How long does X spend at the Hubbard Glacier?

uktog

We are on the Infinity in September, where the itinerary says we will be at the Glacier from 1-5pm. However, when I look at the wonderful webcams, it seems most cruises to date are there for variable lengths of time, for example yesterday Summit was there for about 2 hours. What can we expect or does it depend on the sea conditions. Just curious - I know any time there is going to be A1

On the Summit in May, we were near the Hubbard Glacier for about four hours; one hour or so approaching it, maybe two hours nearby, and an hour sailing away from it. Gave us an entire afternoon of viewing. I imagine most ships generally follow this routine. I believe there are also regulations that limit the time a ship can stay there. This was mentioned on the cruise.

Bruce

Hi, We have been on the Infinity twice to Alaska. The first time we were there 4 hours (approach & crusing.) Last year the clouds were so low we could not see hardly anything. It was almost 3 hours that time. Have a wonderful cruise. The Infinity is a amazing ship!

On the Summit in May, we were near the Hubbard Glacier for about four hours; one hour or so approaching it, maybe two hours nearby, and an hour sailing away from it. Gave us an entire afternoon of viewing. I imagine most ships generally follow this routine. I believe there are also regulations that limit the time a ship can stay there. This was mentioned on the cruise.

Bruce

We just came back from the 6/9 10 day Infinity Alaska sailing, and I believe Bruce's time line is right on the money. Our captain got us within 300 yards of Hubbard, just fabulous. He said that this was the closes he had gotten in so far this year. By all means get those camera's fully charged up, you will need it, cause you will take a zillion pictures. It was so awsome!!!! I think Hubbard is my favorite Alaskan Glacier.

The amazing thing about visiting hubbard Glacier to me was this---there must have been 1200-1500 people on deck and you could have heard a pin drop. It was so awe-inspiring! The people who did talk were talking in whispers. What an experience! I'll never forget it. Be sure to grab a blanket before you go on deck. It may be cold.

Archived