Oceania Shore Excursions - Alaska

sabrefan

Spouse and I are sailing on Regatta on 6/7/14, Vancouver to Seattle. Would certainly be interested to hear both positive and negative comments regarding the shore excursions listed below.

Sitka - Tongass Rainforest Nature Hike

Juneau - Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest

Skagway - Eagle Preserve Float Adventure & Cruise

Icy Strait Point - Whales, Wildlife & Bear Search

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

I would go the ports of call board and ask on the Alaska thread. There you will find much valuable information about excursions in each port. IN general, I would advise that the more private excursions you can do the better.

In Alaska especially many of the excursions in each port are provided by one operator who supplies for many of the cruise lines. So as wripro advised, even though the Alaska board is not cruise line specific there may be 'non-O' pax who took the same excursion. In some Alaska ports the tour providers are sewn up by the cruise lines so you cannot book (or some even contact) directly. You may or may not find something similar privately and the Alaska board is a good place to do that research for private excursions. But if you want those particular ship excursions then you will have to book through O

Being as your cruise is not until next year you have time that you might ask on an upcoming O Roll Call if someone is taking one of these excursions to report back. Sorry we're not taking those excursions and our Roll Call is quiet. O's Alaska Roll call threads in general are pretty quiet.

The 10th anniversary Alaska cruise is sailing next week and I expect that Roll Call to be most active so you might want to try there first before too many start travelling. Usually Roll Calls are most active and most anticipation at that point too.

Enjoy the planning. We are looking forward to our upcoming Alaska cruise on Regatta

We did Alaska on Regatta two years ago. In Juneau, we did the Whale Watching and Forest Trails Hike which we booked through Oceania but was provided by Gastineau Guiding Company. If the excursion description says something about guaranteeing that you will see at least one whale or get $100 back, then the provider is probaby Gastineau. We had an amazing whale watching experience.

I would go the ports of call board and ask on the Alaska thread. There you will find much valuable information about excursions in each port. IN general, I would advise that the more private excursions you can do the better.

Archived