What's different about Costa?

Cruisemom39

We will be sailing on the Mediterranea in November, eastern carib. We have sailed NCL, Carnival and RCCL in the past. I'm thinking Costa will be a different type of cruise - what do you find that's unique about Costa?

Also, what percentage European vs American guests on carib. cruises approximately?

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one has ever answered your question but perhaps you've learned enough from the other postings to answer your question.

We did the rather small Costa Tropicale two years ago and it was great fun. In my opinion, here is what Costa does differently:

1) On European cruises, few Americans. Of 1100 on board our cruise, there were just 35 passengers that listed English as their primary language and most of them were English or Irish. Only about a dozen Americans. Thus, if you want an international experience, Costa is a great choice. Fellow passengers were surprised to find Americans on board but we were treated well by passengers and crew. The percentage of Americans will be much higher on their Caribbean sailings out of Fort Lauderdale because they have excellent prices. I suspect that Costa's larger ships on European sailings will have more Americans as well.

2) Those Italians know how to Party! The lounge band played dozens of classic Italian tunes and people of all ages were up dancing. The disco started late and was always crowded. Whether you want to partake or just watch, it's a very fun experience.

3) Very well dressed passengers. Especially the women....lots of Italian designer brand name logos (Diesel, Miss Sixty, Gucci, Faragamo, etc.) being flaunted. If you like to show off names, you won't be out of place on Costa!

4) Surprisingly good food. Lots of different opinions of course but they make their own pasta, know how to make Italian dishes but can also deliver great steaks and potatoes.

5) Excellent port selections. Lots of destinations you're not going to get to sailing Royal Caribbean, Princess or Carnival. If you want to visit Tunisia, Egypt, Malta, Canary Islands, this is your line.

6) Toga Party! (Optional) No one else does a toga party!

Well, that's what I can recall. See my other post about Costa sampler cruises this winter.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

Cruisemom39

We were on the Mediterrenea in the West Caribbean last Feb. and the American/English speaking vs. European passenger ratio was about 50/50. And of the 50% English speaking maybe half were UK or Irish. Lots of French and Spanish, some Italians and Germans. All announcements were in 5 languages.

We had a great time and met some wonderful people.

I liked KingboboftheNorth's explanation/differences of Costa.

Have a great cruise

I'm surprised at that (though not bothered in the least). I guess it never occurred to me that there would be a significant European component to Caribbean cruises, particularly when adding in airfare. I hope we, too, have a good many European passengers, English speaking and non-English speaking, on our sailing as it will make for a neat vacation. It will be a nice departure from the usual all-American clientele on some other lines and give my kids a new experience. Thanks again!

There's another posting someone here in the Costa section where someone said they were annoyed because the announcements were in 5 languages. To me that is part of the fun. I think it's incredible when one person can announce the same information in that many languages. I think it's part of what makes Costa different, and enjoyable!

Cruisemom, if you're sailing in November there probably won't be as many kids on board as if you'd sail outside the school year. Still, I'm sure there will be some and often the school calendars in Europe are completely different than what we do here.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

next up:

Sovereign of the Seas (10/05)

Costa Mediterranea (01/06)

We sailed Costa Romantica to the Western Carribbean and had a wonderful time. The food was so great, I still have fantasies about the fresh pasta on the back deck at lunch! One thing I did notice with all the Europeans on board...they all seem to smoke. Not a big deal to some people, but horrible to others. The staff was really friendly and attentive, ship was beautiful. Have a great trip.:)

Archived