Cruise Ship Porting in Gdynia, ? How best to Visit Gdansk ?

Hi All

We are porting in Gdynia Monday Sept 2, 2014 on the large Costa Pacifica

We are trying to figure the best way to visit Gdansk Old Town

??? How is this best done for the USA cruise visitng couple ???

!!! Thanks in advance !!!

Found this => 'take buses N° 150 or 570 to Gdynia Główna, the main train station in Gdynia (from where there are commuter trains to Gdańsk). A bus ticket costs 3zł (4zł for the faster 570), and a taxi to the centre should come to around 20zł."

Found this => "Shuttle operated by the city (assume it meets all cruise ships) drops you off at the corner of Zeromskiego/Kosciuszki Square"

Edited by bobnsofi

We used the "Gdansk on your own" excursion offered by the cruise line. Traffic was heavy in Gdansk and we were pleased to have no worries about the ship leaving without us. As it was we were so delayed that we missed seeing the Solidarity monument.

• 3 years later...

Any new information on the Gydnia port? Is the only option really to get to Gdansk?

There really isn't a whole lot of information to be found on this port. Is there a shuttle? If trying to avoid being ship excursion gouged, do we take a bus/train? taxi/train? Other options?

Any new information on the Gydnia port? Is the only option really to get to Gdansk?

There really isn't a whole lot of information to be found on this port. Is there a shuttle? If trying to avoid being ship excursion gouged, do we take a bus/train? taxi/train? Other options?

Here's a link to the WikiTravel article about Gydnia:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Gdynia

It's a modern city. In contrast, Gdansk has a restored Old Town that will amaze you with its beauty. If you are more interested in modern history, Gdansk offers the excellent Solidarity Museum. It explains the shipworkers' strike that led to independence for Poland and, ultimately, the collapse of Communism. Gdansk is a great port call. I'd put all my energy into figuring out how to get there quickly to enjoy everything it has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

Traveling on Viking Ocean Cruise. One of our ports is Gdansk and we have limited time there, 5 hours. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle provided by Viking to the city? I am afraid that with the limited time that we have and the distance to the ship, that we will be locked into the one of the ship's excursions.

Traveling on Viking Ocean Cruise. One of our ports is Gdansk and we have limited time there, 5 hours. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle provided by Viking to the city? I am afraid that with the limited time that we have and the distance to the ship, that we will be locked into the one of the ship's excursions.

When we visited Gdansk, like you we had limited time. It seemed a bit time consuming to get public transport, so we bit the bullet and took the ship's excursion. We normally try to avoid doing ship excursions.

My OH particularly enjoyed Gdansk because there is so much WWII history which he is very interested in.

We enjoyed Gdansk and it was the cheapest port of call on our Baltic cruise.

Dear LondonTowner,

Thank you for your response. I agree with your analysis, we will have to do one the ship's offered excursions. Were you on a Viking Ocean Cruise and if so, which excursion did you take in Gdansk?

Thank you.

Lynnseab

Dear LondonTowner,

Thank you for your response. I agree with your analysis, we will have to do one the ship's offered excursions. Were you on a Viking Ocean Cruise and if so, which excursion did you take in Gdansk?

Thank you.

Lynnseab

No, we were on a Fred Olsen cruise. I can't remember what the excursion was called. It may just have been an overview of Gdansk.

We went to where the WWII started, drove past quite a few places connected to Solidarity, saw Lech Walesa's house and had a walking tour of the city. The guide was very good and knew her stuff.

Gdansk is about 45 minutes drive from Gdynia if I recall correctly, so would have taken considerably longer on public transport.

Don't know what your cruise line offers but we were in Gdansk last year on Princess. We took a ship's tour that including a walking tour in Gdansk and a visit to Malbork Castle. The castle is the largest all brick castle in the world and really something to see. The tour also included an excellent lunch. The ride out to the castle through the Polish countryside was very nice.

We had been to Gdansk before and knew how bad the traffic there is. We usually do private tours but did a ship's tour to make sure we would not be left behind if we missed sail-away due to traffic problems.

<<<Karen>>>

Edited by gkkapp
Correction

We are on the same itinerary on Viking Sea in Aug and are also in Gdansk for 5 hours. I found copies of dailies from a Viking cruise in 2016. In all ports Viking provides a shuttle if needed as well as an information point at each port. I think we will be be well taken care of. The 3 1/2 hr included tour covers much of what we want to see in Gdansk, so we plan to take that and then enjoy the town until the last shuttle back to the ship

We are on the same itinerary on Viking Sea in Aug and are also in Gdansk for 5 hours. I found copies of dailies from a Viking cruise in 2016. In all ports Viking provides a shuttle if needed as well as an information point at each port. I think we will be be well taken care of. The 3 1/2 hr included tour covers much of what we want to see in Gdansk, so we plan to take that and then enjoy the town until the last shuttle back to the ship

This is great information to have. That is exactly what we want to do, take the included tour and then spend a little time independently prior to returning to the ship. How do I locate the 2016 dailies that you reference?

Thank you.

Lynnseab