Wine policy on the Golden Princess out of Seattle August 11th?

southjerseygirl

We are a group of 16 people and would like to bring wine onboard. We have heard that Princess has changed their policy. They say the rules vary depending on which port you sail out of. Has anyone recently sailed out of Seattle and had any experience with this? Do they/don't they charge corkage fee - we would like to bring more than the allotted 1 bottle per person.

...we would like to bring more than the allotted 1 bottle per person.

You can absolutely bring more than one bottle per person. (Plan to carry it on. Don't put it in checked bags). Whether you get assessed the corkage fee for your extra bottles or not is impossible to tell as enforcement is sketchy. But one thing is certain. Princess does not confiscate wine that is carried on. If you are a group of wine lovers who like to take your own wine, you wouldn't let the payment or nonpayment of the stated $15 fee per bottle stop you, right? So bring it. Worst case scenario is that you pay the stated fee. Best case scenario is that you get it on for free. Either way, the wine comes with you.

I think the corkage fee is being pretty regularly enforced out of Seattle these days. We will be sailing on the Golden on the 25th and plan to bring a case of wine on board and pay the corkage fees.

According to Princess, it doesn't matter if you check your wine or carry it on. Just do whatever is most convenient for you.

According to Princess, it doesn't matter if you check your wine or carry it on. Just do whatever is most convenient for you.

This is true and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But I cannot see how it could ever be more convenient to check it as you will be called down to claim your wine who knows where and who knows when. Maybe in the middle of lunch. Or Sailaway. And you don't know what conditions your wine has been subjected to like high temperatures in some holding area. If you carry it on, you know exactly where it has been and you pay for it and get it on board at a time most convenient to you. When I am bringing on special bottles, I don't like them leaving my side. But you aren't required to do it that way.

If you do a forum search, you will find threads discussing Seattle and the tougher scrutiny and charging there than at some other embarkation ports. Choice is yours as to whether your extra wine is special enough to add the $15 fee to each bottle.

We were on the Golden last month out of Seattle and took two bottles of wine in our carry-on. After we put our carry-on through the scanner they sent us to a table to record our bottles of wine. Asked for our name and room number and input into their computer. They were enforcing the policy then. :)

Archived