Trans IAH to Galv. then what ?

southbayer

Doing a back to back on Magic, want to rent a car, drive down to hotel day before, then use the car to go to grocery store to pick up sodas and anything misc. But, there is no car rental place open to drop car off early morning of cruise.

$o, doesn't make sense to rent the car for two weeks and park it at a lot, so what should I do ?

Should I just take some kind of shuttle to the hotel in Galveston, then get a taxi to take me to the store and back, then taxi it over to port ?

Back in 2007 I sailed out of Galveston on Conquest. I rented a car at Enterprise at Airport, then kept it that night, then drove to the lone enterprise office on the island and dropped off. Then that enterprise shuttled me over to port. Guess that's not possible anymore ?

What's the best choice ?:rolleyes:

Enterprise is still an option but it is insanely expensive for the one way drop off. Almost $200 when I priced it for pick up at IAH and drop off next day on the island. I am totally struggling with how to get to Galveston for our upcoming cruise!

Enterprise is still an option but it is insanely expensive for the one way drop off. Almost $200 when I priced it for pick up at IAH and drop off next day on the island. I am totally struggling with how to get to Galveston for our upcoming cruise!

How much is the cruise line transfer?

Cruise line transfer is $45 per person to IAH but it is not available if you arrive a day early. We are definitely taking it back to the airport post cruise.

We fly in a day early and book a room in an airport area hotel that has a shuttle from the airport and to the airport (usually a Hampton Inn, sometimes LaQuinta). We take their shuttle from the airport to the hotel the day before, and on cruise day we take it back to the airport and use the Carnival shuttle to the port. It's probably not the cheapest way, but it works very well for us.

We went down to Galveston 3 days early for our last cruise and stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in historic district. We arranged for a limo to take us there and pretty much walked everywhere we wanted to go for the 3 days. The night before the cruise we had a cab pick us up and take us to dinner. We arranged for the same cab to get us after dinner and we stopped at Kroger and bought stuff. All in all, pretty reasonable.

You can also get a cab for about 95.00 each way to pick you up at the airport and take you back.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to confirm this, but whilst doing my research a few weeks ago, I read in a thread that if you rent from a location outside of the airport, it's significantly cheaper. I'll update if I find more info.

• 5 weeks later...

Contact the Galveston Enterprise office directly to find out if they still charge the one way fee. It might still be so since you will start at an airport location. We rented a couple of years ago and dropped off the car at a local Enterprise and there was no extra charge but we had to call the local office directly. Don't try to book through the online service.

From a post on our roll call thread.

“The fact that the Galveston Cruise Terminal is just across the street from downtown Galveston shops, restaurants, museums and attractions makes sailing from Galveston pleasant,” said Leah Cast, public relations manager for the Galveston Island Convention and Visitors Bureau.

With a one-night stay before a cruise, seven Galveston Island hotels are offering complimentary parking for cruise passengers during their trip and a free shuttle to the port. They are the Hilton Galveston Island, Holiday Inn Resort, Hotel Galvez & Spa, Lost Bayou, San Luis Resort, Ryerson Real Estate & Vacation Rentals and Tremont House.

Sounds like an excellent resource.

Call her about transfer information from airports using

rent cars, limos, private shuttles, cruise line shuttles and taxis.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I reserved a compact car from the Enterprise on Will Clayton in Humble, near IAH, for a one way rental to Galveston on a Friday for $56. I've also reserved the opposite trip for $72 on the following Thursday. This was all done by phone. Much better than $40/person for our family of four.

Try finding a rental car agency in Texas City TX, about 15 miles from Galveston.

I saw a post from someone who dropped off in Texas City, took a cab back to the port and then a cab to Texas City to rent again (if you need to)

A Bing search located 3 car rental agencies with offices in Texas City.

Archived