Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim, Manatee Interaction at Chankanaab excursion

kellyrae88

Hey all,

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but there seems to be some conflicting info as to whether or not cameras are allowed at Chankanaab.

I'm really wanting for my wife, who wants to do this, to go in wearing a GoPro or Contour cam on her head or whatever while she's there. I saw at least one video on Youtube of someone who recorded the experience.

From what I gather though, reading several more recent reviews, it doesn't sound like they'll let you go into the water with anything at Chankanaab (or Dolphinaris for that matter).

Can anyone, who has gone recently (like in the past month or two), confirm that cameras are definitely not allowed (maybe they were allowed previously and the policy changed?)?

TIA!

The water park's website states cameras are no longer allowed, not even underwater. I have also called the Customer Service phone number as well, and was told no cameras allowed. But I have this excursion booked for February 7th and I could verify when I'm there, if that isn't too late for you?

The water park's website states cameras are no longer allowed, not even underwater. I have also called the Customer Service phone number as well, and was told no cameras allowed. But I have this excursion booked for February 7th and I could verify when I'm there, if that isn't too late for you?

Our cruise is actually leaving on Feb 15th so that would be perfect timing! I'm assuming, based on the latest news though, that cameras just aren't allowed (even GoPros - just saw a recent Tripadvisor review from October). We'll see - I think my wife may still do it and maybe we'll just end up buying some pictures either way.

My experience there was that they kept saying no cameras right up until the last minute. Then they started selling their own waterproof disposable cameras for $30.

I would bring the camera but be aware of the possibility that the might not allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

• 4 weeks later...
Our cruise is actually leaving on Feb 15th so that would be perfect timing! I'm assuming, based on the latest news though, that cameras just aren't allowed (even GoPros - just saw a recent Tripadvisor review from October). We'll see - I think my wife may still do it and maybe we'll just end up buying some pictures either way.

Just got back from my cruise - have to say this excursion was my favorite!! You will definitely enjoy every minute!

As for cameras on the dolphin swim, no cameras are allowed, not even underwater cameras. The observer area is too far away to take pictures. They do allow observing family members to stand directly on the dock, but only if they do not have cameras on them.

We bought a CD with our photos (69 photos for our group of 2 people, $151USD). The staff were completely unwilling to budge on the price, couldn't barter at all, even though I had read on many sites that the price is flexible. I only had $120 cash on me, and ended up having to use my credit card. The DVD had photos only, no video, and it came with a 1GB dolphin shaped USB drive "for free."

Also, if you have water shoes, I highly recommend wearing them. The platform you stand on is a metal grate, which is slimy in spots and rough on the feet in others. It was hard to get a grip on the platform with the waves moving us around.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your trip! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We did the royal swim and manatee encounter last week. They wouldn't let us wear water shoes for the dolphin swim (because the dolphins needed to touch our feet, not shoes, for the foot push), but we wore them for the manatee encounter.

They wanted $35 each for individual pictures from us, or $251 for a DVD of all of the pics of the three of us (after originally wanting $425!). We walked away and came back later and got down to around $230, but they are still extremely expensive... We really enjoyed the encounters, though! And, I wouldn't mind paying so much if I knew it went to the health and maintenance of the animals, but I just don't know.

Every time someone asks about this excursion I have to add my two cents.

Be sure to wear water shoes. You have to stand on submerged metal grates. They are pretty uncomfortable in bare feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

They made us take our water shoes off before getting in the water. This was when we were there on our cruise last week. We got the picture disk for $161 for the 3 of us with 86 pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by pso418

They made us take our water shoes off before getting in the water. This was when we were there on our cruise last week. We got the picture disk for $161 for the 3 of us with 86 pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

See, that price seems reasonable to me.... $1.87/picture.

As far as water shoes, we had to take ours off also.

Maybe the difference in what we paid (about $230 for 3 of us...haven't counted the pictures) and the other posts is that we did two encounters? Are the prices on the last posts for one encounter (dolphin?). I hope so or I will fume and feel more ripped off than I already do even though the pictures are cute and the experience worth it (so I might huff instead of fume).

I booked through another company (can't remember which SORRY) but it was pretty cool. I'm not sure if it was worth the money exactly but you got to get up close and personal to the dolphins and the push and pull were both pretty amazing. I wish it had been a little longer but oh well. The manatees was sort of unexciting because we got to just stand on the platform and touch them as they swam by but it was pretty amazing just to be that close (they are not soft and squishy like the dolphins just fyi).

The rest of Chankanaab is also pretty nice. Nice little beach area with snorkeling. the snorkeling was very average but I did see quite a few fish. You have a walk down stairs to get into the water vs just walking right in from to sand

The sea lion show is kinda cute and they give time for pictures with the sea lions if you want.

overall, I really enjoyed Chankanaab and in fact plan to go back there when we cruise next week. I doubt I'll do the dolphin thing again simply because I think once is enough especially because of the price but would highly recommend to anyone who has never done it!

oh...also, families aren't allowed close to be able to watch unless you pay to actually get in the water. the pictures they take are really cool but expensive.

Maybe the difference in what we paid (about $230 for 3 of us...haven't counted the pictures) and the other posts is that we did two encounters? Are the prices on the last posts for one encounter (dolphin?). I hope so or I will fume and feel more ripped off than I already do even though the pictures are cute and the experience worth it (so I might huff instead of fume).

I hope so. I will say last June we had the manatee encounter also, but it was only 5-10 minutes and no one took pictures.

Our manatee encounter was just the manatee swimming beside us and we got to feel his "skin". That happened twice and then we were out of the water. We did not get hugs, kisses, or get to feed them.

