Fire & Ice

Hi all

I'm going on my first ever cruise in two weeks time, the Fire & Ice adventure. Going on my own so a little nervous, just wondering if anyone's ever been on a cruise on their own before? How was it?

Going on the Spirit, what should I expect?

Thanks!

Hi all

I'm going on my first ever cruise in two weeks time, the Fire & Ice adventure. Going on my own so a little nervous, just wondering if anyone's ever been on a cruise on their own before? How was it?

Going on the Spirit, what should I expect?

Thanks!

What a brilliant cruise to start with. I think you will find the Thomson ships really friendly, both passengers and crew. Hope you have a really good experience.

Sweby

Hi OTrail,

We are on the same cruise - really excited.

The Thomson Spirit has a great atmosphere - we did our first cruise last year on the Spirit (Magic of the Fjords). We are back for more.

The staff are brilliant, and there is a good vibe with the other passengers, so I'm certain that you'll have a great time. Even our 12 year-old son is excited.

We tend to dine in the Compass Rose and they normally put us with other people on larger tables, which we enjoy - an opportunity to chat to fellow passengers. I guess this would be good for you? Afterwards, a drink in Horizons bar - they have some good musicians playing there.

The destinations sound incredible. We visited Flam and Bergen on the last trip - they are truly spectacular. Last time in Reykjavik was 1999, so looking forward to going back.

Are you booked on any excursions? Let me know if you want to ask any questions - happy to help.

Above all, enjoy the trip - might bump into you!

Hi OTrail,

Welcome to cc boards :)

We have been on the Spirit and loved it. We did the Adriatic Explorer a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time.

As for going on your own, you need advice from Davecttr for that. I think he must be away at the moment on one of his many cruises :rolleyes::D

I'm pretty sure though, that the Social Hostess arranges for singles to meet for lunch and suchlike.

I have a friend who was widowed 5 years ago and thought she would never go on holiday on her own. She went with a friend on a cruise. Sadly, her friend has since had a stroke and is unable to do any more cruises, so my friend decided to go on her own and is just preparing for her third one. She says she feels very safe and has seen all sorts of places she would never have dreamed of.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time and come back, ready to book another.

We all love cruising on here (as you might have guessed;))

Have a lovely time;) :)

Hi OTrail,

As the others have said, cruising seems to be a very good way for solo passengers to travel - secure and with literally a boat-load of very friendly poeple. You will meet people over breakfast, lunch and dinner - just ask the waiters if you want to be on a bigger table so ther are more people to mix with.

I find too if we go to the show lounge to wait for the shows starting, we almost always get into conversation with the poeple sitting next to us (I once met a fellow CCer on the first night that way - we'd been chatting on here before the cruise and hadn't arranged to meet so that was a lovely coincidence!).

Believe me on a cruise ship - the 'have you had a good day', 'did you do an excursion today' 'what are you planning to do tomorrow' are the standard conversation starters - it's just so easy to find something to talk about. I'm sure you won't have any problems should you wish to find company to chat to.

Linda is right, the social hostess arranges coffee mornings, lunches etc for solo travellers - times and details will be in the Cruise News (daily newspaper with all the next day's activities delivered to your cabin each night). On our last cruise there was a group of solos who arranged to meet and sit together in the shows every night. Of course it's up to the individual how much/what they want to join in with but it's an option.

Going on an organised excursion too is another way to have the company of other travellers around and depending on the trip involved perhaps a reassuring way of visiting some places (distant, not easy to get to independently).

We've just come back from Fire & Ice (not with Thomson) but it's a fantastic itinerary - I would recommend the two 'big' trips in Iceland - The Golden Circle from Reykjavik and Jewels of the North from Akureyri - expensive but absolutely worth it to see the fantastic scenery and unique nature of the landscape her.

Have a wonderful time. If you would like any specific info on destinations or on cruising just ask. It's a friendly forum with lots of info should you be looking for anything particular.

Happy planning and above all I hope you have a wonderful experience. :)

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, really grateful.

Lone Starr - Sounds good, I've had a few relations who've been on cruises and they've said dining times will be a good opportunity to get to know people. Booked all my shore excursions, mainly walking tours until Iceland when it's boat trips to Godafoss and the whale watching.

Singles nights sound really good, I'm pretty positive there'll be other people travelling on their own so hopefully we can all provide each other with some company.

Less than a week to go now, getting pretty excited!

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, really grateful.

Lone Starr - Sounds good, I've had a few relations who've been on cruises and they've said dining times will be a good opportunity to get to know people. Booked all my shore excursions, mainly walking tours until Iceland when it's boat trips to Godafoss and the whale watching.

Singles nights sound really good, I'm pretty positive there'll be other people travelling on their own so hopefully we can all provide each other with some company.

Less than a week to go now, getting pretty excited!

OTrail - wow - you sound like you've got yourself a good selection of excursions. Just hope that the weather is kind to us.

Not long to go now. It seems odd to be packing jumpers and coats when we are in the middle of a heatwave. Can't wait to see the amazing ports of call.

Join us for a drink in Horizons one evening... We are the family with an overexcited 12 year-old son.

Archived