Can anyone share the experience in the Themed Cruise of Drag Queen?

BCCL

I booked a cruise sailing on Nov 30, 13 this year before I knew that it will have large drag queen event there. I will travel with my family (2 adults and 2 small kids) and in-laws and we are from Hong Kong. Therefore, we don’t know anything about drag queen. I contacted the cruise line and the officer mentioned it would have around 1,500 people in this private event.

Can anyone who did same kind of cruise before tell me what should I expect on the ship? I’ve tried to research it on the internet but many video showed the private events inside the theater (which I can’t attend as regular cruiser). What should I expect on other areas which regular cruiser can access such as pool? Will people fully dress up and make up during the day? Will it be too crowd and noisy in the public area?

My family never have cruise and also never see drag queen before. Therefore, I am not sure whether I should cancel my original booking. Please advise.

I believe you're talking about "Drag Star at Sea Cruise" on the MSC Divinia. Since Cruise critic is a very small percentage of cruisers I'm not sure how many if any responses you will get from those that were actually on this particular cruise last year. I believe it's an annual event. Last year it was on Carnival and much was reported in the media when Carnival stated the Drag would not be allow in public - but later reverse it's stand when there was much out cry. Anyway you pose a very good question and although I've never been on a Drag cruise let give you my opinion for whatever it's worth. Drag is where men like to cross dress up in women's clothing mostly for entertainment purposes and many consider it an high art form. This is very different from transsexual or transgendered people so don't get the two confused. I've been to many Drag shows and they can be very fun and entertaining. The ladies work for tips as they sing or lip sync to songs played by the DJ. Both gay and straights enjoy Drag shows. In the US several famous straight celebrities did Drag as part of their act - Flip Wilson and Milton Berl. I'm sure you could find some gay clubs in Hong Kong that do Drag shows on occasion. Unfortunately you won't be able to see any of the shows on the cruise since you aren't part of the group. There is a website from the travel agency sponsoring this cruise and you can Google it for more info under "Drag Stars at Sea 2013."

As far as your cruise - it's a large group to folks (mostly gay, but I'm sure there will be some straights, family members, etc. along too). Certain lounges will be private for those attending shows, etc. but it's shouldn't impact the pool or any other regular events of the cruise. Will you see Drag Stars? Maybe. About 40 professional Drag Stars will be on board. You might see them as they are going from their cabins to the private events, maybe in the lido cafe or main dining room if they are having dinner, but the entire group is NOT made up a people in Drag - just the performers and most be will be only doing drag when there is a special private event and probably mostly in the evening but it could be during the day. Will this impact your enjoyment of your cruise? I don't know- probably not. You might be in awe of how beautiful some these costumes and ladies are as they are quite elaborate. You might wish you could attend the shows. I do know from reading some on the comments from last year cruise that some very conservative and/or religion folks were offended by just the thought of people in Drag or gay/lesbians on their cruise and didn't want their children expose to this and thus cancelled their cruise. Personally I think that's very sad and ignorant, but to each is only. Most kids could care less about people dressing up in Drag. I did hear that those that did go on the cruise had a great time. I can assure you it won't be a boring cruise. I'm sure both the cruise line and private group will do everything possible to ensure everyone has a great time.

Archived