Not Good for the Conquest

OH but don't y'all remember??? A ship of the Conquest's size is TOO BIG to USE the Mobile cruise terminal!! :rolleyes:

Yeah and they must have been able to turn it around in the basin since it is headed toward the Gulf (at the terminal, at this time).;)

I didn't think that Conquest could turn in the basin upriver from the terminal, but from the photos, it looks like that's what they did. I'm sure they had to have tug assistance to do it. Fantasy class size ships can turn in that basin unassisted. The turning basin downriver is 50% larger than the upriver basin. That's the one that the big container ships use. The terminal itself can handle almost any size cruise ship. The only drawback being available parking in the terminal garage.

This was in a news blog for bama. " The vessel arrived into Mobile shortly after 1 p.m., but had to cruise north to Prichard before turning around in the Mobile River in order to arrive into the terminal. "

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OH but don't y'all remember??? A ship of the Conquest's size is TOO BIG to USE the Mobile cruise terminal!! :rolleyes:

isnt the conquest similar to the triumph? If so, then the conquest would of fitted in the terminal without a problem

isnt the conquest similar to the triumph? If so, then the conquest would of fitted in the terminal without a problem

Fitting at the terminal never was a problem. SUPPOSEDLY turning the ship around was the problem....:rolleyes:

Im sure MOBILE was paid highly both times...

True, but Carnival is pulling out of either Maryland or Virginia,(or both), they can thank Mobile with one if those ships.

The Conquest is a little bigger the Triumph. Not by much. Been on both.

This was in a news blog for bama. " The vessel arrived into Mobile shortly after 1 p.m., but had to cruise north to Prichard before turning around in the Mobile River in order to arrive into the terminal. "

You definitely do NOT want to cruise, drive, bike, walk, fly or anything else in Prichard, AL!! LOL I'm surprised that they could turn the ship in that basin. It's only 1000' wide, and Conquest is 963' long. Not a lot of room for error. Holiday lost power while turning up there and crashed into a pier. I think that was one reason that they sent Elation to Mobile. With the Azipods, it could spin on a dime. The other basin, downriver is 1500' wide, but it would mean they would have to back up the river for about a mile. When Triumph left Mobile for Freeport, they towed it downriver with tugs and then it turned in the bigger basin before heading out.

It's bittersweet! I could cruise year around and be happy but I miss dog whenever I'm away! Lol. I will say this the only thing that bothered me about diversion was some of the other passengers! Granted it was a small group but they were loud about their opinions! Many were mad a carnival over the situation!!! And some even wanted a refund because it rained all day one day and because of the diversion!!! I personally looked at it as free cruise time!!!! Lol

These are the type of people I want to slap across the face and kick where the sun don't shine, and scream in their face how stupid they sound

So I'm not the only one who questioned the whole "anything bigger than Fantasy class won't fit"!! Obviously it's possible to fit even a Conquest class there. Maybe not an ideal docking procedure, but it's certainly possible.

I am one who would love to see a ship return to Mobile - even a Fantasy class. I never got a chance to cruise from there and it was one of the last places to offer cruises to Calica. That was a very primitive port, but a fabulous drop off spot in the Mexican Riviera.

I was wondering if there would be any specials, but I see Sarge has tried and failed on that front. Not that I could go anyway, but I was curious.

So I'm not the only one who questioned the whole "anything bigger than Fantasy class won't fit"!! Obviously it's possible to fit even a Conquest class there. Maybe not an ideal docking procedure, but it's certainly possible.

I am one who would love to see a ship return to Mobile - even a Fantasy class. I never got a chance to cruise from there and it was one of the last places to offer cruises to Calica. That was a very primitive port, but a fabulous drop off spot in the Mexican Riviera.

I was wondering if there would be any specials, but I see Sarge has tried and failed on that front. Not that I could go anyway, but I was curious.

Ahhhh Calica....lol primitive port is a very good description. However I think I would take it over progreso.

I liked going to Calica as well. It was ideal for going to Playa del Carmen, Cancun or to Xcaret.

Ahhhh Calica....lol primitive port is a very good description. However I think I would take it over progreso.

Definitely!

I liked going to Calica as well. It was ideal for going to Playa del Carmen, Cancun or to Xcaret.

The one time I got to go there, we went to Xcaret. Loved it! And it was SO close to the ship. They even ran a shuttle bus back and forth. I was hoping to go back there and do Tulum, then they pulled out completely. :(

Has Carnival even been to Calica since they retired the last of the Holiday class? That may be why it was only offered from Mobile while the Holiday was there.

Yes the elation went there right before they pulled out of mobile in 2011. I was there in march of that year.

Calica was a fake port. LOL. I don't mean fake port like Costa Maya where this port complex is surrounded by nowheresville... I mean the port literally disappeared 30 minutes before departure.

Went there once on Mercury, we were a little late coming back from Cancun (not a big issue considering there was a strenuous 4 mile sail to Cozumel for the next day). And when we got back... everything that was there in the morning was gone.

I read somewhere that the Triumph and Conquest are sister ships, however they made the triumph longer and skinnier so that it could fit through the Panama Canal.

Conquest is longer but they both have about the same beam width.

Archived