Sometimes being crazy pays off!

Yikes! You must live right. And you must have a very patient husband. :) Congrats to you. Enjoy your trip and your stay at the Halekulani. I've never stayed there (did a luau there back in the 70s) but I know it's nice. I have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian a few times, though. Gotta love that old Hawaiian charm.

So... how do you guys know what are the desirable rooms? I'm pretty oblivious as to how to do that kind of research.

Desirable is a personal thing. Some of us go nuts for the Aft cabins (huge balconies and privacy), some love the 'hump' cabins cause they are close to everything, some love the cabins at the front of the ship...the list goes on and on:D.

First step is to determine your ship/class, then start surfing the deck plans. If you get seasick, stay in the middle of the ship on a lower deck. If you want to be close to the action stay on an upper deck (though most people will tell you to make sure there are cabins above and below you to minimize noise from venues). Some people swear by deck 6-8 because they are midway between the dining rooms and the pool decks.

Personally, the perfect cabin for me varies by ship, by itinerary and by length of the trip - and price ;). I'll admit it - my goal is to get on the ship in the most affordable way possible and save money to spend on the trip itself (but if a corner aft opens up on a voyager class, I am alllllll over that :p).

Well, I've always said I wouldn't want an aft balcony on a Radiance class ship because of the hike to them, but on THAT cruise with all of those sea days???

I know it's not original, but all I can say is "WOW" (with or without the price drop)!

Enjoy your cruise, you lucky devil.

Way to go, you worked that to perfection. Persistence pays off. I managed to work magic on our Radiance cruise to Hawaii last September. I originally booked an inside cabin, with a series of senior and military discounts managed to climb first to a D1 then a JS for about $350 more per person. Then right about final payment time aft JS 1602 opened up and I managed to slide into it. Made for a very sweet cruise. You will love that aft balcony. :D My Radiance blog in my signature will give you some idea of the view you will have. Enjoy.

Bill

Oh my gosh!! You guys are awesome and I am even more excited now (if that's even possible!).

Norbert's Niece, that is a AWESOME photo!!:cool: We were lucky enough to have an aft facing cabin in Alaska as well, but it was on deck 7.

PCWalton, I read your terrific review!!:D My son is in the Air Force, and I can't give you enough respect. I am so happy for you that you got that cabin. We were supposed to be on your cruise last year!!

I absolutely love this site!! It's nice to know that I am not the only obsessive planner alive!!:D

Tara

Oh my gosh!! You guys are awesome and I am even more excited now (if that's even possible!).

Norbert's Niece, that is a AWESOME photo!!:cool: We were lucky enough to have an aft facing cabin in Alaska as well, but it was on deck 7.

PCWalton, I read your terrific review!!:D My son is in the Air Force, and I can't give you enough respect. I am so happy for you that you got that cabin. We were supposed to be on your cruise last year!!

I absolutely love this site!! It's nice to know that I am not the only obsessive planner alive!!:D

Tara

I am envious of you as you get an overnight in Lahaina. We would have loved that last year as it would have given us the opportunity to go to the Old Lahaina Luau. Guess we will just have to wait till 2015 when we ride Rhapsody back to the mainland.

Bill

Archived