Penthouse Deck vs Sky Deck - Summit

Kiwis

Hi All,

We're very new to this, we're travelling in Concierge Class on the Summit. Do you think we should go for a guarantee room on the Penthouse deck or go for room 9045 on the Sky Deck?

What does guarantee mean, does that mean your guaranteed a room on the Penthouse deck, but they're not sure of the number at this stage?

Also I've read on hear about 2A, 2B, 2C cabins, how do you know which cabins are which?

Thanks in advance!

If I wasn't CC, I'd do one of these front staterooms on deck 6. I believe it is the first 8 staterooms on both sides of the M Class ships.

Now as far as CC guarantee, I can promise you that you will see no better than a 41 sq ft balcony as I had in 9140 on my first cruise as CC. AFT CC has 200 sq ft balcony aka verandah as we call it as millionairres being there, since we feel like that. Then a few are in the jointed areas that have a double size balcony. As I said I had 9140 & it was 8x5.5' & next to us was 2B cabin with a double size balcony............

So check with your TA if you can luck out with at least a double size, but for the cheape rate, don't count on it.

Not another kiwi? ;-)

We have just got back from a cruise in Alaska on Summit. Personally I would choose the penthouse deck over sky deck. The sky deck has quite an overhang above from the sports deck so your balcony would be shaded most of the time, whereas this is not a problem on the Penthouse deck. Though I have no firsthand experience I have also read that some of the sky deck cabins can be noisy because of the public areas directly above.

The Penhouse deck is lower which is always an advantage if you are prone to seasickness. It is also more handy for the restaurants, theatre etc. Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

PS "GUARANTEE" means that at this point they cannot allocate a cabin number (many people reserve cabins but cancel before they have paid in full so cruise lines always allow for this) but they guarantee a particular type or class of cabin. The advantage of this is you can be fortunate and score an upgrade at no extra cost.

We were on the Penthouse deck last summer and agreed we'd go right back if we sail on an M-class ship again. (We did not have one of the front cabins. We could have but didn't know its advantages. Darn.) The Penthouse deck is positioned midway in the ship. We hardly ever took the elevators; we walked b/c we were rarely far away from the deck we wanted. We were above the Theater but never heard anything.

I strongly recommend the PH deck.

M/R

There are only 4 CC cabins on the Penthouse deck of M class ships: 6135, 6136, 6143, 6144. Since these get booked relatively quickly because of the oversized teak balcony, I'm afraid that your hopes of a CC guarantee on the Penthouse deck will not happen. If one of these is available, get it reserved and forget the guarantee.

I'm so glad I got in quickly and secured Cabin 6135 on the Millie. At the time 6136 was also available, and I mentioned it to our friends who will be cruising with us, but they hesitated and lost out. But they were on Sky Deck this past winter on Summit in a CC and they loved it, so they booked the same cabin.

Hi Kiwifruit - nice to see another kiwi using Celebrity!

So if we went for the guarantee, there is no guarantee that we'll actually get a CC room at all?? Definitely will not be worth losing our CC room..

thanks for all the advise!

A couple more bits of info.......Last December took our second cruise on the constellation. Had a CC cabin on sky deck, 9101 i believe. CC is very very nice and worth the money in my book. But, the sky deck is noisy with lots of strange sounds at all kinds of different times, sounded like furniture moving above.

We are booked again on the constellation this coming december. Could only get a guarenteed 2C cabin as the cruise was pretty full. I had never had a "guarenteed" cabin so was apprehensive. However, we lucked out as we were assigned cabin 6048 which has a large triangular balcony. This cabin, as well as its twin on the other side 6053, are at the end of the forward cabins that were refereed to earlier. If you do some searching you can find info and even some great pics of those cabins with the large balconies referred to earlier.

Granted, we aren't talking CC here so you may not be interested.

If they give you a CC guarantee, then they are obliged to give you a CC cabin or better so you may score an upgrade

I'd second what Kiwifruit is saying here - and definitely go for the penthouse deck over sky deck. We have just returned from a cruise on panorama deck, and looking up at the overhang over sky deck cabins, I made a personal note to myself NEVER to book a sky deck cabin.

I've also heard of the complaints about the noise above sky deck.

Hi,

We've been in staterooms 9094 and 9148 on the Sky Deck, and had NO problems with noise whatsoever.

The overhang is a plus for us: it helps to keep the stateroom from being blinded by sunlight and gives us a comfortably shaded place to relax on a veranda without being broiled. If we want to lay out in the sun, we can go up to deck 11.

Re 9094: be advised it has a microscopic veranda. If verandas are important to you, avoid this room! It is a stateroom immediately forward of the Celebrity Suites, and offers almost no privacy because of it. A good stateroom, convenient to midship, but it should be at a reduced rate due to how the balcony is chopped off.

CM

Archived