Where best to visit the Barrier Reef???

brandybit

We will be on Rhapsody docking at both Cairns and Airlie Beach. Which would be the best port to do our trip to the Barrier Reef? Is it best to do the ship's excursion (only offered from Airlie Beach) or do book an independent excursion? I am interested in snorkeling, while my husband wants to go scuba diving. Is it best to get all the way to the outer reef, or can great things be seen from other locations on the reef? Thank you anyone for your help!!

Cindy

I have done the outer reef trip from Cairns and snorkelling trips from Airlie Beach.

The outer reef trip was fabulous and you can do snorkelling, scuba and glass bottom boat viewing. It is a long day and you will need to check times to make sure it works in with your schedule.

I don't know what is offer for the day trips from the ship but if it includes Whitehaven beach at Airlie beach it is also definitely worthwhile but we only swam and snorkelled , you need to go further out for a reef experience.

If you Google both Cairns and Arlie beach you should get a better idea of tours available and times.( I battle with computers and have no idea how to attach information).

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy both locations

Hi,

You might want to check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832441

We did the ship tour out of Airlie Beach and whilst it was good I wouldn't do it again. Personally, I feel that you see alot more from Green Island which is a trip out from Cairns. Having said that, I would certainly look into the GBR from Cairns rather than Airlie Beach, from what I have heard and read it appears to be a better pontoon to go to.

Kirrarne

Archived