Smart phones aboard the ship

Giantfan13

Please don't come down on me if this is a silly question. I am old, and my phone is just a 'stupid' phone, all it does is make phone calls. So we are traveling with another couple who do have a smart phone. They asked me if they can pick up the internet while cruising?. We are on the Glory in July, going to Canada. So (I believe) a smart phone picks up it's signal from satellites, wouldn't one be able to get on the internet on their phone, while the ship is cruising?

Again if I am way off base on this, blame age :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Strictly speaking a smart phone will remain fully functional aboard ship. The downside is that you will incur very high cellphone charges between Cellular at Sea (the satellites) and your own carrier (verizon, att, sprint, etc). Due to the high cost of using ur phone at sea most people turn it off or put it in airplane mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Please don't come down on me if this is a silly question. I am old, and my phone is just a 'stupid' phone, all it does is make phone calls. So we are traveling with another couple who do have a smart phone. They asked me if they can pick up the internet while cruising?. We are on the Glory in July, going to Canada. So (I believe) a smart phone picks up it's signal from satellites, wouldn't one be able to get on the internet on their phone, while the ship is cruising?

Cheers

Len

This is definitely NOT a dumb question. Your friends would be really upset if they used their phone for internet while cruising and incurred huge charges.

thanks for the info.

I understand about calling from a ship while cruising. I just thought that getting on the internet was different than from making a regular phone call.

So it is still considered making a phone call, even if you are just checking your email>

Cheers

Len

thanks for the info.

I understand about calling from a ship while cruising. I just thought that getting on the internet was different than from making a regular phone call.

So it is still considered making a phone call, even if you are just checking your email>

Cheers

Len

Even just to check email or receive texts they will accrue high usage charges. If they really need access I would suggest they call their cell phone company to see what the specific charges are. I have seen several posts where people were surprised with a $500 or more phone bill because with smart phones they are always receiving data when on even if not being used unless you put the phone on airplane mode.

On land your phone receives it's signal from cell towers. At sea there are no cell towers. So any voice or data needs to go through the ships satellite system. E-mail and texts also come at a premium cost. If you need to use your phone the cheapest rate is from your cabin phone. Anything else is just crazy expensive.

I put my phone onto AIRPLANE MODE while on the ship. You can call your cell provider and ask about INTERNATIONAL DATA plan at a small monthly rate. My provider has a 1 month minumum then I can de-activate it after the month.

For the small monthly fee while I am on a cruise, then when in port I can pull up maps, communicate with family (on apps or facebook etc.) It is a nice option to have for emergencies.

Be sure to check that the ports/countries you are visiting are covered under your plan (most are)

Then remember to turn the AIRPLANE MODE back on while onboard.

Here are some tips for managing a smart phone while on a cruise:

How to manage a cell phone while on a cruise.

The safest is to set the phone to Airplane Mode but this will generally make it useless for receiving calls or text messages. If Data Roaming and Fetch New Data are turned off the phone can still be used to receive calls and text messages but you will still be charged. Calls are charged at $2.49 a minute on board the ship and you get charged two minutes even if you do not answer the call.

If receiving phone calls is not important to you then Unconditionally Forward your calls to a number other than your cell phone such as a home phone number.

iPhone

1. Settings

2. Phone Call Forwarding – On (enter number)

If AT&T is the carrier you can subscribe to their Global Messaging 50 Plan for 1 month. It costs $10 to send 50 Text/Pictures/Video messages and all the incoming messages are free. They also have a 200 message plan for $30. Not sure about Verizon but check with them.

In any case it is important to turn off Data Roaming and Fetch New Data as these two options can use data without you being aware and could create a large bill. Even if the phone is in Airplane Mode and Data Roaming and Fetch New Data are not turned OFF. If you would turn the phone on during the cruise to use it there is data waiting to be pushed by the carrier and all that data will come pouring in.

Hope it helps,

Vinnie

Strictly speaking a smart phone will remain fully functional aboard ship. The downside is that you will incur very high cellphone charges between Cellular at Sea (the satellites) and your own carrier (verizon, att, sprint, etc). Due to the high cost of using ur phone at sea most people turn it off or put it in airplane mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

To set the record straight - you do NOT get charged by BOTH. The ships cell receivers are owned by one company (formerly Cellular at Sea) and the cell carriers pay for usage of the receivers. All of the charges will be billed by your carrier. Data (internet) is almost non-existent most of the time.