I do suggest taking a look at the number of pictures you got. I'm guessing (hoping) it's over 100 assuming they took pictures at both encounters.

the manatee encounter we did was a separate "encounter" that we paid additionally for. It was worth it as we've never been with manatees before!

It was also an hour long -- we got to swim with them, feed them lettuce, get pics of handshaking, hugs, kisses. Then we went to our royal dolphin swim and got pics of the foot push, hugs, kisses, turns, dorsal pull -- the experiences were all well worth the prices for the encounters, and similar in price to what we've paid for dolphin encounters in Hawaii and Clearwater (but no one has manatees to swim with!).

We did get pics of three of us individually doing each of the "behaviors" mentioned above, so at least 7 pictures of each of us at the dolphin encounter and at least 4 each at the manatee so it's roughly $7 a picture -- far better than $35! But, I would have rather picked the three of each of us we liked and gotten something less than $230, but oh well. And that they originally wanted $425! I hope no one falls for that! Still seems like they keep raising their prices (or haggling standards) by the week!

AFter the royal dolphin swim they took us by the manatees to hop in with them for a bit, but it was just to quickly touch and feed a bite of lettuce. To get the longer time as we did, I imagine you have to buy the manatee encounter.

They do seem to take good care of their animals and their place. I didn't care for the buffet food, but it was included with the encounter. Otherwise we would have bought some of the menu food. I also liked that the lockers were included in the admission price and you just took the key with you so you could access it at any time.

the manatee encounter we did was a separate "encounter" that we paid additionally for. It was worth it as we've never been with manatees before!

It was also an hour long -- we got to swim with them, feed them lettuce, get pics of handshaking, hugs, kisses. Then we went to our royal dolphin swim and got pics of the foot push, hugs, kisses, turns, dorsal pull -- the experiences were all well worth the prices for the encounters, and similar in price to what we've paid for dolphin encounters in Hawaii and Clearwater (but no one has manatees to swim with!).

We did get pics of three of us individually doing each of the "behaviors" mentioned above, so at least 7 pictures of each of us at the dolphin encounter and at least 4 each at the manatee so it's roughly $7 a picture -- far better than $35! But, I would have rather picked the three of each of us we liked and gotten something less than $230, but oh well. And that they originally wanted $425! I hope no one falls for that! Still seems like they keep raising their prices (or haggling standards) by the week!

AFter the royal dolphin swim they took us by the manatees to hop in with them for a bit, but it was just to quickly touch and feed a bite of lettuce. To get the longer time as we did, I imagine you have to buy the manatee encounter.

They do seem to take good care of their animals and their place. I didn't care for the buffet food, but it was included with the encounter. Otherwise we would have bought some of the menu food. I also liked that the lockers were included in the admission price and you just took the key with you so you could access it at any time.

Just trying to make you feel better about the cost... IIRC, the buffet meal (if you paid separately) is $15pp... so subtract $45 off the package price. And IIRC, we had multiple shots of each activity (yes, you only "need" one to remember it by, but I like more shots), so I bet you're looking at 40 pictures (11 activities * 4 shots each) for each person. That would be 120 images. So, subtract the $45, that gets you to $195, divide by the number of images, and you ended up paying $1.63 for each picture. Feel better? :D

thanks. :)I'm not worried about it -- I was a willing buyer. But, somehow I must have missed this: what is IIRC?

Anyway, we paid $312 for the three of us for the royal dolphin swim ($104 each -- I think there was some book-in-advance discount we got) plus $177 for the manatee encounter ($59 each). The buffet was part of the dolphin swim price, and admission to the park was included as part of either one (we bought a separate admission for our fourth person who did not want to do the encounters and used the $2 off coupon). And then the $230 for photos.

There are probably well over 150 pics on the DVD, so when one breaks that down it is pretty good. They do "shock" you when you first go to them and they say "$425!" I would just rather they have a way to buy the 3 or 4 we really liked (yes, for the most part, they were all good), but hey, the cruise ships do this, too, -- $25 per picture here, another $20 or $25 there...

we're happy; no complaints... they do a nice job there, but there seems to be little consistency in the photo prices... but, hey, it's Mexico and bartering is the way to shop!:)

thanks. :)I'm not worried about it -- I was a willing buyer. But, somehow I must have missed this: what is IIRC?

Anyway, we paid $312 for the three of us for the royal dolphin swim ($104 each -- I think there was some book-in-advance discount we got) plus $177 for the manatee encounter ($59 each). The buffet was part of the dolphin swim price, and admission to the park was included as part of either one (we bought a separate admission for our fourth person who did not want to do the encounters and used the $2 off coupon). And then the $230 for photos.

There are probably well over 150 pics on the DVD, so when one breaks that down it is pretty good. They do "shock" you when you first go to them and they say "$425!" I would just rather they have a way to buy the 3 or 4 we really liked (yes, for the most part, they were all good), but hey, the cruise ships do this, too, -- $25 per picture here, another $20 or $25 there...

we're happy; no complaints... they do a nice job there, but there seems to be little consistency in the photo prices... but, hey, it's Mexico and bartering is the way to shop!:)

IIRC = "If I Remember Correctly".

I agree the price is a little shocking when you first hear it. Fortunately(?) we had gone to an AI (All Inclusive) resort the year before. Through the day, they'd bring various animals (monkeys, parrots, lion cub) around the pool and take pictures with you. They wouldn't let you take your own pictures.

Our three kids got pictures with all the animals. The night before checkout we go to the photo booth and look at the pictures. They really turned out well. How much to put them on a CD? $20 per picture! We went from wanting each child with each animal to each child picking one. :D For a family used to Disney and Photopass, THAT was a shock. Chakannaab's picture price is nothing compared to that.