the information.

Didn't work at first. Had to change to normal view, didn't really work in a mobile (pad) environment.

A lot of information there. I am currently going through it :-)

Does anyone know anything about rooms for hearing impaired. I am deaf without my devices and my husband is deaf in one ear without his device. Do we reserve a handicapped room so it has alerting devices (need visual alerting for fire alarm, phone, door knocking) or are there rooms that are just for hearing handicapped.

We are looking at going on the Zuiderdam.

Sorry, I don't know if there are special rooms for hearing-impaired people, but on our last cruise on the Eurodam, just a few doors down from us, someone had taped a sheet of paper on the door saying "Knock loudly, I'm deaf!". At the time I wondered if someone would be coming to warn of any emergency. It would be a good thing to know!

Sorry, I don't know if there are special rooms for hearing-impaired people, but on our last cruise on the Eurodam, just a few doors down from us, someone had taped a sheet of paper on the door saying "Knock loudly, I'm deaf!". At the time I wondered if someone would be coming to warn of any emergency. It would be a good thing to know!

Interesting because if they truly were deaf they would not hear the knock. I suspect that they were pocking fun a bit at themselves and are just hard of hearing. I guess I will check directly with HAL.

Thanks!!!

If you know the dimensions you require you could call ( I guess it would be) Ships Services and ask. I was assigned a fully accessible cabin and the HM and another assistant came to my cabin to request to make measurements for a potential future guest. They measured walkways and door jambs.

Access to the verandahs in the accessible cabins on HAL is my number one complaint with HAL. I can tell you that the varandahs in 4051, 4052, 4131 and 4134 are very nice and roomy on both the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were in 4051 on the NA last November. The photo below will give you an idea of how large they are. Plenty of room to manuever around in my wheelchair. Getting out there is a royal pain in the back side, but it's worth the struggle. I have not had a verandah with RCI, so I can't offer a comparison. Hope this helps!

You can see some photos from our cruises at the link below. There are a few photos that show the regular verandahs.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/cruise_gallery

original.jpg

Access to the verandahs in the accessible cabins on HAL is my number one complaint with HAL. I can tell you that the varandahs in 4051, 4052, 4131 and 4134 are very nice and roomy on both the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were in 4051 on the NA last November. The photo below will give you an idea of how large they are. Plenty of room to manuever around in my wheelchair. Getting out there is a royal pain in the back side, but it's worth the struggle. I have not had a verandah with RCI, so I can't offer a comparison. Hope this helps!

You can see some photos from our cruises at the link below. There are a few photos that show the regular verandahs.

http://www.pbase.com/510picker/cruise_gallery

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info. Found some of your picture to be just what I needed.

And looking at them, it does look like it can be a "slight" hassle to get out on the balcony ;)

Archived