Haven't cruised in a while - got some general questions about Paradise & other stuff

We are going on the Carnival Paradise in Sept 2013. My last cruise was in 2008.

1. Data plans / Wi-fi?

Do they offer wi-fi throughout the ship, or just in the internet cafe? I was hoping I could buy a data plan or something so my dh and I can use it to text (via Tango, and internet based text service) each other. I don't want to use cellular service. Or should I just buy some walkie talkies?

2. I see that I can buy my excursions online now. Do they tend to sell out quickly? How far ahead of time should I buy them? We are not into scuba diving or snorkling - are those the most popular? We are going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

3. I heard here that the Paradise has not had the Fun 2.0 upgrades done yet. What will I be missing?

4. I looked at sample menus on Carnival's website and didn't see Lobster - do they still have it?

5. Do they still do the midnight chocolate buffet?

Any other major changes on Carnival in the last 5 years I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

1. Data plans / Wi-fi?

Do they offer wi-fi throughout the ship, or just in the internet cafe? I was hoping I could buy a data plan or something so my dh and I can use it to text (via Tango, and internet based text service) each other. I don't want to use cellular service. Or should I just buy some walkie talkies?

2. I see that I can buy my excursions online now. Do they tend to sell out quickly? How far ahead of time should I buy them? We are not into scuba diving or snorkling - are those the most popular? We are going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

3. I heard here that the Paradise has not had the Fun 2.0 upgrades done yet. What will I be missing?

4. I looked at sample menus on Carnival's website and didn't see Lobster - do they still have it?

Thanks!

We were on the Paradise in 2011 and loved it! I will do my best to answer some of your questions.

1. I believe that the Wi-Fi is ship wide. We looked into it, but decided not to bother with it as we were on the cruise to relax and not worry about everything else! Besides, the family had the number to contact us in case of emergency.

2. Don't know much about the excursions as we rarely do them. I have read here on the boards that excursions can often be booked directly for much better rates.

3. Paradise does not have the 2.0 upgrades. I have not been on a 2.0 ship yet, but from what I can tell, the major things are Guy's Burgers, the Blue Iguana Cantina, Red Frog rum bar, EA Sports bar, Punchliner brunch, more/better waterslides, etc. However, most of the 2.0 ships have lost the Mongolian Wok, Sushi bar and don't offer MDR breakfast except on port days.

4. They still had Lobster when we were on board. It was on day 2, Formal Night. Check this link. It should be pretty much the same menu that you will have.http://zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalElation/menus/dinner.htm

5. I'm pretty sure they had the chocolate buffet when we were on. I'm not sure about now though.

Hope I've been able to help a bit! Have fun!

On west coast chocolate buffet is last sea day, and limited to brownies, cookies, etc. Not worth the calories IMO. No fondu or chocolate fountain.

Wifi is available in cabins, you set it up through a browser that pops up when you turn on your iPod etc. then you chose your plan- so many minutes for a set price or pay as you go. Slow Internet. It can run up to $25 for just 15 mins service

Paradise does have the "Chocolate Buffet", but it's in the afternoon on one of the sea days. It'll be set up right across from the ice cream/frozen yogurt machines, in the buffet area. It's not highly advertised, so you'll have to watch for it, and YES they do have the chocolate fountain, with all the fruit that can be coated etc. Pretty good!

IMO, the main thing you'll miss on "Paradise" since it doesn't have the 2.0 upgrades is the less than GREAT shows. Paradise still has the EXCELLENT shows with lots of dancers and singers, and a pretty good selection of musicians to go along with it. ENJOY the shows, while you can. They're GREAT!

"SKY"

Must agree with Ken the show's are great. You will miss Steve ( CD ) as he will be on holiday that mth.

Great crew, good food. Tampa port is the easiest to get around in also.

Enjoy, we were looking at a early Sept date on her but don't want to cruise without Steve so are going in Oct.

Char

She has a pool and two hot tubs on 11aft instead of the newer waterpark. The area is much quieter than the Lido. When viewed from deck12 it is a hidden Mickey, lol.

There is a slide that lands in the Lido pool.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Paradise in May (there's a link to my review in my signature). Yes, there was lobster! :) I didn't notice a chocolate buffet but we were on the 4-day cruise, not the 5-day. Maybe they didn't have it or we just didn't notice it.

It probably depends on the excusion if they sell out or not. We booked an excursion on-line but unfortunately, it got cancelled so we had to find something else last minute. There were plenty of excursions still available for Cozumel. We did the Mini-Speedboat tour and it was a blast.

The only change I can think of in the last 5 years is that you no longer have to take your life jacket to the Muster Drill.

Have a great trip!

1. Data plans / Wi-fi?

Thanks!

Just off this ship yesterday morning! They do offer internet but it is not cheap. If you absolutely need to be able to contact each other I would do the walkie talkies. We had a group of 6 and we just used the phones in the cabins and throughout the ship if we needed to get a hold of someone which was rare.

I am not one of big crowds and paying lots of money so I don't do the ship offered excursions. Depending on what you want to do I found Nachi Cocom through a review on here and we decided to try it out. I really liked the fact that they limit it to 100 people per day! Everyone in my group was happy with our decision. Food/drink/beach/pool all included!

Haven't been on a upgraded 2.0 ship yet so I don't know what you will be missing.

Lobster is offered on the second night at the formal dinner and my husband said it was pretty good!

On the second sea day we ate lunch at the MDR and the waiter told us about the chocolate buffet but I'm not sure when/where it was but that it is on that day.

Other than what was stated about the life vests at the muster drill not much has changed in the last 5 years!

The ship needs a little TLC in some areas but overall is in good condition! Loved our room steward he was always around! MDR Head waiter we had was awesome and so were the few bartenders we would use throughout the ship. Overall worst part of our trip was debarkation yesterday!

• 3 weeks later...
Just off this ship yesterday morning! They do offer internet but it is not cheap. If you absolutely need to be able to contact each other I would do the walkie talkies. We had a group of 6 and we just used the phones in the cabins and throughout the ship if we needed to get a hold of someone which was rare.

I am not one of big crowds and paying lots of money so I don't do the ship offered excursions. Depending on what you want to do I found Nachi Cocom through a review on here and we decided to try it out. I really liked the fact that they limit it to 100 people per day! Everyone in my group was happy with our decision. Food/drink/beach/pool all included!

Haven't been on a upgraded 2.0 ship yet so I don't know what you will be missing.

Lobster is offered on the second night at the formal dinner and my husband said it was pretty good!

On the second sea day we ate lunch at the MDR and the waiter told us about the chocolate buffet but I'm not sure when/where it was but that it is on that day.

Other than what was stated about the life vests at the muster drill not much has changed in the last 5 years!

The ship needs a little TLC in some areas but overall is in good condition! Loved our room steward he was always around! MDR Head waiter we had was awesome and so were the few bartenders we would use throughout the ship. Overall worst part of our trip was debarkation yesterday!

Jen, my reply is NOT directed personally at you, so please forgive me for jumping in. :) However, OMG I am begging EVERYONE, please please do NOT bring walkie talkies. Slide notes under cabin doors. Use the phone. You can do it. Please respect your fellow passengers. No one else wants to hear it.

Thanks!

~Bob~

Archived