Budget Cozumel!!

JennyB20

Me and my husband are taking our 2 year old and 5 year old sons on a cruise to Cozumel July 18! We are on a budget since we planned this just last week But I am a penny pincher anyway (I'm reminded on a regular basis by my girlfriends:/) I'm just wanting some ideas on how to spend little but still have a great time. I'm not a big souvenir shopper they're just a waste of money to me except for something for the kids.

Assuming your children like to play in the sand, spend the day at a beautiful beach.

You will only need transportation cost, snack or lunch, cold drinks and maybe chair umbrella rental. For four people, that should not run that much money.

Welcome to cruise critic and to cruising.

You do not need to spend much additional money on the ship. The kids camps are free; babysitting is extra. I don't know if you are required to get soda cards for the kids. If you do not, then save some money there. You probably can skip it for you and your husband. Water (not bottled), iced tea, lemonade, coffee are all free. Specialty coffees, bottled water, sodas, and some juices are extra as are all alcoholic drinks. If you are not big soda drinkers, then buy by the glass or can.

If tips are not pre-paid, then they will show up on your bill at the end of the cruise.

Excursions - range in price but can be expensive. check your options for each port and decide what you really want to do. Also, find your cruise in the roll calls and meet your fellow cruisers. Sometimes someone on your cruise has arranged a private excursion that is less expensive than the one the cruise ship has arranged.

Stay out of the boutiques on the ship unless you really do need something. And - stay away from the art auctions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, Jenny! From another Mississippian even!

Cozumel will be a bit crowded to haul the little ones around in the downtown area and, my opinion, they would not really enjoy it that much anyway. Right at the end of the pier where the ship docks, there is a shopping area with lots to see and not nearly as crowded as it is in town. A couple of the establishments have patio areas where the kids could play and you and hubby could have refreshments. The beach area right around the pier is not so good, but a cab can take you to other beaches where you can enjoy the day. Cap cost is about $10 to most beaches in or near Cozumel and most will arrange to come back and pick you up at a certain hour. Just make the arrangements with the concierge booth just outside the port security area.

Hope you have a great cruise and that the weather is beautiful!!

Me and my husband are taking our 2 year old and 5 year old sons on a cruise to Cozumel July 18! We are on a budget since we planned this just last week But I am a penny pincher anyway (I'm reminded on a regular basis by my girlfriends:/) I'm just wanting some ideas on how to spend little but still have a great time. I'm not a big souvenir shopper they're just a waste of money to me except for something for the kids.

Cozumel is a great port for what you want to do.

I recommend you go to the Coz Port of Call board, look for beaches that would be a good fit for your family.

When you get to the port, just grab a cab and go. There will be plenty there when you want to return.

Ships require you must be aboard thirty minutes prior to scheduled sail away but few experienced cruisers cut it that close. You can get held up for any number of reasons and as a new cruiser, plan to be back at the ship an hour prior to sailing to be on the safe side. If you are on your own off the ship and do not reboard on time, the ship will sailaway without you. We have definitely seen people left behind.

Chankanaub is a national park in Cozumel and a great place for kids. They have the beach but also have a cove for younger kids to play in the water. They have dolphins you can watch, a dolphin encounter which is NOT worth the $$$ plus a swim with the dolphins which is fun to watch. There is the cab fare there and back and they charge to get in. Google the park for more info on it and the cost now.

Here is a thread which should have all the tips you might want on how to cruise on a budget.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=785229

As far as Cozumel is concerned, I would have a big breakfast and get out to the beach in the morning. Your children will be tired and hungry by early afternoon. Don't push it, head back to the ship for a late lunch and a nap. There will be no worries with the biggest selling tactic for taking excursions - missing the ship.

Also check out the forum on Cozumel http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210 for things to do.

Of more interest is the family cruising forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It is very possible to enjoy a cruise and spend very little money by taking advantage of all the food, entertainment and facilities you have paid for with your cruise fare. Please remember that unless you are on a cruise line that includes tips, you need to budget about $11 a day per person for tips and that includes the children.

Archived