Our Amazing European Adventure! Navigator of the Seas & Norwegian Epic Review w/pics

Since it was so early when we got back to the ship, we had some time to take advantage of a partial Sea Day, I’ll call it! Keith took the kids to the rock wall and then in line skating.

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0920.JPG

DSC_0922.JPG

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

See - he does smile!!

And I took advantage of the Spa Special of the day! They had availability left and I booked a 5:30 appointment for the Happy Hour Special! I’m calling it my Anniversary present! It was a neck, shoulders, feet, ankle, and head massage and a mini facial. It was 50 minutes of pure relaxation! And best of all, there was no sales pitch!

After the spa, I got ready for dinner. Tonight was our Anniversary dinner at Portofino’s. It was really good. Definitely worth the cover charge! I really don’t have many pictures – I was enjoying our meal too much to deal with the camera. But I had the Shrimp Risotto appetizer and the Pesto Pasta for an entrée. Keith had the antipasti and the Tuna for appetizer and the Mushroom Pasta. I’m not sure what we had for dessert. The service was wonderful, and we had a great view of the sea. It was a perfect, quiet meal – just the two of us!

My parents took the kids to Johnny Rocket’s for dinner and then to play mini-golf. They all enjoyed their meals as well.

We all agreed that we enjoyed our day, the weather turned around for us again!

Tomorrow is our last day on the Navigator. Even though we’re moving on to more adventures, I’ll be sad to be leaving this ship. It has FAR exceeded my expectations!

Next up I'll be posting about our last day on the Navigator and then moving on to a few days we spend on land in Italy before moving on to our Western Mediterranean cruise on the Norwegian Epic.

If anyone has any questions about the Navigator, please feel free to ask away!

I was going to post a comparison of how we felt about the two ships at the end but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions now.

Also, as I'm writing I keep thinking of tidbits about how we prepared for the trip, what worked for us as far as paying for tours, packing tips, what to wear....etc. But it doesn't seem to fit with the daily flow of what we did. I was also going to save that up for the end. Again, I'd be happy to answer any questions - or I can just post all those little tidbits at the end! As fist time travelers to Europe we definitely learned as we went!

I hope I still have some out there reading along!

Next up, a super windy day, and packing for part two, or is it part three of our journey?

I am so glad you asked for questions. I hate to hijack a thread but you probably can help me out. DH and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary next year and are starting to plan a Sept 2014 cruise.

I've started researching and was waiting for Carnival to come out with their schedules. We have been quite pleased with our CCL cruises, feeling we get the best bang for our buck. Alas, CCL is not cruising Europe next year.

So........what I've come up with either RCL or NCL leaving Rome on a 7 day Western Med cruise. We would probably fly in 2-3 days early to spend in Rome first.

We have done a couple of RCL cruises, so are familiar with their ships. Our very first and only NCL cruise was back in the early 80's. The Epic looks nothing like that ship did!

I guess I want to know if there was a substantial difference in service and food between the two lines. The cruise rates are very close with RCL about 100 more pp. I'm leaning towards NCL basically because we haven't done NCL in 30 years and it is the least costly. Plus, with such a port intensive itinerary, I don't think we'll be on the ship all that much. I'm just worried I will regret that decision.

we're not hard to please people, never had a BAD cruise, but want the best possible experience, without breaking the bank!

I am so glad you asked for questions. I hate to hijack a thread but you probably can help me out. DH and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary next year and are starting to plan a Sept 2014 cruise.

I've started researching and was waiting for Carnival to come out with their schedules. We have been quite pleased with our CCL cruises, feeling we get the best bang for our buck. Alas, CCL is not cruising Europe next year.

So........what I've come up with either RCL or NCL leaving Rome on a 7 day Western Med cruise. We would probably fly in 2-3 days early to spend in Rome first.

We have done a couple of RCL cruises, so are familiar with their ships. Our very first and only NCL cruise was back in the early 80's. The Epic looks nothing like that ship did!

I guess I want to know if there was a substantial difference in service and food between the two lines. The cruise rates are very close with RCL about 100 more pp. I'm leaning towards NCL basically because we haven't done NCL in 30 years and it is the least costly. Plus, with such a port intensive itinerary, I don't think we'll be on the ship all that much. I'm just worried I will regret that decision.

we're not hard to please people, never had a BAD cruise, but want the best possible experience, without breaking the bank!

Hi! Well, I think my first thought would be before going with the particular line, if you don't really have a preference - look at the ports. Then the time in each port. Also the number of sea days. For me, if I'm going all the way to the Mediterranean, I would prefer less sea days - but that's just me. And I do know you need a break. I realized that on this trip for sure!

But all of that being said - Are you looking at the Epic? If so, comparing that to RCI ships, you will have more dining options, but they are more options you have to pay for. So you will need to keep that in mind when planning your budget. You could eat in their MDR's each night - but there are many specialty restaurants to choose from. The Epic does have more in the way of "big" shows - with their Blue Man Group, Legends, and Cirque Dinner show for example, but sometimes fitting them in with the reservation system and Freestyle concept can be a bit difficult. Mind you, we saw them all, so it works! But the system is just "different".

On neither ship did we find any staff to be unpleasant. The Epic definitely had far more families with small children. I didn't find this to be an issue or any sort of a problem. But I just thought walking through the hallways to the cabins dodging strollers was something I never remember doing on a cruise ship before.

We never had a problem on either ship finding pool chairs - but we didn't try to get them right by the pools either.

I will go into more details when I do the review of the Epic. The Epic did have much less of a feel of being out on the sea though. Other than the pool deck, there was not too many places to actually get a feel for being on a ship. Some of the dining venues had windows with nice views, but if you weren't eating sometimes it felt like you were in a shopping mall.

I really don't think you would regret either line. And you're right - you won't really be on the ship that much. Either way, you're on a cruise in the Mediterranean! :D Hmmm - I don't know that I was too helpful! I guess I'd say - that when I book our next cruise, I plan to go for the Oasis or Allure - if that tells you anything ;)

I am enjoying your review very much. We are thinking about a European 20 year wedding anniversary cruise. Your planning is incredible. You got the most out of each and every day and had a trip of a life time!

Thanks for hanging in there! It's good to know people are still reading. I started to wonder! ;)

A European cruise would be the perfect way to spend an anniversary!

I'm already trying to figure out where we can go next! If only our budget would allow.....sigh.

I'm really enjoying your review!! I'm so glad we still have another week + with you and on the Epic no less! Please do post all of your tips n tricks at some point - our Med Cruise in October will be our first European cruise!

Thanks for the review, I'm really enjoying it.

We will be doing the same cruise on Navigator in September. I have a question about the bus in Crete, was it a public bus or something organised by the ship. Is the stop easy to find and how long did it take to get into Chania. I think we're just going to have an easy day wondering around town.

Thanks,

Julie

Still reading and enjoying your review! My family (myself, husband and four kids - 17, 19, 21 and 23) were on the Navigator June 2 - 9. It's so fun to see your pictures and relive our trip as well. We did many of the same things - though only took the bus into Chania to do a little shopping. I agree that a longer port time would have been nice - then we would have done a boat tour too.

And to answer the previous poster - it is a city bus but that runs about every 20 minutes (more often when people are leaving the ship and wanting to return) and leaves right from the terminal (where the ship docks.) It takes you right downtown - though to get to the shopping area you have to walk through a covered market area and then turn left. You can buy your return ticket when you purchase them as you leave the terminal. I believe they were 1.5 euro each way and it takes about 20 minutes each way.

:) Michelle

And to answer the previous poster - it is a city bus but that runs about every 20 minutes (more often when people are leaving the ship and wanting to return) and leaves right from the terminal (where the ship docks.) It takes you right downtown - though to get to the shopping area you have to walk through a covered market area and then turn left. You can buy your return ticket when you purchase them as you leave the terminal. I believe they were 1.5 euro each way and it takes about 20 minutes each way.

Thank you, we'll give it a try:)

Julie

Thanks for the review, I'm really enjoying it.

We will be doing the same cruise on Navigator in September. I have a question about the bus in Crete, was it a public bus or something organised by the ship. Is the stop easy to find and how long did it take to get into Chania. I think we're just going to have an easy day wondering around town.

Thanks,

Julie

You'll love the Navigator!

I believe the bus was a public bus, but it came right to the port and seemed to be running back and forth directly to and from the port. We didn't get it right at the port, but there was a place right there to get your tickets and you could purchase round trip or one way. The buses were coming at a good pace it seemed.

