Mahogany Bay?

DavidsNana

Will be at Mahogany Bay Port in November. My husband has a difficult time walking long distances. Can anyone who has been to this port tell me the approximate distance from the ship dock to the chairlift and how far from the ship dock to where the excursions leave from? We are trying to decide if we need to rent a wheelchair or not as he does not need it onboard the ship or in the other ports. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I would say about 200 yds, maybe a little farther, slightly uphill. The chairlift would be a little bit closer than where they meet for tours, but not much farther.

They have their own website where you can see the layout and some pictures.

mahoganybaycc.com

Send from iphone 5 using Cruise Critic App

I'll paste this from the thread on this question from a couple of days ago...

Have docked at Mahogony Bay...

1) It is a long, uphill ramp to get from the ship to the shopping area up at the top of the hill.

8664.Mahogany%20Bay%20Shopping.JPG

See the windy path at the bottom left. That is the uphill path from the ship to the shopping/taxi area at the top. (the striped ramp on the map below is all uphill. As is the last part of the marked path)

Not terribly steep, but I'd imagine a challenge for mobility impaired.

2) If you book an independat excursion, Like Bodden or Rony, you have to walk from the cab area, up a hill and outside the pier area to meet your Guide. (we did Bodden last time in Roatan)

maptobodden.gif

The hill to walk out is the upper left.

mahoganybayhill.jpg

I have heard you can pay a cab $2-3 to drive you the couple hundred yards out the gate to meet your ride. (have not personally tried myself yet though)

They do allow them to drop you off all the way back inside.

Hope that helps a bit...

Bill

Thanks to Chosbor2 and bguppies for the 1st hand information and the pictures. I did look at some websites but hard to tell how far and what is uphill. You guys provided just the information I needed. Based on your info, a wheelchair is in order so I will rent one and have it onboard when we get on the ship. Thanks again so very much. Davidsnana/Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

The Carnival Village in Mahogany Bay.

IMG_0260.jpg

Once you leave the Carnival Village in Mahogany Bay, you need to walk up a steep hill and then come down the other side. All independent tour operators will be waiting at the bottom of this hill.

Walking through the Village.

IMG_4764.jpg

Making the trek up the hill.

IMG_4766.jpg

...and then coming down on the other side. You can see the tour operators all congregated at the bottom of the hill on the right side of the photo.

IMG_4770.jpg

It took us between 10-15 minutes to get from the ship to the bottom of the hill. This walk would be difficult for anyone with mobility issues.

Definitely consider the taxi if doing a private tour - especially if mobility challenged. We did mission work there a few weeks ago and had 5 suitcases - we were sooooo thankful for the taxis - well worth $2pp. Remember, even in the morning, it is usually very warm and humid.

bguppies I like the way you do things. The Roatan map is great...:)

Now in your spare time can you do one or do you already have one for Belize, Cosumel and Costa Maya??????????????? That would be very helpful :rolleyes:.

I have now cut and pasted the Roatan one to my folder for the October trip.

Thanks.

bguppies I like the way you do things. The Roatan map is great...:)

Now in your spare time can you do one or do you already have one for Belize, Cosumel and Costa Maya??????????????? That would be very helpful :rolleyes:.

I have now cut and pasted the Roatan one to my folder for the October trip.

Thanks.

Yeah I just save links to items I need to send to family or I might need in here again...

Have lots of links to maps for Cozumel...

a couple for costa maya and none for Belize.

Just post for maps in those two boards and I'll be happy to link you to what I have saved.

I am the original poster and would like to thank all of you for your responses and information. Pictures and maps are wonderful. I am ordering a rental wheelchair to have in our cabin and if we take a private tour will definately take he cab up the hill. Can't imagine pushing someone up that hill in a wheelchair! Too bad Carnival Corp did not provide some kind of golf cart/shuttle vehicle or pedicab service for people who have walking problems. Maybe in the future. Thanks again. Barbara

Archived