Balcony Dining question

dcipjr

Hey all,

I just upgraded to a BX balcony cabin for my upcoming cruise on the Breakaway. Because it's a guarantee, I don't know where we'll be placed yet—but since I upgraded from an inside cabin, it's definitely going to be way better, wherever we may wind up.

I would definitely like to use the balcony for a breakfast or dinner (or both!) with my wife. The last time we had a balcony was our honeymoon, and it was our first cruise. My cruise naïveté prevented us from having a meal on the balcony.

This time, my friends...this time will be different.

I know from our prior balcony experience (with the Epic) that the table on the balcony certainly isn't going to be big enough for anything besides a cup of coffee.

How, then, would dining on the balcony work? Do they give you a folding table or something? Or are you left to try to work it out with the trays?

Any pointers from folks who have done this would be most appreciated!

Hey all,

I just upgraded to a BX balcony cabin for my upcoming cruise on the Breakaway. Because it's a guarantee, I don't know where we'll be placed yet—but since I upgraded from an inside cabin, it's definitely going to be way better, wherever we may wind up.

I would definitely like to use the balcony for a breakfast or dinner (or both!) with my wife. The last time we had a balcony was our honeymoon, and it was our first cruise. My cruise naïveté prevented us from having a meal on the balcony.

This time, my friends...this time will be different.

I know from our prior balcony experience (with the Epic) that the table on the balcony certainly isn't going to be big enough for anything besides a cup of coffee.

How, then, would dining on the balcony work? Do they give you a folding table or something? Or are you left to try to work it out with the trays?

Any pointers from folks who have done this would be most appreciated!

The Breakaway's balconies are not big enough for that.

Thanks for the replies....I was afraid the balconies would be too small. But breakfast is her favorite meal anyway, so maybe we'll just do that.

Either way, the view will be better than an inside cabin's.

Thanks for the replies....I was afraid the balconies would be too small. But breakfast is her favorite meal anyway, so maybe we'll just do that.

No room for any kind of elaborate breakfast on THAT balcony. The thing is so small you don't even have room to belch after you eat it. It's nice to have the air though, and nothing's prettier than a sunrise at sea. (Or sunset depending on which direction you're traveling.) :)

Isn't the room service menu somewhat limited? Can you even order a full dinner if you are not in a suite? I know if you are in a suite you can order off the regular MDR menu and I believe also the specialty restaurants, but is there a way to do that if you are not in a suite? Maybe I'm thinking of another cruise line . . .

If your wife wants a real breakfast in the cabin it off to the buffet or O'Sheehans for you and doing a balancing act with 2 plates back to the cabin. Room service breakfast at best can be called continental breakfast.

Isn't the room service menu somewhat limited? Can you even order a full dinner if you are not in a suite? I know if you are in a suite you can order off the regular MDR menu and I believe also the specialty restaurants, but is there a way to do that if you are not in a suite? Maybe I'm thinking of another cruise line . . .

Your correct if not in a suite a very limited room service menu.

You can order chocolate covered strawberries from the Bon Voyage Department and either bring on a bottle of champagne for a $15 corkage fee or order one on the ship. Get a carafe of OJ from room service and make your own Mimosas. Sounds like a pretty good first day at sea breakfast on the balcony to me!

Surprise her, and have breakfast delivered to your cabin from room service.

Then take her to the dining room for breakfast.

Then cruise through the Buffet, to top everything off.

That will be a breakfast she will remember. :):);)

(Many of us experienced cruisers do it this way).

Archived