Pictures of Explorer sailing under Verrazano Bridge 7.6.13

Good morning!

I was in the New York area yesterday and paid a visit to Ft. Waddsworth on Staten Island to watch Explorer of the Seas and Queen Mary 2 depart and sail under the Verrazano Bridge. For those who don’t know QM2 departed on her 200th Atlantic Crossing yesterday. (Norwegian Gem was also in New York for turn around, although not the focus of my camera, she was a bonus)

Here are a couple from a beautiful (although HOT) day! For additional photos please visit my gallery at

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/QM2-ExOTS-NCL-Gem

Enjoy the photos!

DSC_9676.jpg?m=1373165266

DSC_9682.jpg?m=1373165274

DSC_9683.jpg?m=1373165282

DSC_9693.jpg?m=1373165290

DSC_9721.jpg?m=1373165309

DSC_9743.jpg?m=1373165324

9/11 Memorial at Cape Liberty

DSC_9650.jpg?m=1373165233

The memorial is located at the tip of the peninsula. For those interested in visiting, follow the long road into Cape Liberty. After you make the first left approaching the ship make a RIGHT TOWARDS THE SHIP, don't make a left at the sign that says, "TO SHIP". The people directing traffic will try to prevent you from going the direction you need to but just tell them, "going to the memorial"

Thank you for the pictures. I'm especially making a note of the directions to the memorial. When I get there I want to be sure and see that as well.

If someone doesn't tell you about the memorial, you sadly wouldn't even know it was there. We didn't know about it until we saw it once as we were sailing away. It wasn't easy to find once we got back to port because the traffic people tend to direct all the traffic away from the memorial assuming that you're picking up or dropping off.

Here's a pic from Google Earth, The green arrows are the traffic flow that you're expected to follow to drop off/pick up. Where the first blue arrow is there's a large flashing sign displaying "TO SHIP <---" Just keep right and follow the road to a parking lot (Lot will most likely be busy with crew shuttles, this is the crew entrance to the ship). The person directing traffic was NOT happy I made a right, I just shouted "Going to the memorial" Depending on which way the ship docks this location does make for some nice ship pictures as well.

CapeLibertyJPG.jpeg?m=1373217210

Archived