PLEASE HELP W/ SEATTLE & ASTORIA PORTS

Hello-we are doing the NCL Star repo 9/25/05-I dont know Seattle- i am looking for affordable ideas for the 9am-5pm port day w/ DM. Ideally, would like to take trolly/walk from dock to Int'l Dist/Chinatown & Pikes Mrk(not sure of distance/ location of dock etc) or is this a cab ride? We have already done the 3 hr city tour, Seattle Ctr, Queen Dist, locks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I love what I have seen of Seattle and want to make the most of our 8 short hrs(no wasting time on long lunches or reg shopping you can do anywhere etc :) cant wait to visit the Emerald City for my 2nd. time.

I would also greatly appreciate any feedback on the following: Astoria-we are in port-8am-2pm-since its so short, probably just wander @ the town?? Hardly anything on the boards @ Astoria. Vancouver- we are thinking of doing the horse drawn 1 hr carriage ride in Stanley and/or a 3 hr city tour for a general overview of the city as we are arriving the day before-any spec tours and feedback on the above. Thanks so much to all. Liz

The NCL ships dock at Pier 66, which is not far from Pike Place Market. You'd want to take the trolley from the pier to the International District, it's a pretty long walk. If you're interested in Asian culture, the Wing Luke Museum in the International District is an interesting place to visit. If you want to shop in the ID, the biggest place is Uwajimaya (I'm probably spelling that wrong). It's a cross between a supermarket a department store, and I always find unique stuff there. Also, in Pioneer Square (the trolley stops there on the way to the ID), there's the (free) Klondike Gold Rush Historical Park, which is actually a little museum in a building just off Occidental Park, and of course the Underground Tour, which is very fun and starts in Doc Maynard's, right on Pioneer Square Park. When I have guests in from out of town, I usually take them to Pike Place and the Underground Tour, unless they're interested in Asian culture, in which case I'd take them to Pike Place and the ID to see the Wing Luke Museum.

As for getting around, you'll want to take the trolley (not free) to the ID/Pioneer Square, then take a (free) bus from the ID/Pioneer Square up to Pike Place, then stroll down the hillclimb and up the waterfront back to the ship. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to take one of the bus tunnel buses from the ID bus tunnel station up to Westlake, then head due west and you'll be at the Market. Check out transit.metrokc.gov for more info about the public transit options in Seattle.

There's also the Space Needle, but I personally think it's overpriced, and the view is better from the Columbia Center tower (tallest building in town). It's also closer to Pioneer Square/ID, on 4th & Cherry.

I've never been to Astoria, so I'm no help there. I just know there's a lot of Lewis & Clark stuff there that's probably worth seeing.

I've heard from folks who live in BC that the Storyeum (in Gastown, very near Canada Place) is really cool, but I haven't been yet. The Aquarium in Stanley Park is great, and the art museum is nice too.

Calikak-thank you so much for the info-it sounds like just the plan/route I was hoping for. The underground tour sound great-not sure if we will have enough time in the 7 hrs, but def want to do it. Seen the Space Needle and totally agree. Thanks again for the details, I really appreciate it!!!!! Liz

• 3 weeks later...

Archived