NOT another packing thread

DebBrown

Well, OK, maybe it is but I need advice on packing for a 9 day on a European cruise. We are limited to 50 lbs. per bag. We will each have our 2 carry ons as well. Of course my initial instinct is to pack any and every thing we may need. As the weather can be so unpredictable there, I feel like I should pack a rain poncho and jacket as well. I also plan on only packing for 5 or 6 days and having laundry done on the ship.

Any tips for packing lightly?

I have to stop looking at these packing threads!

Here is what we took for an 11 night TA followed by 30 days in Europe by train and pre & post hotels stays:

WP_20130522_001.jpg

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me and 2 for DH, plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I have to stop looking at these packing threads!

Here is what we took for an 11 night TA followed by 30 days in Europe by train and pre & post hotels stays:

WP_20130522_001.jpg

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me and 2 for DH, plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

WOW! You are my new hero!!! Do you roll your clothes or do any of the other special means of packing?

WOW! You are my new hero!!! Do you roll your clothes or do any of the other special means of packing?

Not really - I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

Archived