Not Good for the Conquest

Just received email from Carnival:

July 6, 2013

Greetings folks!

We know you are looking forward to your cruise, which is why we would like to provide you with some important information on your embarkation plans for tomorrow.

I'm sorry to say, we've been informed the US Coast Guard has closed the entrance to the Mississippi River due to the sinking of an off shore supply vessel. A survey team from the Coast Guard is currently in the process of assessing the exact location of the wreckage in order to determine if ship traffic may proceed through the river. While we expect this to delay our arrival into New Orleans, the exact time will be known once they complete their assessment. This means check in for tomorrow's cruise will also be delayed until we have finished debarking all guests from the previous voyage.

For your comfort and convenience, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us. We will be back with an update on the situation as soon as more information becomes available.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates. If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

We apologize for this unexpected delay and thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we look forward to welcoming you on board the beautiful Carnival Conquest tomorrow for a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

yikes I wonder what they will do if they can't get to the dock.

If its just a day delay stay out longer they may re route to another port and bus or fly the paxs

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yep, going to Mobile per Johns' FB page:

Important notice for anyone sailing on the Carnival Conquest tomorrow.

Due to a river closure that is likely not lifted until noon tomorrow it has been decided to deviate the Carnival Conquest to Mobile, AL so as to ensure that we can disembark the guests as soon as possible. Although exact times may change we anticipate that the vessel will be alongside in Mobile around 3 pm tomorrow.

Please use the text alert service found on your 'manage my bookings" on carnival.com . I will also keep you updated of course.

I'm supposed to go on the Conquest today. I signed up for the text alert last night. Got one around 10 PM, but nothing since.:confused:

Now this is not right! You are a pax and they aren't informing you??? Expecting to sail out of Nola and they aren't telling you where or when to go to board???

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL CONQUEST

JULY 7, 2013

July 7, 2013

Hello again,

I know you are anxiously awaiting news about your cruise today, so I want to take a moment to provide you with an update.

I am sorry to say the Mississippi River remains closed to ship traffic as the US Coast Guard continues its survey of the area to locate the wreckage of the sunken vessel. The authorities plan to provide us with an update on when the Mississippi River may reopen by noon today. However, due to the uncertainty of when the river will open, and because we want to provide you with the vacation you are expecting, we made the decision early this morning to proceed to the port of Mobile, AL given the 15 hours cruising time needed to get there.

We will now operate your cruise from Mobile, Alabama, on Monday, July 8, 2013, as a 6 day sailing, on a revised itinerary.

Our new itinerary is as follows:

DAYPORTARRIVEDEPART

MonMobile, Alabama5:00 PM

TueFun Day @ Sea

WedFreeport, The Bahamas9:00 AM5:00 PM

ThuNassau, The Bahamas8:00 AM5:00 PM

FriFun Day @ Sea

SatFun Day @ Sea

SunNew Orleans, LA8:00 AM

Check in for your cruise will take place on Monday in New Orleans. Since we are still finalizing the embarkation logistics, an email will be sent at 2pm including check-in information.

Mobile is approximately two and a half hours driving time away from New Orleans. Complimentary motor coach transportation from New Orleans to Mobile will be provided. Please do not drive to Mobile as the ship will return to New Orleans the following Sunday.

We know how much you were looking forward to your 7 day cruise and sincerely apologize for this unexpected change in plans. Due to the shortened duration, you will receive:

- A prorated one day refund of your cruise fare. The refund will be processed in three weeks to the original form of payment.

- Reimbursement for pre purchased shore excursions for Key West, along with a refund of any government fees and taxes will be posted to your on board Sail and Sign account.

- A prorated one day refund of your gratuities.

If you have not already done so, to stay in touch, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates. If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

We are very sorry that we are unable to deliver the seven day cruise you were expecting due to these unforeseen circumstances. Nonetheless, we are still looking forward to hosting you on board for a fun and memorable cruise. In the event you choose not to sail with us, please contact us at 1-800-CARNIVAL to request a full refund.

I will be back with you later today with more information on your check in plans for tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

John Heald

Here is the latest news on the Carnival Conquest for you

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL CONQUEST

JULY 7, 2013

July 7, 2013

Hello again,

I know you are anxiously awaiting news about your cruise today, so I want to take a moment to provide you with an update.

I am sorry to say the Mississippi River remains closed to ship traffic as the US Coast Guard continues its survey of the area to locate the wreckage of the sunken vessel. The authorities plan to provide us with an update on when the Mississippi River may reopen by noon today. However, due to the uncertainty of when the river will open, and because we want to provide you with the vacation you are expecting, we made the decision early this morning to proceed to the port of Mobile, AL given the 15 hours cruising time needed to get there.

We will now operate your cruise from Mobile, Alabama, on Monday, July 8, 2013, as a 6 day sailing, on a revised itinerary.

Our new itinerary is as follows:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Mobile, Alabama 5:00 PM

Tue Fun Day @ Sea

Wed Freeport, The Bahamas 9:00 AM 5:00 PM

Thu Nassau, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Fri Fun Day @ Sea

Sat Fun Day @ Sea

Sun New Orleans, LA 8:00 AM

Check in for your cruise will take place on Monday in New Orleans. Since we are still finalizing the embarkation logistics, an email will be sent at 2pm including check-in information.

Mobile is approximately two and a half hours driving time away from New Orleans. Complimentary motor coach transportation from New Orleans to Mobile will be provided. Please do not drive to Mobile as the ship will return to New Orleans the following Sunday.

We know how much you were looking forward to your 7 day cruise and sincerely apologize for this unexpected change in plans. Due to the shortened duration, you will receive:

- A prorated one day refund of your cruise fare. The refund will be processed in three weeks to the original form of payment.

- Reimbursement for pre purchased shore excursions for Key West, along with a refund of any government fees and taxes will be posted to your on board Sail and Sign account.

- A prorated one day refund of your gratuities.

If you have not already done so, to stay in touch, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates. If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

We are very sorry that we are unable to deliver the seven day cruise you were expecting due to these unforeseen circumstances. Nonetheless, we are still looking forward to hosting you on board for a fun and memorable cruise. In the event you choose not to sail with us, please contact us at 1-800-CARNIVAL to request a full refund.

I will be back with you later today with more information on your check in plans for tomorrow.

from his facebook page. I find it very strange that whenever there is a Carnival problem, Carnival never updates their site or facebook page and you always gotta look at John H facebook

I'd be bummed...no Key West :mad: would be the only reason I took that itinerary...so now all those PAX have to stay in a hotel in Nola tonight?! Yeah, thats gonna be cheap :rolleyes:

Well, I guess its the best that can be done considering the unforseen circumstances. They're still crusing :)

Edit: why don't they put this on the front page of their webiste as an alert? Airlines do it, weather channels do it etc. who the heck cares or knows to go to some FB page. The company should have it front and center for their pax.

from his facebook page. I find it very strange that whenever there is a Carnival problem, Carnival never updates their site or facebook page and you always gotta look at John H facebook

There is information on their FAQs page. But you have to search it out. They don't have a red ALERT tab on the homepage.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-1444843

Maggie

There is an update on the CCL website, but they bury them in the FAQ instead of on the main page.

There is an update on the CCL website, but they bury them in the FAQ instead of on the main page.

Thats just silly to me. Like a person sailing (or supposed to be anyway) in a few hours knows to go searching for it. And is likely checking out of their hotel etc at this hour.

Geesh...seems simple enough to me put it on the front page :confused:

I just hope all the paxs are informed of what's going on.. I know people like my parents would be lost because they don't use a smart phone and wouldn't be able to look up any information..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived