Talk me into (or out of) MSC w/kids

YellowDog

I posted the same thing on the MSC Board, but wanted a family perspective too:

Ok, my wife and I have cruised a bit so we know what we are doing to a point. However in March we are looking to cruise with our (then 3 year old) twins for the first time. Of course we are looking at Disney and historically we really like Princess. BUT with the kids sail free on the Divina for that sailing we are looking at a $1,500 difference. I have read lot on MSC and the more I read the more confused I get. I know its a European line that is trying to make an impact in NA...so...talk me into it (or out of it):)

Just realize it is a different culture on the ship and more subdued. No crazy sail-away type parties on deck the last I remember, but I last sailed them pre-baby and things may have changed in the last few years. Overall I remember it being a great cruise and a different feel and I appreciated how beautiful the ship was. Im sailing them again in december with my daughter who will be 17 months.

Just realize it is a different culture on the ship and more subdued. No crazy sail-away type parties on deck the last I remember, but I last sailed them pre-baby and things may have changed in the last few years. Overall I remember it being a great cruise and a different feel and I appreciated how beautiful the ship was. Im sailing them again in december with my daughter who will be 17 months.

Thanks...I really hope you have a great time in Dec. and post a great review afterward. I think a lot of the negative reviews are coming from American cruisers who for some reason cruise Europe on a European line and wonder why its not American :). The Divina that you will be on is the one Im looking into. The kids sail free thing will save me over 1,000 dollars that week over NCL or Carnival for 7 days...so Im taking a real look at MSC

We looked at that same cruise! Only decided against it due to scheduling.

There is a difference between European and American cruises.

Our first cruise was European which was when we fell in love with cruising. Honestly we were taken aback when we then tried an American cruise and vowed to never do one again. However accepting differences in atmosphere, presentation and service we now have taken several American cruises and like them just fine. We do plan to return to European cruising soon though.

If you are a huge partier who needs to be entertained every second of the day, and like to gobble down junk food until your belt breaks, then you will be disappointed. If not, then you will have a wonderful time.

My daughter didn't like the kid's club. Most of the kids did not speak English so there was a communication barrier. That is a problem you shouldn't have. However, I did think their kids club was "activity-lite" that might apply to their other ships. There is a link to my MSC Splendida review in my siggy. I wrote about the kid's club when my memory was a little fresher. :) It might be a different experience on the US ship. I would sail them again. The kids sail free is an excellent deal. Just go expecting that it will be a slightly different experience and be willing to embrace the differences.

Archived