Promenade stateroom

Please can anyone that has stayed in a promenade stateroom give me a review of it? Was it noisy? Did you enjoy it? We are looking at this on Independence of the Seas for a short cruise. We have previously stayed in a balcony with Royal Caribbean but as the destination is not something we necessarily need to look at from a balcony, we are considering this. I get claustrophobic quite easily so are considering this as opposed to an inside with no window. The cost is certainly making it look more appealing :) All reviews appreciated.

I've stayed twice in PR rooms, once on Adventure and once on Navigator. I really enjoyed the feature of being able to overlook the promenade events from a prime location. There was very little noise, mostly during parades and occasionally music in the evenings; evening events didn't affect me at all and they seemed to tail off by 11 any way. The main thing to remember is that you need to close your curtains when the light is on in your room as your neighbours across the way will be able to see right in! I would definitely sail in one again.

Loved mine. I stayed in one on the Explorer and agree with everything that Norbetsniece has said. Will defiantly stay in one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stay in one last summer on Explorer and we loved it. Didn't have any issue with noise (took ear plugs just in case) but never needed to use them. We were on the 7th floor. You can sit and look out the window which my daughter really liked. We will be staying in one again on our cruise in 4 days!!

Done a lot of cruises in a promenade and like them a lot. The only ones we would avoid are the ones on deck 6 directly above the pub or the ones on deck 8 directly under, or near, the hot tubs. Both of these locations can be more noisy than others.

The cabins do have thick net curtains which it is hard to see through into the cabin opposite and the stateroom attendant always closes the curtains at night.

Pete & Wifey

We stayed in PR cabins twice, on Explorer and Liberty, and liked them a lot. Agree with all the other positive comments. We chose our locations to be more mid-ship, and overlooking Guest Services--a very quiet area.

We have one on deck 7 Navigator of the Seas in January. We must have been near a speaker or something, but we spent one night til well after 11:00 p.m. listening to a loud thump of the music on 70's night. The party was on the promenade below, but since we are not late night party people we were trying to get some rest before an early day of excursions the next morning. We won't do one again, would rather be in an interior room than to have the noise. I enjoyed the view and window seat, but my husband hated other people being able to see in and wanted the curtains closed most of the time.

Just a different opinion. It didn't ruin our cruise, but lesson learned.

we have also had this type of cabin several times and really like them. like others have said the price is often very good.

there is a website that lets you drag the decks over each other to see what your cabin would be over on the promenade, which can be helpful.

we prefer deck 7 the best.

Had one on Deck 7 on Liberty twice. One was connecting and we could hear our neighbors having a conversation. :mad:

The other one was great. Yes, you can hear music from the promenade but not enough to bother me.

As someone who has only cruised in balconies, I can emphatically say that we would never do it again. We had airfare and just wanted a cheap fare and grabbed a promenade room on Adventure.

While its nice to have a window, we never used it.

Our cons -

Loud and noisy from the promenade until late hours. I believe we were deck 7 and still had a lot of noise. Especially on parade/party nights.

On the side windows we could never get this one annoying stream of light to go away....the thing with the promenade is that it is always lit up...so there is always light. Whereas on a balcony it does get dark outside.

Not knowing what is going on outside (just a general con of any inside room)

If it were me and I couldn't afford a balcony, I would either try for an ocean view or just a plain inside.

I stayed in a Promenade Room on Deck 7 on Freedom (7309) to be exact. The room was pretty quiet, and got nice and dark with the shades closed! We could hear some music during the parade, but it really wasn't loud at all. I think we fell asleep to it. It's nice to be able to watch from your window. It's also great for people watching. Just remember to close the curtains when you change! I would definitely book this room again. It was nice to have something to look out at when you are in the room.

My parents stayed in 7283 on FOS. They loved it! It was a bit noisy during the parades, but the noise died down by 11 p.m. Stay away from connecting cabins and the bars, and you should be fine. There is more info and limited reviews on the thread listed below... Just click on it. It mainly shows the location of all the PR cabins so that you can see what will be under you. It may be helpful for booking the location you prefer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860809

PS: These are from FOS, but the promenade is very similar on IOS...

Edited by APDMOM
typo

Please can anyone that has stayed in a promenade stateroom give me a review of it? Was it noisy? Did you enjoy it? We are looking at this on Independence of the Seas for a short cruise. We have previously stayed in a balcony with Royal Caribbean but as the destination is not something we necessarily need to look at from a balcony, we are considering this. I get claustrophobic quite easily so are considering this as opposed to an inside with no window. The cost is certainly making it look more appealing :) All reviews appreciated.

The following is a cut and paste is from one of my previouse postings-(with a slight update)

"As you can tell from our signature, we have been on the explorer many times.

We have had a promenade on deck 6 mid ship (on all but the last cruise) for the following reasons

Equal distance to fore and aft elevators ( the walk does not bother us, work off some of the over eating).

Great for watching people and parades, Never had a noise problem.

1 flight down to Promenade for sales, shops or cafe for a quick cup of coffee.

The following is information gathered from others and personal observations-

Do NOT book over pub rooms ?575, ?577. ?579 some can hears music from the pub into the night.

Do NOT book over the Champaign Bar or Customer services , when we sailed last year, there was

a LOUD latin band playing on DECK 4 Aquarium loung and the music traveled up the open stairwells

late into the night. someone in our Meet and mingle group said it was terrible, trouble getting to sleep.

The higher up you are the closer to the window you have to get to see the promenade (Sharper angle to look down).

If you book toward the front it will be a long walk every time to the MDR and Windjammer.

Deck 6 is great as it is a few 1-3 deck down to the MDR, no need to wait for an elevator.

Our first cabin was 6283 and we have always booked it or directly across it (see pub warning above)

past and future sailings. We like this location because it is center (fore-aft) center (top to bottom)

where supposedly you have the least amount of rocking and rolling.

Hopefully this will help you choose."

Look over the deck plans for the ship you are sailing on and modify the room choice accordingly

The only reason that we were not in a Promanade room the last is-

They had a major price drop after the final payment and we opted to try a LARGE oceanview

Deck 7for no aditional money-We originally booked a Promenade Deck 6 Center.

We seldom looked out to the ocean an came to the conclusion that we prefer the Promenade cabin.

We spend very little time in the cabin, always up and about-so much to see, do and enjoy.

The one item I left off was "MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE DRAPES WHEN UNDRESSING OTHERWISE

YOUR NIEGHBORS ACROSS WILL BE TREATED TO A SHOW."

Edited by Never2Late2Cruise

I am booked in 8275 on Explorer. After reading this thread, I looked more carefully at the deck plans and discovered we are right across from the Pub.

We usually are out and about until after midnight. Will we have a problem with noise?

I had thought that we were at the other end of the promenade. I can be directionally challenged, especially on a cruise ship.:o

We were across from the pub once and it didn't really bother us. It was louder at times because of people carrying on but not a big deal. I am a light sleeper and normally manage to drift off without a problem in a PR. We've cruised 5 times and have had a PR 3 times. Have 2 connecting rooms booked for August. It is our preferred money saving cabin. We like deck 8 because the windows tilt down a little.

Thank you so much for all of your replies, it is very helpful :)

we have also had this type of cabin several times and really like them. like others have said the price is often very good.

there is a website that lets you drag the decks over each other to see what your cabin would be over on the promenade, which can be helpful.

we prefer deck 7 the best.

Do you know what the website is? :)