As previously stated have your friends contact their carrier and find out about their options. I always add the international plan as I like having service where ever I am. I keep my phone on all of the time on a cruise and have yet to incur a $500 bill - I don't think I've even ever gone over the data allowance on an 8 night cruise.

I'm with Sprint and have directions on calling back to the states but have NEVER been able to do so.

I enter the code etc. but I get no where.

Is there anyone out there with Sprint that can tell me how to make a call back to the states?

Len,

Don't define old as 55... Please.

Smart phones are just a digital cell phone. They depend on a carrier like ATT and Verizon to provide a signal in "cells" or bubbles of coverage. A sophisticated system hands the signal back and forth as you and I travel around on land. You can see a cell antenna virtually everywhere you look, as they are short range. Cellular providers hang antenna on water towers, power towers and stand alone structures.

No smart phone communicates directly with satellites. Satellite phones exist, but they are different than what you asked about. Simple so far.

In the "old days" cell providers had a "home area" usually limited to a large metropolitan city and the user paid roaming charges once they left that area. My first cell phone cost $45 a month, 30 cents a minute and had a home area about 35 miles around the Houston area.

Technology is a wonderful thing, and the digital age hit cell phones. This is when Motorola virtually bailed out of the cell phone business. Digital communication allows for much more range, a lesser cost, lower powered device, the bag phones vanished and the iPhone became part of peoples right hand. Bored yet?

As others have posted, no cell towers are anchored at sea, so the cruise industry discovered a source of profit if they installed a satellite transmitter/receiver that would serve as a cell phone signal relay device aboard their fleet.

Today most (if not all) of the equipment is owned by a company called Cellular At Sea. They install the equipment on the ship, maintain it and pay a handsome amount of money to the cruise lines for the privilege.

All the above is correct except for who pays the bill. When we use or phones at sea (and some even while in port) AND we have roaming active the cell phone "locks on" the strongest signal, enabling the cost to run like a meter in a taxi. Worth it to some, but a shock to others when a bill of several hundred dollars greets them about 3 weeks after the vacation.

Here's the fix, or several. Turn off the phone, or put it in Airplane Mode. Power it down and lock it in the safe.

Go to Settings on the phone and disable Roaming. That prevents the ship system from capturing your signal. Phone service will be lost before the first Bingo number is called. Internet service will be too.

OK, so how do you get Internet and not use the Roaming? We'd need to purchase a package of minutes of Internet time from the cruise ship. If you are only using the Internet for a couple of minutes a day then "pay as you go" is the best bet.

Here's the danger; if you turn your phone on, and it's not disabled from roaming all those apps, email, text messages will push down to your phone. The Cellular at Sea folks just made their bonus quota!:D

Let me know if you passed out reading this. I'm waiting on a teleconference and the coffee has kicked in...

I'm with Sprint and have directions on calling back to the states but have NEVER been able to do so.

I enter the code etc. but I get no where.

Is there anyone out there with Sprint that can tell me how to make a call back to the states?

You can just direct dial. I have used my Sprint phone on a cruise in the past. I was able to make calls/send texts while on board, but in port I was not able to. I haven't been to any US islands (PR, St. Thomas, etc.), so I don't know whether it would work there.

I'm going on the Elation next week and I'm bringing my big dslr to take pictures but I want some pictures with my iPhone also. If I don't put it in airplane mode I will get charges just for having it on?

Len,

Don't define old as 55... Please.

Smart phones are just a digital cell phone. They depend on a carrier like ATT and Verizon to provide a signal in "cells" or bubbles of coverage. A sophisticated system hands the signal back and forth as you and I travel around on land. You can see a cell antenna virtually everywhere you look, as they are short range. Cellular providers hang antenna on water towers, power towers and stand alone structures.

No smart phone communicates directly with satellites. Satellite phones exist, but they are different than what you asked about. Simple so far.

In the "old days" cell providers had a "home area" usually limited to a large metropolitan city and the user paid roaming charges once they left that area. My first cell phone cost $45 a month, 30 cents a minute and had a home area about 35 miles around the Houston area.

Technology is a wonderful thing, and the digital age hit cell phones. This is when Motorola virtually bailed out of the cell phone business. Digital communication allows for much more range, a lesser cost, lower powered device, the bag phones vanished and the iPhone became part of peoples right hand. Bored yet?

