Review: Splendour of the Seas 6/15/13

Great review! I am on Splendour Sept 21, 2013 with the same itinerary.

I think I will book the "Walk the City Walls" tour you took in Dubrovnik as it sounds perfect for me.

For Santorini I was wondering if it is doable to walk up Fira, over to Oia and then reverse it all to get back to the ship. I am in good shape - but realize this may still be too much walking for one day. Thoughts?

Google "Fira to Oia" and you'll find lots of in information, three to four hours each way.

There are chairs out on the promenade deck. Enjoy:)

Ahhh..... you've made my day. We plan to fill up on local cuisine in each port, and that sounds like the prefect place to enjoy some quiet time, and to digest lunch. Well, there's always our balcony, but there's something about a promenade deck that draws me to it.

. . . A few questions -

We will be arriving from Venice airport on bus organised by RCI. Friend has slightly dodgy back. Are we likely to have same issues getting to the ship or do the coaches drop off closer to the terminal? . . .

We stayed at a mainland hotel not too far from the airport and took a private shuttle van to the cruise terminal. It dropped us of right by the door. On another recent Splendour thread I posted a picture showing how close we were. My memory is that the RCI busses were just across the drive, not too far away.

Cruisingator2 im going on this same trip in september after reading your review im excited beyond words. I have a few questions if you dont mind. Which ports did rci offer shuttles into the towns? And were they at an additional cost?

Also we booked the same tour you did in santorini did you feel very rushed in oia?

Cruisingator2 im going on this same trip in september after reading your review im excited beyond words. I have a few questions if you dont mind. Which ports did rci offer shuttles into the towns? And were they at an additional cost?

Also we booked the same tour you did in santorini did you feel very rushed in oia?

I know Corfu and Dubrovnik for sure. I think the cost was $10.00. In Santorini you can take the cable car from the tender landing straight up to Fira and it puts you in middle of town. In Katakolon you dock right at the small town. Don't think RCI offered a shuttle to Olympia but not 100% sure. Same with Athens as you dock in Piraeus.

We would have enjoyed more time in Oia but overall we enjoyed the tour. We are going back next year and will take a taxi or city bus over to Oia on our own to spend more time there.

Im debating whether to do the tour in santorini because we want to spend time in oia but i keep reading its hard to find taxis up there back to fira so im not sure what we should do . Did they give you any free time in oia?

I appreciate your help thank you

One more question - where did you exchange your USD for Euro's? I figure I will need some Euro's while in Venice - so thought I might exchange a small amount at the Venice airport and more on the ship. But obviously I want the best rate possible, with convenience of course.

Is it better to take my ATM card and get some money out of the teller?

One more question - where did you exchange your USD for Euro's? I figure I will need some Euro's while in Venice - so thought I might exchange a small amount at the Venice airport and more on the ship. But obviously I want the best rate possible, with convenience of course.

Yes, the ATM's usually have the best exchange rate. It's also a good idea to notify your financial institution about your travel plans so they don't disable your card on suspicion of fraud.

Im debating whether to do the tour in santorini because we want to spend time in oia but i keep reading its hard to find taxis up there back to fira so im not sure what we should do . Did they give you any free time in oia?

I appreciate your help thank you

We had about an hour and a half in Oia.

We exchanged enough here in Atlanta before I left. We did not need to get any additional euros while on the cruise. We also used our Amex in some places. We actually came home with some euros that we will save for next year.:)

Hmm that doesnt sound too bad. Btw just out of curiousity how were the breakfast on the cruise? Are they like full hot breakfast like eggs , pancakes etc etc ?

We ate breakfast in our cabin all but one morning. Because we were in a suite we had a full breakfast menu but the last morning of the cruise we did dine in the Windjammer and they had plenty of choices including eggs and pancakes. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Great pictures of everything, thanks for posting

Thanks.

Do you think doing an excursion in corfu is worth it? Or should we just take the cryise shuttle and walk around?

We booked the excuraion that goes to the palace and a quick stop in the main town

After our excursion, I would have rather taken the RCI shuttle downtown.

• 2 months later...
Just started booking a "last minute" cruise for this fall, and found your review most helpful. Thanks!

Thanks.

Great review, very helpful.

I did this cruise last year, but for 10 days. You are 100% right about the distance from the people mover to the ship. With all those bags this can be a problem.

This year I'm taking a water taxi, I don't care how much it costs.:D

Thanks. We will be back again in June and this time we have an overnight on the ship in Venice. Will be nice to nt ave to use the people mover.:)

Archived