Breakaway fare went lower NCL only offered 30% reduction

klitch

BTW, In the past several years I have Emailed KS three times. He personally replied twice, (or someone on his behalf using his account) and on the third matter I was contacted by a subordinate. I think KS is one of the most accessible and hands-on CEOs out there.

This is good to hear, and KS seems to be a great CEO, but it is puzzling that at least 3 posters on this string in addition to the OP have stated that they emailed KS and never received a response. One who did, stated that it was 2 months before he heard anything. It would be unreasonable to expect a personal response from KS for all the emails that come in, but someone, either in his office or in the PR Dept, should be responding back, and in a timely fashion. Even the poster who sent an email merely stating how much they enjoyed their cruise deserves a "Thank You and we're glad you enjoyed your cruise" response, IMO. It's just not good customer service.

I don't believe that your advice was ignored so much as it was bypassed since it won't happen.

Let me explain...

NCL's policy when final payment has passed is to upgrade the guest. That way the guest feels that they got something better (higher category cabin) and NCL loses no $$ in the process. Sometimes, there are no cabins available that the guest could be upgraded to. (For example...how do you upgrade the guest in the Garden Villa?). When that occurs, NCL will then offer the guest an OBC.

The fact that the front line customer service rep responded to the OP's request with an offer of an OBC indicates that there were no suitable cabins available for an upgrade...not surprising considering that the OP was already in a suite AND it was a spa suite. They may not have wanted an upgrade as a different cabin category would have cost them their spa priviledges.

You may be right, but I was going by the OP's statement that he asked about upgrading to the penthouse balcony and was told no. That cabin is still available and for less than the OP paid. So if the OP wants it, he should be able to get it.

PCCs, like other sales people, have quotas to meet. Those with few bookings won't be a PCC for long.

Not surprised that the PCC was nice and gave you lots of information. That is their job...and they do it even when it means losing the booking. I wonder if your TA would be as nice to you if you called and asked about moving your booking to the PCC?

You are right...NCL is not losing the booking. However, they do have to pay the TA a commission (unlike the PCC) so when it is all said and done NCL will lose out on the transfer. So it isn't painting a fair picture to say that NCL wouldn't mind.

I'm not knocking the choice of a TA over a PCC or of a PCC over a TA. Everyone need to book in a way that meets their needs. It is JMHO, but I don't think its very fair to take up a sales person's time and efforts, only to reward another party with my final business. I'd feel to bad to ever waste that person's time again.

We're going off track here, but I love a good debate:).

I would think any PCC who sits by the phone 40 hours a week would not have much trouble making a booking quota. As far as losing credit for the booking, I got the impression he would lose nothing and probably only a very small percentage of cruisers ever transfer a booking in any case. And you are right, the TA might not be nearly as responsive to the idea of transferring to NCL, but I have never had a need to do that.

And yes, NCL will pay a commission they otherwise would not have, but as a consumer, I try to get the best deal I can, and no, I do not feel guilty about it. Nor do I feel guilty if I go to store A and the sales guy spends a good deal of time going over the features of the latest TV with me and then I go down the street and buy the same TV at store B because it is $300 cheaper. Cruising is a business like any other, and NCL still has my business after all is said and done. The fact that I can cruise with a lower fare and extra OBC just helps me to be able to cruise more often with NCL and spend even more of my money.

This is good to hear, and KS seems to be a great CEO, but it is puzzling that at least 3 posters on this string in addition to the OP have stated that they emailed KS and never received a response. One who did, stated that it was 2 months before he heard anything. It would be unreasonable to expect a personal response from KS for all the emails that come in, but someone, either in his office or in the PR Dept, should be responding back, and in a timely fashion. Even the poster who sent an email merely stating how much they enjoyed their cruise deserves a "Thank You and we're glad you enjoyed your cruise" response, IMO. It's just not good customer service.

I have sent 2 emails to Kevin Sheehan telling him of the great cruises I have Taken.Both time I received a response back from him within an hour. And it did say sent from his blackberry.

You may be right, but I was going by the OP's statement that he asked about upgrading to the penthouse balcony and was told no. That cabin is still available and for less than the OP paid. So if the OP wants it, he should be able to get it.

I get the feeling that you might be reading a different thread. The OP never mentioned asking for a Penthouse Balcony. In fact, they stated in their first post that they called NCL to get a price reduction. The went further to send the email...again asking for just a price adjustment.

