Cozumel snorkeling

LisaRae

We are going on the Carnival Glory in October and we will stop in Cozumel. We love to snorkel and we had a great snorkel in Grand Cayman, but not so good a snorkel in Antigua. I think the big difference was that we snorkelled from the shore in Antigua rather than off the boat as we did in Grand Cayman. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into the best places to snorkel in Cozumel. The ship offers excursions to the following: Island Adventure Snorkel Villablanca Reef, Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Party, and an Unlimited Snorkel (don't know where.) Any suggestions? I really can't tell if any of these is from the shore or from the boat. I'm going to try to see if the Carnival customer service knows, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help.

LisaRae

These are all big boat snorkel trips if I'm not mistaken. Lots of people all flapping around in the water together. It wouldn't be my choice. Either shore snorkel at Dzul Ha or Corona Beach or pay the $60/person or so it will cost for a high-quality, small group boat snorkel tour that hits some of the shallower reefs down at the south end of the island -- most notably Columbia Shallows. The key is small groups. No more than 12 if the boat is big enough for all of you to get into the shade when you're not in the water.

We thought the snorkeling at Dzul Ha was pretty good (for the cost of an $8 taxi ride from the dock (one way) - a lot cheaper than than a snorkeling boat.) BTW - at least 3 snorkeling boats pulled up to Dzul Ha while we were there - I am sure they paid a lot more than our taxi cost us

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

LisaRae

Hola ,

Cozumel has many options when it comes to snorkeling. You can book a trip to the reef through the cruiseline or an independent. Personally, I would go to Chankanaab Park or to Dzul Ha. These have great snorkeling from shore and can be had for the price of a taxi ride. (Chank has a $12 pp entry fee.) If you want privacy, book through an independent and take a boat trip. The cruiselines have good tours but they tend to be crowded and rushed.

In Belize you can book a trip to one of the islands for the best snorkeling. There are some bargains to be had with a little research. My in-laws got a trip for $40 pp at the tender dock. Do a Google.

LisaRae, Carey gives some good advice. All of the trips you mentioned that are available through your ship will be very crowded. We see them out there when we're on our way down to the reefs for diving and they're all so jammed up in the water. I call it "bumper snorkeling." For any sort of snorkel tour, you are far better off booking a smaller trip on your own.

I recommend Eagle Ray Divers. We just got back from a 10-day stay in Cozumel and had a blast diving with them. On most days, we had only 4 people plus our divemaster. The most "crowded" day we had 7 plus the divemaster. The same is true for snorkeling. They keep their groups small and are able to provide better personal attention. And Raul is an awesome snorkel guide, should you get him.

They offer a 2 or 3 reef trip. The 2 reef trip tends to stay closer to the marina and is designed especially for those guests who have a limited amount of time on the island and may want to do other things like hang out at a beach or go shopping. The 3-reef trip includes lunch and you do visit some of the reefs that are farther south, like Colombia Shallows and Palancar.

Their website is: http://www.eagleraydivers.com/Diving.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Cozumel (via Carnival Sensation from New Orleans). We booked a private snorkeling boat with Roswitha Flury - Mystic Snorkeling. We had a great time - she gave very personal attention, and helped my 5 yr. old daughter a lot by towing her along with a rescue bouy. We went to several nice shallower locations, but you can request whatever you want. I arranged the whole thing via email - she patiently answered my million questions.

http://www.islacozumel.com/

Roswitha Flury [kuda1@hotmail.com]

I just returned from cozumel and used eagle ray. Raul indeed was a fantastic guide and made the experience top notch for us. He was very knowledgeable about the fish and as excited as we were about seeing them. He often would dive down and point out things I never would have seen on my own. There was just my family of three on the boat. My taxi driver did not know where the eagle ray boats were docked so he had to drive around a bit asking others at the dock. When we found the boat we were early and found there is little shade to wait in except next to an old shack. Once Raul arrived and we were on the boat, there was plenty of shade. Thanks to those who recommended eagle ray, we would have booked a cruise snorkeling outing and know it would not thave been as nice. :)

It should be around $6 or $7 each way from whichever pier you're docked at. At the conclusion of your trip, once you return to the marina, Chellie or your guide will call a taxi for you. So, getting back to the pier or into town or wherever you want to go will be no problem.

Everyone who's used Eagle Ray Divers or Mystic Snorkling, how did you pay for your excursion? I've spoken to Rosi of Mystic Snorkling, and she wants a (small) cash deposit up front, but will not accept registered mail. It kind of bothers me that I cannot pay with a credit card, and am not allowed to have a record of her recieving payment. Is this par for the course in Cozumel? Did anyone have a different experience?

Thanks

DTK

Everyone who's used Eagle Ray Divers or Mystic Snorkling, how did you pay for your excursion? I've spoken to Rosi of Mystic Snorkling, and she wants a (small) cash deposit up front, but will not accept registered mail. It kind of bothers me that I cannot pay with a credit card, and am not allowed to have a record of her recieving payment. Is this par for the course in Cozumel? Did anyone have a different experience?

Thanks

DTK

We just got back and used Eagle Ray Divers on 7/8 (see my other post). I too was a little nervous about sending a check, but had NO PROBLEM!!! Chellie is wonderful to work with. She is very prompt about getting back to me, answered ALL my questions, and let me know immediately when she reveived my money. We paid $50 up front (via check) and the remainder in cash once we were on the boat.

I would recommend them 100% for snorkeling.

Eileen

I guess I wasn't specific - Mystic Snorkling doesn't accept personal checks, either. They want a money order up front, and will not accept it if I send it registered mail. It's good to know that Eagle Ray Divers accepts checks. I will probably contact them and check out their pricing.

Thanks!

You may already have figured this out but Eagle Ray will accept a check for the deposit only. When you pay the balance in person, they will accept only cash. Thought I might mention that in case you didn't know. We booked with them a couple of months ago and are scheduled to be there in a couple of weeks...I am trying to find coverage now of the hurricane damage they suffered...praying they are all okay.

Tanya

You will love Eagle Ray Divers as they do a terrific job. Have never been with them when there were more than 7 people. Bernardo is a great guide and points out many things in the ocean that you might miss. Have been trying to reach Chellie but lines are probably down because of hurricane. Just praying all are safe. She is usually quick to reply so keep trying if you have trouble. The balance of your excursion is paid that day and they will accept cash, Mexican pesos, or travellers checks. They DO NOT accept credit cards. Once your deposit is received Chellie will send you a confirmation e-mail and she is great to correspond with. Have a great time and and if you go with Eagle Ray tell Chellie, Antonio, and Bernardo hola from Leigh and David.

We just returned yesterday from the Elation. We did a 2 reef snorkel trip with Eagle Ray and they were just great. I would highly recommend them. It was just a small dive boat, as oposed to those big party catamarans that you see everywhere. It was just our family of 4. Oscar, their nephew was our guide. We were also accompanied by a young woman (I think it was Oscars sister) but I don't remember her name, and the captian, Zorro. It was so nice not to be in one of those giant masses of snorkelers with their big orange life jackets. They gave us the option of wearing them or not, (we chose not) but they always had a life ring in the water in case one of us needed it. Oscar was great with my sons, showing them all kinds of different fish and stuff. They made sure before we left the dock that all of our equipment fit properly. They had a platter of fresh fruit, and snacks along with all the water, soda and beers we wanted.

If you are concerned about the check thing, you can book with them through cozumelinsider.com and put the entire thing on a credit card. That's what we did, and it worked great.

Best of luck and have a great trip.

Archived