Costa Diadema - inaugural season - Costa blocking solo bookings

sjpo

I generally book a cruise in November in the Med. It is a low season, ships are not too full, and sometimes fares for solos are excellent. Got hold of the new Costa Catalog for 2014/2015 and noticed that Costa Diadema inaugural cruise would be an itinerary which I really like (from Venice to Savona, via Bari, Corfu, Malta and Naples). Immediately contacted my travel agent and the solo fare of 297 Euros came up. When I tried to book it was already almost 400 Euros. Was on a business trip so decided to wait till I was back home as I was sure something was not right. Now my trusted travel agent tells me there is only internal Samsara cabins available at almost 900 Euros. Checked the Costa site and lo and behold, that is what shows when I put a inquiry for a solo pax and all else 'fully booked'. However, when I change the query for 2 pax, all cabins categories are available. I find that this is wrong. Charge a supplement is one thing but denying booking is another. So if Costa does not want my money, I will wait for MSC to be more accommodating (which generally makes the point to Costa best than anything else)

Costa does this quite often. I cost out the trip at 200% single supplement, it often comes out better value for money than alternatives. My travel agent puts down himself as the second person, if it turns out I can't find someone else and due to business reasons he's unable to travel, well, the second berth stays empty.

I'm going give MSC a try in January, but I've been told the dancing environment is not as good as Costa, which is a major consideration for me.

Thanks, both. Well, By coincidence that is what my TA is suggesting (as the prices for solos on this cruise started at 297 Euros, so a double is quite a good price too).

It happens that I often find good offers for singles on both Costa and MSC. I also cruise with friends and family, but I am quite used to pay around 500 Euros for a week's cruise when going solo, therefore I am still quite annoyed at Costa tactics.

Bob, MSC does not seem to carry many pax which care for dancing but the do have areas reserved for such, etc. Maybe their decoration or deck height is not very inducing.

If you want to see people unhappy over cruise line pricing games, check out the Advantage/Getaway fare fiasco over on P&O and Cunard. Makes Costa look pretty good.

I've found 500 euros single is quite possible on a Caribbean sell-off, but I've never found that price for an advance booking with a choice of dates and ships.

• 2 weeks later...

The Costa Diadema had starting fares of 297 Euros for single cabin, if my memory serves me well. It is for November 2014 and of course there is always the risk of delays on the ship's delivery, etc but I felt it was an irresistable offer. As it happens I found a friend to share a cabin with for 220 Euros each. It is the same itinerary we did on the Costa Fortuna in 2010, Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived