Comment on Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Lola911

Sihanoukville is one of our ports of call next February on the Nautica. If anyone has been there in the last year I would like to hear your comments on this port. There is a charge of $89 for a Cambodian visa to get off the ship. Doesn't sound like there is much there. Oceania tours are ending with 1 or 2 hours at a beach resort...well heck we have lounges and a pool on ship. My husband feels we might be missing out by not stepping foot in this part of Cambodia. Thanks for replying.

We were on Regent Voyager in 2011 and did a port stop in Sihanoukville during a Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand trip. Similar to you, we were not sure there would be much to experience.

We were incredibly touched by what we saw there. The excursion we were on took us to a village to visit a schoolhouse where we participated in a classroom of what seemed to be 6-7 year old students. The school building was old and in poor shape; the children wore uniforms and were in bare foot. We saw boxes of UNICEF supplies--we were astounded (in a good way) by seeing where all the UNICEF donations went. The posters and art on the walls emphasized the learning of the English language as important to the future of Cambodia. The children sang us a song in English; they were so open to us and wanted to talk to us; they were as children in most places--happy, friendly and eager to learn. I wanted to send them all the money I had left in my life because they were so eager to learn and grow!

We visited a house in the village --no running water, two stories with a family of about 8-10 people with two bedrooms--no beds, just mats to sleep on.

Our guide talked about the importance of family in Cambodian life. He was a "product" of the Khmer Rouge movement of the intellectuals to the countryside. He was about 8 years old when his father, a government employee, and his mother, a teacher, (I may have that backwards) were told they had to move to the countryside. He walked with his parents for two months to where they were told to go. When they got there, his parents were told to report the next morning to the authorities; he never saw them again. Friends and relatives took care of him and his sister until they became adults. Our guide did not tell us this story to have us pity him. What he really wanted to tell us was that when he found the woman he wanted to marry, he could not introduce his parents to her parents as they had been lost to him many years ago. This was a major concern of his as family is so important in Cambodia. Fortunately, he was able to marry her. I am still touched by what I learned there about the recent past in the country and how people have dealt with it.

We also went to the beach resort which was very nice. However, what I still remember today (with tears in my eyes right now!) was what we saw of the spirit and drive of the people to become part of the successful world. They know they are a third world country right now; they are doing everything they can, while overcoming the horrible past experiences, to move into becoming a country of scholars, business people and cultural successes so that their people can have a better life in the future.

That was our experience. I am very glad we did the tour and, to this day, still remember what I learned and experienced that day.

We were there on Nautica in 2011. Cambodia was devastated by the Khmer Rouge and hasn't yet recovered.

At the suggestion of a previous group, we arranged a tour through the Don Bosco school.

<admin@donboscohotelschool.com>

The school teaches hotel skills to young men and women. We started with 8, then 4 more joined on board. All agreed it was well worthwhile.

The tour included a very good lunch at the school.

We were also there in 2011

We hired a private guide who took us to a small village (the poverty was incredible), a church where we met some adorable children and then to the beach where we got foot massages for $5 an hour!! Afterwards, we went to a fancy resort where we got free neck and shoulder massages, had a delicious buffet lunch and enjoyed some local entertainment.

We were there in 2012 and there is not a lot to see. Eight of us hired a private guide in advance and we saw a couple of temples and a national forest. We were embarrassed by the "fishing village" they took us to wit pride.

It is worth seeing just for the contrast to other SE Asia countries and what they will have to do to catch up.

By the way I do not think you have the option to decline the visa. Everyone has to get one whether you get off the ship or not.

DSCN0991.JPG

DSCN0985.JPG

DSCN0963.JPG

Ok, that is interesting Ed/Frank that you are forced to buy the visa. If I wanted to go to the trouble I could get our own out of Vancouver via Seattle b/c I have been in touch with consulate. I am going to check with Oceania next week. Can anyone else comment on this? Did you stay on ship and still have to purchase? Thanks for the photos too...nice of you to post.

We were there in early April. We took the shuttle into town, and then a tuk tuk to a beach resort for the day. I forget the name of the resort, but could likely find it. Paid a small amount for day use, $10 or $15 each, which also gave us a free drink, towels and lounge chairs. Obviously they have a problem with unauthorized use of their beach area as thy came out maybe three times asking if we were guests.

There was a lovely pool with swim-up bar, but we opted for the beach. Ahhh, perfection. There were lounge chairs with cushions under a thatched umbrella. The water was delightful, and we spent a lot of time just enjoying it. Since most people stayed near the pool (with the bar) we practically had the beach to ourselves. It was a very sandy beach, not good for snorkelling.

Regent was in port that day and they had a lunch and show set up further up the beach, but I don't think most people at the resort even knew they were there.

The food in the restaurant looked delicious, unfortunately they never did bring our order so after waiting an hour and asking twice, we opted to return to the beach for one more swim before it was time to head back to the ship. Others seem to order and get food so I guess our order somehow fell through the cracks. Even without lunch it was one of our favourite days.

I had read about inexpensive massages and our tuk tuk driver said he would take us to a good clean place and he actually gave us a cell phone ( I had forgotten that detail) so we could call him early, either to return to the ship or to go for a massage. He actually called us just as we were going o call him. We opted not to do the massage but to enjoy the beach longer. He also went out of his way to give us a little tour of the area which was a nice touch.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Something swallowed my post!!!

