What part of Venice would you stay in?

Not so much specific hotels, but do you have a preference for a certain part of the city? Near St. Mark's seems close to a lot of things, but it's probably also very busy. Rick Steve's book suggests South of the Accademia Bridge, since it's fairly close to St. Mark's, but quieter, and more of an opportunity to see how Venetians really live.

Every time I've been to Venice, I've stayed near the Train Station...there are some nice hotels there (Carlton, Capri, Sofitel) and it's the easiest place to get to and to get your luggage to...

Once you are encamped at the hotel, anywhere in Venice is easy to get to...by foot, by Vaporetti, by water taxi...

The hotels I mentioned are either right on or very close to the Grand Canal and convenient to Vaporetti stops...San Marco is a cheap, easy and SCENIC Vaporetti ride away...

The area is actually quite charming and scenic...and there are a large number of very good and (unlike San Marco) reasonably priced restaurants (including outdoor seating) along Lista d' Spagna between the RR Station and the Ghetto...

Everytime we are in Venice, we would stay right in St. Marks square to be close to the open air concerts at the cafes at night (cafe Flores, and many others, which were actually better, all in St. Marks square...) We stayed up and enjoyed the music and had cocktails/ice-scream drinks until 01:30 a.m., and the ambience was trully magical...

Our hotel rooms at Hotel Gritti Palace and our mom's room at the Bauer Venezia were both a block away (walking distance). Many of our cruisemates stayed at the 3 star Hotel Ala (Best Western), (across from the Gritti Palace in the same square), and were very happy with it. Some of the rooms also had views of the canal, and breakfast supposedly included...

For your first time in Venice, I would suggest somewhere around Piazza San Marco in order to orient yourself quickly. After that, any place within a 20 minute walk is great, quieter, cheaper...

Remember, the train station is only 30 minutes on foot or by vaporetto. I only did it in this time once to catch a train...the other times it's taken much longer due to shopping! Nothing is far!

We stayed in the Dorsoduro district which is across the Accademmia Bridge from the area being described as "St. Mark's Square". It is quiet and has many restaurants but is still easy to walk to and from. We stayed at Hotel Accademmia. See TripAdvisor.com for reviews of hotels. I find it very informative and write reviews there myself.

I also like the Dorsoduro area south of the Accademia bridge. It is very quiet and peaceful and yet a 10 minute walk to St. Marks. You do get a flavor for how the locals live. We stayed at La Calcina (very reasonable) in May of this year- it was delightful- service, amenities. And stayed at the Pensione Accademia two years ago, just a short walk from La Calcina right off the Grand Canal- also a gem. Both are well rated on Tripadvisor. Great breakfast at La Calcina!

just returned - stayed at Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal - ~ $300/night but we loved it. Right next to the shuttle to the ship (free and it took our luggage). stunning location, extremely convenient, quiet rooms...

there were 6 of us so we took the water taxi which was outstanding. We were in our rooms 1 hour after we landed at the airport and after flying all night the water taxi was really fun.

Just got home from the June 20 Millenium. We stayed at the Duodo Palace. It is between San Marco Square and the Rialto Bridge. It has a water taxi dock which made it easy to get to. The staff was very helpful and it had an adequate continental breakfast.

Anywhere you stay near St, Marco - be prepaired to pay at least $300.00for 3 stars and for the Palace - starts at 800 euros. It is a lot fun to be right there...., and the concerts are great. But I would stay near Piazza Roma ( train station) -easy access to every point along the Grand Canal and to the pier and an airport. There is a bus, going to the airport for 1or 2 euro p.p.

Archived