Why is picking a cruise so hard!!!

LynnTH

So, trying to figure out cruise for next June 2014. Have to wait for kids to be out of school. It would be DH, Me, DS15 and DD13 (at time of sailing) and friends of ours with a 13 year old Daughter and 10 year old son.

We have sailed on the Carnival Freedom about 5 years ago and Dream about 3 years ago. Last year we did RCCL Allure of the Seas. While we really liked that cruise - it is limited on ports and we all agreed that we liked the Carnival Cruises better as they were smaller and easier to get around. (I used to think bigger was better but not always).

So, anyway. We want a cruise that does more than the usual Eastern/Western Route. We like the Southern routes but some of them can be kind of spendy and we have free airfare on Southwest and is easier to fly out of Florida rather than San Juan.

Ok - so these are some that we are considering. Seems the least expensive cruises are during the 1st week or so in June. (DS gets out of school on May 30th so can leave the 31st or after.

All cruises I priced for our family of 4 in an inside cabin on the Lido deck. (Love the convenience of that).

Any input would be great to help make our decision.

1. Sunshine - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya - $3366

(Love that this has all the 2.0 upgrades)

2. Conquest - same itinerary as above - $2638

3. Liberty - same itineraty as above - $3119

4. Glory - same as above - $3157

5. Liberty - Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk - (8 Day cruise) - $3659

6. Liberty - Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Tortola, St Maarten (8 day) -$3361

7. Freedom - Grand Turk, Dominican, Curacao, Aruba (8 Day) - $3753

(Love this itinerary but is more money and not sure if will have 2.0 upgrades by then).

There is also a Carnival Breeze one same as Freedom but is $3950. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible but still want a good ship with lots to do for the kids too - kind of leaning towards the Sunshine but still very undecided at this point.... Help!!

I think you mean June 2014....it is 2013 now right?

I am looking at the same cruises- ( I will be looking for 2015) and the big difference with the Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk cruise is the amount of sea days( 4). If your kids are Camp Carnival kids, they will be busy and entertained, and you as parents can get some much needed R and R. If they aren't, then you are going to be very very busy. The 4 ports all provide some great beaches, and only 3 days at sea.

(Love this itinerary but is more money and not sure if will have 2.0 upgrades by then).

All of those ships are great.

If western is OK with you, do the Conquest -- cheapest alternative

I personally like the eastern itineraries so much more -- Liberty #6 is cheapest.

It's a personal thing, but I don't care as much if the ship has 2.0 or not

We have been to St. Thomas, St. Maarten a bunch of times so those ports are not as exiting to us but they are nice. Also, have been to Cozumel a few times but lots to do there. Did Aruba and Curaco about 8 years ago - very beautiful, didn't have kids with then. Have not been to the other ports listed and other couple has only been to Cayman Islands - their only cruise was to Canada.

Kids don't do much in the way of Camp Carnival anymore. They are happy by the pool, arcade, basketball, mini -golf etc. That's why I was leaning more towards Sunshine as it has the Sportsquare - just not sure it is worth the extra money basically for that? I know I do want the 2.0 upgrades as those look great. Wish I could find out for sure when Freedom would be getting this done?? Seem to find a lot of conflicting answers.

Have you considered an Alaska cruise instead?

I haven't. I am such a freeze baby as it is and really think of cruises as Caribbean and hot. I know the Alaska cruises are beautiful though.

So, trying to figure out cruise for next June 2014. Have to wait for kids to be out of school. It would be DH, Me, DS15 and DD13 (at time of sailing) and friends of ours with a 13 year old Daughter and 10 year old son.

We have sailed on the Carnival Freedom about 5 years ago and Dream about 3 years ago. Last year we did RCCL Allure of the Seas. While we really liked that cruise - it is limited on ports and we all agreed that we liked the Carnival Cruises better as they were smaller and easier to get around. (I used to think bigger was better but not always).

So, anyway. We want a cruise that does more than the usual Eastern/Western Route. We like the Southern routes but some of them can be kind of spendy and we have free airfare on Southwest and is easier to fly out of Florida rather than San Juan.

Ok - so these are some that we are considering. Seems the least expensive cruises are during the 1st week or so in June. (DS gets out of school on May 30th so can leave the 31st or after.

All cruises I priced for our family of 4 in an inside cabin on the Lido deck. (Love the convenience of that).

There is also a Carnival Breeze one same as Freedom but is $3950. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible but still want a good ship with lots to do for the kids too - kind of leaning towards the Sunshine but still very undecided at this point.... Help!!

We loved the Liberty so I would pick that ship. Out of the two Liberty choices I would pick #6. The Liberty is a great ship and we just loved the cruise director. He was the most personable we have ever had in 7 cruises.

We love the exotic western ports Roatan is awesome.#2,3,and 4 are basically the same ship.I see you like Lido cabins ,if you book Conquest class ships take a look at 9291 or 9292 for inside cabins or 9292 or 9293 if you may want a balcony cabin.Crazy awesome location :)

Just wanted to point out that RCCL does have ships smaller than the Oasis/Allure.

I know. But it seems they don't have a lot of choices for the Caribbean in summer. And there prices are a lot higher. They were not discounting the 3rd and 4th person very much. Last march on the Allure of the Seas all 4 of us cruised for $3200. They want way more for the older and smaller ships during the summer.

I haven't. I am such a freeze baby as it is and really think of cruises as Caribbean and hot. I know the Alaska cruises are beautiful though.

I HATE the cold...hence the reason I live in FL ;) but we went to Alaska in 2007 and while cool it was not really cold (except the day at Hubbard Glacier). It was the best vacation I've ever taken. I love cruising and it was amazing to just be able to sit and watch all the scenery go by.

Just thought I'd throw it out to a fellow cold-resistant person :p

Conquest is a great choice. Price is the best, and it also has the 2.0 upgrades. We sailed Conquest in March and had a great time. We have also sailed Liberty and Freedom, you have no bad choices here! Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Very surprised that no one recommended the Sunshine. Is there a reason for this? Have seen some reports of crowding issues but that seems to come up on all ships...

So, now I am confusing myself more. Just looked at the Valor. That one leaves out of San Juan and goes to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten. I was hesitent on this because of airfare. Can't see what pricing would be for next June on Southwest yet but if it is like the other months then it is not much more than flying to Florida. (I looked up this July/August flights and they are a bit more but I figured it was because we are already in the middle of summer and prices go up closer to departure). Anyway - this cruise was $2853 for 4 of us. Just not sure when Valor will get the 2.0 upgrades (just shows 2014) and not sure sure we want such a port intensive cruise - do like to have a few sea days.

Also, am I correct that the layout of the Freedom, Conquest, Liberty, Glory and Valor are all the same? I liked the pool layout of the Freedom better than the dream and I like the Aft pool in back. Just wondering if they are all like that?

Archived