Post Cruise in Maui

ride4806

Help please-we are planning four days post cruise in Maui-would like to stay in the Kanapali area and I REALLY want to be oceanfront, my travel agent has suggested Kanapali Beach Club or the Sheraton. We will have a rental so while I would like to be able to walk the beach and get somewhere we will be able to drive to any area we need to. Since it will be post cruise-which will be SUPER busy and active I am hoping to lay back on the beach mornings and than drive around and check out scenery the remainder of the days. We will be doing the road to Hana and Haleakala during the cruise so I would also appreciate ideas of what else we could check out at the tale end of it. Something we would love to do is zip line so if anyone knows of any great places in Maui to do that I would be grateful-thanks for your help folks~~~

Kaanapali Beach Club doesn't have a great beach, whereas the Sheraton does.

Kaanapali Beach Club has kitchenettes and I think separate bedrooms in the units (it was formerly an Embassy Suites.) It's a time share resort now.

My vote would go to the Sheraton for location, beach and resort. Here's a link to an overview of it. The Sheraton is close to Whaler's Village, so easier walking to shopping and also more restaurants than what you'll have at KBC.

I would spend a day exploring south Maui - and some of the beaches there. Another day you could head up to Napili, Kapalua, Honolua Bay (great snorkelling) and drive as far as Nakalele blowhole (then come back the same way). The Iao Valley is also worth visiting ... you could do that on the day that you head to s. Maui. The town of Lahaina is about a 10 minute drive from Kaanapali ... good to check out for some history, shopping and restaurants.

If a condo is of more interest than a hotel, you might want to look at Honua Kai. It's between the Sheraton and KBC. (that photo was taken while it was still under construction ... it's about 4 years old now.) VRBO is a good site to use for rentals there and this agency looks after bookings for a lot of Honua Kai owners.

If you really want a layed back beach area, check out The Whaler or Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They are both right on the beach and maybe a 10 minute walk to Whaler's Village. The Whaler is a condo/rental. Kaanapali Beach Hotel is an older 2/3 story "Hawaiian Style" hotel. The pool is small, and no fancy slides or waterfalls. They have a lot of free Hawaiian craft classes, and a free nightly Hula show. I loved the "old Hawaiian" atmosphere, but it's not for everyone.

If you want the glitz and glamour of an upscale hotel, then the Sheraton is what you need. But expect to pay for it too!

I'm not real sure about ziplining around the island, the only place I do know for sure is at the Maui Tropical Plantation. When we there, there were two different companies with lines there.

Have a great trip!

Thanks so much for the replies and links-I will continue to research options of places to stay post cruise using your links and keeping your opinions in mind! I am SO looking forward to October! :cool:

The Aston Mahana is our favourite place to stay ... all units are ocean front and about 60 feet from the water, so the views are amazing! Here's a beautifully updated unit that has an opening at the end of October. The beach directly out front isn't swimmable due to rocks and coral in the shallow water, but we go into the ocean at either end of the complex (a 1 minute walk) where access is easier. Here's another one ... a studio, on a higher floor.

If you really want a layed back beach area, check out The Whaler or Kaanapali Beach Hotel. They are both right on the beach and maybe a 10 minute walk to Whaler's Village. The Whaler is a condo/rental. Kaanapali Beach Hotel is an older 2/3 story "Hawaiian Style" hotel. The pool is small, and no fancy slides or waterfalls. They have a lot of free Hawaiian craft classes, and a free nightly Hula show. I loved the "old Hawaiian" atmosphere, but it's not for everyone.

If you want the glitz and glamour of an upscale hotel, then the Sheraton is what you need. But expect to pay for it too!

I'm not real sure about ziplining around the island, the only place I do know for sure is at the Maui Tropical Plantation. When we there, there were two different companies with lines there.

Have a great trip!

Concur with the above hotel recommendations except they are even closer to Whaler's Village...just 5 minutes from our beloved Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Do not miss the excellent variety, flavor and value of food on the bottom level at Whaler's Village, at Nick's Pizza. I had the freshest, most generous gyro of my life and we ended up going back there a number of times during our week in Kaanapali.

http://www.nikkispizzamaui.com/

One thing I would do, is book a guided tour, (yes!) through Maui County Farm Tours. Besides the Lavender Farm, Surfing Goat Farm and wine tasting, they also have a new Vodka Tasting tour and you can customize one, say Iao Valley, zip lining at Maui Tropical Plantation and old sugar mill or another destination.

The also do a coffee planation/tasting/cocoa tour very close to Lahaina and you could hook up with them there...it is sort of eco and very, very cool...they are locals and really know the Island like few others.

I could spend a whole day just tripping through Paia Town and Makakao/Kula Upcountry areas with a stop at the Paia Fish Market and another at Sam Sato's for some dry saimin.

Just a few ideas, but not knowing your tastes, just lounging around the beach and pool areas with some fruity frosty drinks could be otherwise very cool.

This board is filled with so many wonderful people willing to share information-each of your replies is MUCH appreciated. I am now researching the above mentioned properties and sure that we will be very happy with whatever choice we do end up with. Thanks again folks :D

From what I understand about the beaches in Hawaii, is that a beach can't belong to any particular hotel. Thus, in Ka'anapali, you can easily access that big beach.

We went up to that area for the first time last December off of the Golden Princess (found out that the Whalers Village was going to be open on Christmas Day).

Archived