When we were in Cambodia this Feb, we got our visa in the airport when we arrived for $20US. We needed to bring 2 photos. They should have a similar process when you dock. Or you can apply for it online with the Kingdom of Cambodia with a small handling charge.

Cambodia is a very poor country and its people are struggling with the legacy of its past. At times we were shocked by their candour, at others our hearts bled for their suffering. Do try to have a visit. Life is not a beach.:(

Mya

We visited Sihanoukville on our Oceania cruise last March as well as Angkor Wat at the end of the cruise. It was necessary for us to purchase 2 different visas since the one Oceania obtained for us was only good for one stop and the one we obtained on line from the Kingdom of Cambodia was not able to be accepted in Sihanoukville since it was an e-visa.

We did the ships excursion in Sihanoukville and it was nice. We went to a snake/bird exhibit, to the Temple, the market and then to a resort with a beach. As others have indicated, it is a third world country so don't expect it to be otherwise. I think sometimes it does us good to see how others live. The Cambodians are very friendly and very proud of their country.

I believe you must have the visa or have paid Oceania for it before you can board the ship.

You cannot get it at the dock as it is only available, I believe at two airports upon entry or as an e-visa. Sihanoukville is not an e-visa port of entry.

Think of it more as a tourist tax than a visa.

Oceania will require a visa before boarding because even though you may not get off the ship you are still entering Cambodian space and additionally they cannot police the people getting off the ship as to whether they have a visa.

Having taken the SE Asia cruise the strongest recommendation I can make is take a few passport pictures. The rules constantly change and, for example, we were told upon arrival in Bangkok that Vietnam would require a passport photo from all passengers staying on shore evernight. Oceania tried to convince the authorities to accept the digital photos taken at boarding but they would not. We all had to scramble to get photos taken.

Extra passport photos are always good to have no matter where the cruise goes.

Having taken the SE Asia cruise the strongest recommendation I can make is take a few passport pictures. The rules constantly change and, for example, we were told upon arrival in Bangkok that Vietnam would require a passport photo from all passengers staying on shore evernight. Oceania tried to convince the authorities to accept the digital photos taken at boarding but they would not. We all had to scramble to get photos taken.

Extra passport photos are always good to have no matter where the cruise goes.

We're doing the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise next February on the Nautica. How many extra passport pictures do you recommend that we bring along?

Hi

We did Snookie and got ourselves an e-visa online for $25 which they e-mail to you. We used

ANA Travel

Sihanoukville

Kingdom of Cambodia

http://www.anatravelandtours.com

For 2 – 3 clients we will use a Toyota Camry saloon car. For 4 – 8 clients we will use a mini-bus. All vehicles will be in good order with air-con.

We offer a $5 per person discount for groups of 6 or more.

SIHANOUKVILLE AREA TOUR

START - PICK-UP FROM THE PORT (QUAYSIDE IF POSSIBLE OR EXIT GATE) OR, IF NOT ALLOWED WE WILL GREET YOU FROM THE SHUTTLE-BUS AT THE MARKET IN TOWN WHERE WE WILL BEGIN THE TOUR.

WAT KRAUM (LOWER PAGODA) - THE LARGEST & MOST IMPORTANT TEMPLE OF SIHANOUK PROVINCE

K’BAL CHHAY WATERFALL - HAVE A SWIM OR JUST RELAX AT THIS PICTURESQUE AND POPULAR PICNIC SPOT

REAM NATIONAL PARK - VISIT PRISTINE BEACHES & A FISHING VILLAGE

OPTIONAL LUNCH - AT A BEACH SIDE SHACK - RELAX IN A HAMMOCK

WAT REAM - GET A BLESSING FROM A MONK AND MAYBE LISTEN TO KHMER PAGODA MUSIC PLAYED ON TRADITIONAL INSTRUMENTS

PEPPER FARM - SEE HOW PEPPER IS GROWN (IN SEASON ONLY)

WAT LEU (UPPER PAGODA) - SUNSET ON A HILL TOP WITH SPECTACULAR VIEWS OF THE BAY & ISLANDS - MAYBE SEE THE PAGODA MONKEYS

PRICE - $45 PER PERSON or $50 WITH SIMPLE LUNCH – FRESH SEAFOOD AT EXTRA COST

INCLUDES - ENGLISH SPEAKING DRIVER/GUIDE; SOFT DRINKS; BOTTLED WATER & ALL ENTRANCES FEES - COMPLIMENTARY KRAUMA (SCARF).

We guarantee to get you back to the ship in time!

Nothing to do in Sihanoukville ??

Adrian

Remember an e-visa is not valid for entry into Sihanoukville so I don't know why you got one!!!

See: "http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/" for list of ports of entry for e-visa.

Hi

I do apologise - I got mixed up with Sri Lanka. We were on HAL and they obtained a visa for us on board for Cambodia for $45 last year.

The trip was worth while especially for the price so even paying Oceania price for visa whether you get off or not makes sense rather than do nothing. Arrival at the market to get our driver was manic but once the others realised you had someone to take you around, they stepped back. Theres no doubt the people suffered and the legacy is still apparent, but we found them trying their best and giving us a day to remember. The best thing we can do for them is go there and spend our bucks. The food was good too !!

Adrian

If not getting off the ship in this port are you still forced to purchase the VISA through Oceania? At time of boarding can I just say we did not purchase a visa because we do not plan to go ashore?

Archived