Any you are right...if the OP wants an available cabin they should be able to get it. As long as they do so within the rules that are agreed upon by both parties. The same rules that prevent NCL from calling you up and saying "Sorry, the price of your cabin just went up so now we have to charge you more".

FINAL PAYMENT is the date that you agree to lock in your purchase. Prior to that you can change cabins, and get all the price adjustments you want.

No, I'm referring to this thread and this OP. In post 8, it was suggested that he upgrade to the penthouse balcony. In post 17, OP says he was told he wasn't allowed to upgrade, suggesting that he would have liked to but was not able to.

I know what FINAL PAYMENT is, thanks. I also know that I've read over and over on this board that NCL permits upgrades at anytime, including after FINAL PAYMENT, based on the price at the price of the upgraded cabin at that time, although if it happens to be less than paid, you will not get refunded the difference or OBC.

[quote name='punkincc']This is good to hear, and KS seems to be a great CEO, but it is puzzling that at least 3 posters on this string in addition to the OP have stated that they emailed KS and never received a response. One who did, stated that it was 2 months before he heard anything. It would be unreasonable to expect a personal response from KS for all the emails that come in, but someone, either in his office or in the PR Dept, should be responding back, and in a timely fashion. Even the poster who sent an email merely stating how much they enjoyed their cruise deserves a "Thank You and we're glad you enjoyed your cruise" response, IMO. It's just not good customer service.[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling 2 of the 3 are the same person.

[quote name='klitch']Unfortunately they told me that they can't do upgrades.

That's a pretty bad response time don't you think? I mean, I'm not expecting really anything at this point, but a few months seems really poor to me.[/QUOTE]

My PC has told me, with each cruise, that after the final payment is made any adjustment would be OBC equal to 30% of the difference of the price. I wait until almost the last day to send in my final payment. Once they did upgrade me from a balcony to a mini-suite balcony. Being a solo cruise it wasn't that big of a deal to me, but it was nice nonetheless.

[quote name='oceanseagle12']No, I'm referring to this thread and this OP. In post 8, it was suggested that he upgrade to the penthouse balcony. In post 17, OP says he was told he wasn't allowed to upgrade, suggesting that he would have liked to but was not able to.

I know what FINAL PAYMENT is, thanks. I also know that I've read over and over on this board that NCL permits upgrades at anytime, including after FINAL PAYMENT, based on the price at the price of the upgraded cabin at that time, although if it happens to be less than paid, you will not get refunded the difference or OBC.[/QUOTE]

First you said that the OP asked for a Penthouse Balcony. Now your saying that an upgrade to a penthouse balcony was suggested to the OP. Which is it?

Don't tell me "You may be right, but I was going by the OP's statement that he asked about upgrading to the penthouse balcony and was told no." when, in fact, the OP never said he asked about upgrading to a penthouse balcony. Go back...read the first post. He says "price adjustment"...twice.

1) a poster on here suggested he try to get the penthouse
2) the op said he already tried the upgrade route

I didn't say it was in his very first post and even told you exactly what posts I was referring to. I'm not sure why you want to argue the point. :rolleyes:

--------

It would be too hard for me to explain but email is not the failsafe wonderful communication device people think it is.

Actually the post office has a better success rate.

I have included a link to an interesting article concerning commercial emails but the premise is the same.

Some emails get misdirected, some just plain disappear and some show up days or weeks later, after being caught in a loop on some server. I know because I have sent myself emails from work to home and had them show up much, much later or not at all.

Just something to consider, besides all the other items in this discussion.

[url]http://www.returnpath.com/wp-content/uploads/Return-Path-Email-Deliverability-Research-1H_20111.pdf[/url]

------

In a democratic society we have the right to free speech and many here have certainly done that. Most with respect for all and a handful not so much. In case you have not noticed the original poster stopped participating a long time of go. You have lost him! I vote to shut down this discussion because at this point it is just annoying. No good can come from any further debate and long ago this thread got away from us.

To the poster, I am sorry you had to endure this. Regardless of how any individual feels about the issue, you are owed respectful replies.

I hope you are not completely turned off NCL and go on your cruise with a fully open mind. I promise you NCL cruisers are a fun bunch and NCL offers a consistent quality product. Remember you are going on vacation and you have the control over your level of enjoyment. Choose to have a great vacation and you will!

I encourage you all, like I am about to do, to drop of this thread!

Archived