Which Glacier Trek? 2hr or 3hr?

niskyne

The wife and I are going on our first cruise in July with Norwegian Cruise Lines. We are trying to decided which glacier trek to book in Juneau, either the Helicopter Glacier Trek or the Extended Helicopter Glacier Trek. From reading reviews and descriptions, it looks like the main difference is some ice climbing for the extended tour.

My main question is, if someone (my wife) is not comfortable with heights and the whole idea of ice climbing and rappelling, is she required to climb? Will she be able to stay with the group even if she doesn't climb? We are in our late 20's and very athletic so physical activities are no problem. I rock climb so I REALLY want to go on the extended tour but don't want to force my wife to do anything she is not comfortable with.

Any reviews of either tours would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My DD and SIL (both 25) were on the two hour trek earlier this month. They did enjoy it a lot, but did not think it was a good dollar value. They are two thrifty young adults. ;) They did wish they had more flight time over the glaciers. They did not regret doing the trip, and the good thing was that all ten on their tour were physically fit, so that made the hike go well.

I do recall reading a post that said you did not have to do the ice climbing if you were on the three hour tour, but did not want to. Hopefully someone who has actually been on the tour can confirm for you. Otherwise, just email Northstar and ask them.

If you want to save a bit of money, you can book the tour independently. My DD and DIL saved $30 per person by booking direct with the vendor. (Northstar) They ended up on the tour with people from the cruiseship, but they paid less. :D They were picked up in a different location, but rode in the same van/bus.

If it were me I would go for the longest tour possible. A plus would be if as vbmom says, you don't need to do the ice climbing if you don't want to (I recall a post in that regard myself). I did a Matanuska Glacier 2 hour hike and easily could have gone longer.

I only recommend the level 3. I consider this, even a tight time. No nobody has to ice climb, and can do some further trekking in the area.

This may also be available to book direct for some savings. There is only ONE vendor who does this.

I did a Matanuska Glacier 2 hour hike and easily could have gone longer.

That is really a short time there. Were you independent/unguided?

I have been out as long as 5 hours, private guided, and the time flies by. Just added a tour there this month, since I had some down time. No problem with same day arrangements. This is a great location for some bargain trekking.

Archived