Then going back, there was an area in the more city like part of town, right outside of the Harbor area, I assume it was where you were dropped off - it was full of buses going to all different areas. The buses to the port were marked as "cruise port" or something obvious like that. If you didn't already have a ticket you could get them at a newstand type place. It was pretty simple. I want to say the ride was no more than 20 minutes, maybe less? The ship said to allow 45 minutes, but it didn't take nearly that long. I suppose that would allow for traffic.

Still reading and enjoying your review! My family (myself, husband and four kids - 17, 19, 21 and 23) were on the Navigator June 2 - 9. It's so fun to see your pictures and relive our trip as well. We did many of the same things - though only took the bus into Chania to do a little shopping. I agree that a longer port time would have been nice - then we would have done a boat tour too.

Missed reading your answer! I just posted mine - thanks for the reply -it's got much better details! Thanks!

Yes..I am still reading, check this thread daily!!

Next up I'll be posting about our last day on the Navigator and then moving on to a few days we spend on land in Italy before moving on to our Western Mediterranean cruise on the Norwegian Epic.

If anyone has any questions about the Navigator, please feel free to ask away!

I was going to post a comparison of how we felt about the two ships at the end but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions now.

Also, as I'm writing I keep thinking of tidbits about how we prepared for the trip, what worked for us as far as paying for tours, packing tips, what to wear....etc. But it doesn't seem to fit with the daily flow of what we did. I was also going to save that up for the end. Again, I'd be happy to answer any questions - or I can just post all those little tidbits at the end! As fist time travelers to Europe we definitely learned as we went!

I hope I still have some out there reading along!

Next up, a super windy day, and packing for part two, or is it part three of our journey?

Sunday, June 15th, Sea Day

Today was a mixture of relaxation and yet somehow busy, if that somehow makes sense! We slept in just a bit. Maybe until 8:00 or so! Alex didn’t get in until super late again, so I didn’t sleep well until he was safe and sound in his cabin.

Anyway, Keith and I went to the buffet today, just the two of us and had a nice breakfast together. Somehow when it’s just us it’s not nearly as hectic as when all 6 of us or even 4 of us are there! When we got back we woke the kids up and tried to convince them to not waste the last day sleeping and watching tv.

I decided I wanted to do the Walk for Wishes, which is a charity walk for the Make a Wish foundation that Royal Caribbean sponsors. You donate $10 and get a t-shirt to wear while you walk. Then you meet at 10:30, I believe it was, and the whole group walks around the track until you walk 1 mile. The money is donated to the Make a Wish foundation so that terminally ill children can have their wishes granted. Some kid’s with wishes to be on that ship were there on this cruise. It’s a very heartwarming thing to do. The ship officers and captain participate in the walk. Mimi and I did the walk, five times around the track. When we were done they took a group picture, which I have no idea where that went – I would have thought you’d get one since they have your Sea Pass from when you bought the t-shirt – but it wasn’t with our pictures. Oh well! But we were told that just in that walk that morning they raised over $2000!

DSC_0936.JPG

It was an incredibly windy morning out on the deck. I planned to go sit out with Keith but it was too much like being in a wind tunnel. He stuck it out though. He was determined to make use of this day of relaxation!

DSC_0960.JPG

Meanwhile I took Alex to the teen speed rock walk climb. He didn’t have high hopes. He figured there were much faster teens. The older guys had to be faster than he was. They got everyone signed in and each teen was timed individually with stop watches. There were boys and girls. Turns out – Alex came in FIRST place for the boys! He was shocked. So were some of the older teens who thoroughly expected to win! There were about 10 boys in all. However, overall the fastest speed was by a girl. I had to smile. It was a lot of fun to watch and Alex got a medal.

DSC_0941.JPG

DSC_0940.JPG

DSC_0942.JPG

Meanwhile Megan finally had the chance to ice skate. We had time and it was finally free skating! My parents took her down to get the skates and Alex and I met them down there. She was doing great!

DSC_0945.JPG

DSC_0946.JPG

Ice skating can be challenging enough, but on a moving ship? People were going down fast. Helmets are mandatory here. One woman fell and hit her head hard – she had to be carried off the ice. I had some fears, as a mom, watching Megan skate, but she seemed to be skating pretty cautiously and she was doing well. I can see though how someone could take a nasty fall. I’d hate for her to get hurt, let alone with 2 weeks of vacation still to go!

