America's Funniest Home Video

Robin7

My kids were watching America's Funniest Home Video tonight. I saw footage of a huge crate (?) of luggage being loaded onto a cruise ship. Something broke and the luggage was dumped into the water beside the ship. :eek:

Does anyone know what ship this happened to or how old the video was? Wow. I just can't imagine having all my stuff show up in my stateroom completely soaked. I assume the cruiseline would pay to have the clothing cleaned and to replace ruined things. My shoes alone would cost them a pretty penny. I have WW, HUGE feet and have to special-order my shoes. Still shaking my head....

Robin

I would hate it to happen to me too, but from what was said on these pages before, I doubt if you would see anything close to the value of your goods. Did I mention my collection of diamonds and jewels would be in the luggage that feel over board and should be replaced? I think they would return only to the insured value of your bag, something under $500 per bag.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I assume the cruiseline would pay to have the clothing cleaned and to replace ruined things.
A number of years ago, on the old Noordam there was not enough space to store the baggage being put off in Acapulco so it was stored on deck under a tarp. The wind came up, the tarp blew off, and the luggage was soaked.

HAL reimbursed me all of my cleaning charges and ‘bought back’ two items.

It happened to luggage being loaded aboard the Oosterdam this February. I was on the cruise where it happened, but my luggage managed to get aboard safely. Mr. Deering told me about some of the details regarding it. Yes, they had divers in the water fishing out the bags. The bags were opened, all the clothing items were either washed or dry cleaned at no charge; shoes where polished, etc. For the most part, very little was actually destroyed -- except, I might mention, for the 3 bottles of whisky that one person was trying to smuggle aboard. The impact with the water, the bottom of the harbor, and the bags that landed on top of the suitcase they was in, caused the bottles to shatter ... adding liquor and stain to the effects of saltwater. I understand that the person's shirts, slacks, and blender were all ruined. And, since the bottles of booze were contraband, HAL had no obligation to try and clean or repair them. But ... they did anyway. ;)

The bags were opened, all the clothing items were either washed or dry cleaned at no charge; shoes where polished, etc. For the most part, very little was actually destroyed

HAL really stepped up to the plate, didn't they? Nice.

Thanks for the information. I can't believe you were on the ship! I just thought maybe someone had heard of the incident.

I had to rewind it and watch it several times. I bet the crew were just as incredulous when it went into the water, too. :D

Robin

For the most part, very little was actually destroyed -- except, I might mention, for the 3 bottles of whisky that one person was trying to smuggle aboard. ;)

What a tragedy! I am now convinced...........I'll use plastic bottles:D

Actually, the Blender breaking was a little bit of tongue-planted-in-cheek humor ("ar-ar-funny"). In truth, however, I was told that the contents of one of the bags was so horribly stained from a few broken bottles of booze that the dress shirts (in particular) had to be discarded. As for plastic bottles ... don't forget that such can easily be squeezed to the breaking point by too much pressure being placed upon them. Safer, still ... abide by the regulations and don't smuggle booze aboard ship. It's not THAT much more expensive (especially not when one factors out such risks) just to buy it from ship's services, than to go to all the trouble of (1) buying it at home, (2) transferring it to plastic -- yum ... don't you just love the taste of alcohol and plastic! -- and, (3) packing it so that it makes the trip safely.

Aprroximately two years ago one piece of my parents luggage was accidentially dropped in the water. Luckily enough it was during disembarkation. This was on one of the RCCL mega-ships (Adventurer?). She had to file a claim and they reimbursed her $200.00, I think, for the damage.

~Kelly

I bought new luggage and some very nice new clothes for my upcoming Alaska cruise....I'm blanching at the thought of it all sinking to the bottom of Seattle's Harbor! I'm sure the owners of the luggage didn't find it amusing, those poor people!

:eek: Jane

Archived