Motorcycle or Scooter Rental

River Hill

I have my Motorcycle license in the states and would like to rent a Motorcycle or higher powered scooter when in Bermuda. I have neve been to Bermuda but would like to see lots of sights without having to depend on public transportation. Does anyone know where to rent these from?

Sorry but you can only rent the same scooters that all the tourists rent ( I think they are 50cc scooters). To drive higher-powered scooters/motorcycles you need a Bermudian drivers license, regardless of whether you have a license from the US or elsewhere. That means you'd have to take a written test, make an appointment for a full-fledged driving test . . .etc to get a license that would allow you to drive a decent scooter. Same for driving a car in Bermuda.

Because only someone with a Bermudian license can rent high-powered scooters I don't think the rental places bother to have any to rent. If a local needs to rent a scooter (because theirs broke down . . .etc) they rent a tourist-rental scooter.

riv

swiz gives good advice. you would need a bermuda license. also, the speed limit is restricted. i believe the max speed anywhere is the equivilant of 25-30 mph, so why get a high powered bike? trust me the scooter rentals get you around just fine. rent from "Wheels" or "Oleander", both are good.

• 2 weeks later...

Tourists can only get the 50cc jobs, but they can easily exceed the speed limit, so they are no problem. Oleander is the best outfit - they have several places - near the landings at Dockyard, Hamilton and St. George -- being big, they have good service - free pick-up in case of engine trouble, etc -- most importantly, they have newer machines - good shape, unlikely to have problems - the smaller outfits have some real clunkers

Hey there...just got back from Bermuda and on the third day spent 8 hours in the hospital due to the fact that I wasn't an experienced motor scooter driver. The bus service is wonderful on all areas of the Island, and intend to do that on our next visit. The reason for my mishap was that I looked down while operating the scooter. Always look where you want the moped to go!!! Hope this advice prevents another fall!

Archived