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0952.JPG

I have to say I was relieved when she had her fill of skating for the day!

DSC_0954.JPG

My dad tried to skate and it turns out skating is not like riding a bike after all…he used to skate a lot as a kid and even as a younger adult. But he just couldn’t do it at all now. And as I said about Megan, we were ALL relieved when he came off the ice. We certainly didn’t need him getting hurt at this point in the trip! I think a fall for a 68 year old man would be much worse than an 11 year old girl! Whew~!

After lunch the wind calmed down a bit and I was able to sit out and read a bit. When it got to be too much, Keith and I went to the Solarium and enjoyed the hot tub. This was definitely a perfect day. Time with the kids, time in the sun. Time with Keith. Being on the open sea and watching the scenery just go by. We went through the Straight of Messina. Passed Mt Etna again. And this time saw the beautiful Stromboli Volcano.

DSC_0938.JPG

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

However, this cruise was coming to an end, so I knew I had to go back to our cabin and pack. We were doing self debark or is it disembarkation? I’m never sure. So I didn’t have to get our luggage out that night. But I wanted to be done before dinner. Off I went to tackle that mess.

We enjoyed our last night in the Main Dining Room, and as I mentioned before, even with My Time Dining, we had the same waitstaff every night and the same table. They were fantastic and got to know us and our likes well. Every night I had an iced tea brought to me without asking. Alex had his 2 steaks brought to him. They knew our names. The service was fabulous.

DSC_0971.JPG

After dinner, we went to the arcade a bit as a family. That was fun!

DSC_0973.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

And then we had our usual routines – Alex to the teen club for their final night together. Keith back to the cabin to watch the same old thing on the tv, and my parents, Megan and I went to see the final show. It was pretty good. A physical comedy type show and then the staff cheers.

After the show Megan and I went to the Circus Parade. It was definitely a silly type thing that you couldn’t help but smile while watching. It was a fun atmosphere. Somehow in the crowd we met up with Alex and walked back to the cabins together.

DSC_0994.JPG

DSC_0996.JPG

DSC_0998.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

It was our last night and tomorrow we’d be the beginning of a whole different adventure…our land journey. We’re taking a train to Venice!

Nooooo... Don't want the NOS part to end. :(

I do have a question for you. DH and I love taking pictures and will be bringing 2 cameras. A DSLR and a compact. You took so many awesome pictures. Did you bring a laptop to download your images, or did you just use large media cards?

We have 2 32gb cards, but worries me that something can go wrong and I will lose everything. We are not planning on taking a laptop, just our iPad.

Nooooo... Don't want the NOS part to end. :(

I do have a question for you. DH and I love taking pictures and will be bringing 2 cameras. A DSLR and a compact. You took so many awesome pictures. Did you bring a laptop to download your images, or did you just use large media cards?

We have 2 32gb cards, but worries me that something can go wrong and I will lose everything. We are not planning on taking a laptop, just our iPad.

At this point in the trip I didn't want the NOS part to end either! But hopefully you'll enjoy reading about the rest of our adventures almost as much as we enjoyed living them! :D

As far as the camera question, I was really concerned about backing up the images too. In past trips, even though they were just as important, I'd never really given it much thought. Maybe this trip involved so much more planning that even backing up the pictures seemed to be a priority. So, yes, I backed up to my iPad every night. Apple sells a little transfer adapter that you can put the SD card directly into, or you can plug your camera into and the pictures transfer right onto the iPad. I set up a few different folders to keep them organized. At this point I'll probably delete them off the iPad now that I've transferred them all to the computer, they're taking up a ton of space and I have the original iPad with not so much room on it!

I had several SD cards for the trip in case I ran out of room or in case something happened to one of them, but all of my pictures ended up fitting on one and I never used any of the other ones I brought. I think it was a 32gb card. I took close to 3000 pictures! I was shocked that they all fit!

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation and memories with all of us. Your pictures are gorgeous and your stories are entertaining. Still reading along & looking forward to more!

Janet

Thank you! I'm really enjoying reliving our vacation through this report. The feedback helps keep me motivated!

I'm working on the pictures from Venice now! Hope to have our day posted today!