Itinerary Question

PhotoGal07

I'm looking into taking my second cruise (1st was with RCL Enchantment) and I'm currently debating between two different cruise itineraries, and I was hoping you folks could help me out. One is to Barbados, Martinique and St. Maarten (through Carnival) and the other is to St. Maarten, St. Thomas with a stop at the Princess's private "island" (obviously through Princess). The problem is the few reviews I've read about Barbados and Martinique tended to use the words "run down" quite a bit, which makes me nervous. Have any of you had any experience with these two itineraries, what would you suggest doing in Barbados and Martinique? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

What I can say is don't hesitate to do your own experience. What people reproach to Martinique is that many martinicans can't speak english. Sometimes, indeed, it's real, but people are always glad to help you if they can, even if YOU don't speak french. So, go and see by yourself. Many cruisers come back to Martinique for a longer stay...

Hi! My husband and I will be on the Carnival Legend at the end of October, and will stop in Martinique. I am not hesitant about getting a cab, and am not afraid of the language barrier! So I need to know, if we just get off the ship and then see who we can find (cabbie) who speaks a little english, and ask him to take us on a tour of the rainforest, and perhaps Mt. Pelee, can you tell me perhaps how much that might be?

Thanks,

Lou

The first itinerary is a little more interesting. STT,STM and private island is available on almost every cruise line. Downtown Barbados is quite nice, not the same for Martinique, love Marigot on STM. If youare a coffee drinker, avoid any Princess ship. Carnival ships are oriented towards a younger croud but I found thier food to be better than Princess. I would look into Celebrity that probably has similar itineraries and costs about the same or a few 100$ more for a bit more luxury in the same type cabin.

Archived