stella maris

hi everyone:

we cruised on the stella maris back in 1989 from nice to venice, what a wonderful little greek ship, the crew did all the waitstaff and the shows, it was a great cruise. anyone know what happened to her?

dave and gerry

Sun Line merged with Epirotiki to found Royal Olympic (now defunct) in 1995. They sold her in 1999 to Viking River Cruises; she was their first oceangoing ship. They renamed her VIKING BORDEAUX and then BORDEAUX but only used her until 2001 when she was laid-up in the Netherlands. To my knowledge, she remains there today, though there had ben rumblings that she had been sold.

A good page with information and photos on this lovely little ship can be seen here.

As the slightly larger STELLA OCEANIS and the legendary STELLA SOLARIS were scrapped last year, I believe the former STELLA MARIS is the last remaining former Sun Line ship.

hi doug:

thanks so much for the link, it sure was good to see how well taken care of she is. just looked through all my daily "patters", have a few postcards also, and also saved the brochure lol. i haven't been on too many cruises, but this is one of our favorites. i will keep checking, maybe someday we can sail her again.

again, thanks so much for answering.

gerry

Hi Doug!

I noticed in Equasis that she was renamed MADAGASCAR in April '05 and is owned by the Ukrainian company Omiks. Don't know however what's happening with her...

Hi Aleksi! Been way too long since I've heard from you :) .

I have it in the back of my mind that she has been sold to some African outfit... And I guess in that context, the name MADAGASCAR fits.

I know I read something about her recently, but do not remember what - I will now try to dig it up and see what I can find.

Archived