As others have posted, no cell towers are anchored at sea, so the cruise industry discovered a source of profit if they installed a satellite transmitter/receiver that would serve as a cell phone signal relay device aboard their fleet.

Today most (if not all) of the equipment is owned by a company called Cellular At Sea. They install the equipment on the ship, maintain it and pay a handsome amount of money to the cruise lines for the privilege.

All the above is correct except for who pays the bill. When we use or phones at sea (and some even while in port) AND we have roaming active the cell phone "locks on" the strongest signal, enabling the cost to run like a meter in a taxi. Worth it to some, but a shock to others when a bill of several hundred dollars greets them about 3 weeks after the vacation.

Here's the fix, or several. Turn off the phone, or put it in Airplane Mode. Power it down and lock it in the safe.

Go to Settings on the phone and disable Roaming. That prevents the ship system from capturing your signal. Phone service will be lost before the first Bingo number is called. Internet service will be too.

OK, so how do you get Internet and not use the Roaming? We'd need to purchase a package of minutes of Internet time from the cruise ship. If you are only using the Internet for a couple of minutes a day then "pay as you go" is the best bet.

Here's the danger; if you turn your phone on, and it's not disabled from roaming all those apps, email, text messages will push down to your phone. The Cellular at Sea folks just made their bonus quota!:D

Let me know if you passed out reading this. I'm waiting on a teleconference and the coffee has kicked in...

Ha, if your 55, your a youngster LOL

I'm in the upper 60's, and some technology I have mastered, but other things, well I'll just stick to my 'stupid' phone.

My kids chipped in a bought me a tablet for Father's Day, and I do know how to play a few games on it. I'm on my way.:D:D:D:D

Thanks for the details on the phone. No I did not get bored reading it. In fact I learned a thing or two, so once again, thanks.

One more question. I looked at my phone and I don't believe I have an airplane mode on it. Is a 'stand alone' mode similar?

Cheers

Len

I'm going on the Elation next week and I'm bringing my big dslr to take pictures but I want some pictures with my iPhone also. If I don't put it in airplane mode I will get charges just for having it on?

Games, email, texts etc are all constantly pulling data so even when not in use you would still be using service and accruing charges. The only way to avoid that is airplane mode.

If you receive a call (even if you don't answer), text messages, or have e-mail or any app that fetches data in the background yes you will get charged since voice/data are charged at a international roaming rate.

Vinnie

OK:

If you need to use your Smartphone for data, voice and text this is what I do with my Verizon phone. I do a lot of International travel and need to stay in touch, plus the Navigation App is much better than most car rental GPS systems

1. Call Verizon and enable International Roaming.

2. Subscribe to their International Data Plan. It is an initial $29 charge and $25 for 100MB of data. If you go over 100MB you will be charged an additional $25 for 100MB additional data. This will continue for each time you exceed 100MB of data. You are not refunded for any unused data. I have spent three months in Europe and Asia and have always used less than $100 worth of data. The International Data Plan also includes most major cruise lines.

3. Buy a data package from the cruise line. Connect your Smartphone to the ship's Internet (buy a package instead pay by the minute) and use your Smartphone's data frugally. This will allow you to receive email and do simple browsing while at sea. Inform your friends to not send you "the joke of the day" or "pictures of the kitties" while you are away.

4. Use Skype or other VOIP based communication to make calls while on the ship. For short voice calls you will use less data and time than paying the $2.49/$1.99 that ship's charge.

5. Do not text. You will be charged .50 for each outgoing text and .05 for each incoming.

6. If you do not want to do this and leave your phone on then be prepared for $1,000+

7. The best thing is: Turn off the phone and use the ship's Internet Cafe if you need to check email.

Vinnie gives good advice, especially about data running in the background even if you aren't using the smartphone. You can certainly use the international plans mentioned, but if you don't want to pay extra to use the phone, the best bet is to take the battery out of the smartphone and place the battery and phone separately in the cabin safe before the ship leaves your embarkation port. You might want to suggest that they wear a watch though. Many people with smartphones use their phone to tell the time instead of wearing a watch, and they may not think about this if they choose to lock their phone in the safe. They wouldn't want to be late for dinner!

Have a great cruise!

Cheers

Len

Unless you want a $500 cell phone bill, keep the smart phones off. It definitely wasn't fun having to talk that down after my honeymoon on the Freedom of the Seas!

• 1 month later...

Archived