Is Visa Rewards OBC Combinable w/ WOW Sale, etc?

I have gotten different answers from the RCI customer service reps and the BoA reps.

Has anyone been able to successfully use both Visa Royal Rewards/Points OBC, WOW Sale OBC and TA OBC together on the same sailing?

:) Thanks!!

I have gotten different answers from the RCI customer service reps and the BoA reps.

Has anyone been able to successfully use both Visa Royal Rewards/Points OBC, WOW Sale OBC and TA OBC together on the same sailing?

:) Thanks!!

Here are the WOW terms and conditions:

*Terms and Conditions: The 50% reduced deposit can also be applied via any automated booking tool (Cruisematch®, Sabre, Amadeus, Galileo or Wordspan). However, the booking confirmation will not reflect the reduced deposit amount due. The WOW Sale Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit offer are applicable to all Royal Caribbean International® cruises that depart between September 1, 2013 - August 31, 2014 including Cruisetours. Offer applies to new FIT bookings with required deposit only and is not applicable to groups. Offer applies to all categories available. All bookings must be made and the required deposit must be paid by June 12, 2013, by 11:59 pm Local Time to qualify for the promotion. Bookings made on June 10, 11, or 12, 2013, without required deposit will not qualify for this offer. Offer is combinable with LAF and restricted rates (Seniors, Residents, Military). Offer is not combinable with any other offer or promotion, including, but not limited to, Interline, Travel Agent, Net Rates, Sales Event, Crown & Anchor Discounts, Shareholder Benefits or Next Cruise offers, promotions, or benefits. Offer is valid for Cruisetour packages but not combinable with other Cruisetours Onboard Credits. Bookings with a Cruisetour package will receive an OBC based on the combined length of the cruise and Cruisetour package. Onboard credit is in U.S. dollars, has no cash value, is not redeemable for cash, is not transferable and will expire if not used by 10:00 pm on the last evening of the cruise. In the event that a guest has more than one applicable offer for the same sailing, guest can choose the offer he or she wishes to apply. Offer is available in the United States and Canada. Any existing booking that is cancelled between June 4-12, 2013 and is rebooked for the same sailing on June 10, 11, or 12, 2013, will not be eligible to receive the offer. Any eligible reservation that is cancelled and is reinstated or changes the ship or sail date after June 12, 2013 will not be eligible to receive the offer. Onboard Credit will be applied to qualified bookings by Royal Caribbean International® within 4 weeks of the Sale. The 50% reduced deposit and onboard credit offer is applicable to on-line bookings; however, the on-line booking confirmation will not reflect this reduced deposit or onboard credit. Subject to availability. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy and in US dollars. Certain restrictions may apply. Government taxes and fees are additional. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. ©2013 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships registry: The Bahamas. Brilliance of the Seas is operated by RCL (UK) Ltd. Subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. 13034449 • 5/30/2013

I see nothing that mentions Visa points OBC or TA OBC.

Here are the WOW terms and conditions:

*Terms and Conditions: The 50% reduced deposit can also be applied via any automated booking tool (Cruisematch®, Sabre, Amadeus, Galileo or Wordspan). However, the booking confirmation will not reflect the reduced deposit amount due. The WOW Sale Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit offer are applicable to all Royal Caribbean International® cruises that depart between September 1, 2013 - August 31, 2014 including Cruisetours. Offer applies to new FIT bookings with required deposit only and is not applicable to groups. Offer applies to all categories available. All bookings must be made and the required deposit must be paid by June 12, 2013, by 11:59 pm Local Time to qualify for the promotion. Bookings made on June 10, 11, or 12, 2013, without required deposit will not qualify for this offer. Offer is combinable with LAF and restricted rates (Seniors, Residents, Military). Offer is not combinable with any other offer or promotion, including, but not limited to, Interline, Travel Agent, Net Rates, Sales Event, Crown & Anchor Discounts, Shareholder Benefits or Next Cruise offers, promotions, or benefits. Offer is valid for Cruisetour packages but not combinable with other Cruisetours Onboard Credits. Bookings with a Cruisetour package will receive an OBC based on the combined length of the cruise and Cruisetour package. Onboard credit is in U.S. dollars, has no cash value, is not redeemable for cash, is not transferable and will expire if not used by 10:00 pm on the last evening of the cruise. In the event that a guest has more than one applicable offer for the same sailing, guest can choose the offer he or she wishes to apply. Offer is available in the United States and Canada. Any existing booking that is cancelled between June 4-12, 2013 and is rebooked for the same sailing on June 10, 11, or 12, 2013, will not be eligible to receive the offer. Any eligible reservation that is cancelled and is reinstated or changes the ship or sail date after June 12, 2013 will not be eligible to receive the offer. Onboard Credit will be applied to qualified bookings by Royal Caribbean International® within 4 weeks of the Sale. The 50% reduced deposit and onboard credit offer is applicable to on-line bookings; however, the on-line booking confirmation will not reflect this reduced deposit or onboard credit. Subject to availability. Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy and in US dollars. Certain restrictions may apply. Government taxes and fees are additional. Offer may be withdrawn at any time. ©2013 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships registry: The Bahamas. Brilliance of the Seas is operated by RCL (UK) Ltd. Subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. 13034449 • 5/30/2013

I see nothing that mentions Visa points OBC or TA OBC.

Bob, I have always been able to use OBC from my BoA Royal card with every booking no matter what. Once when we used it for a free cruise, they tried to not give me credit for the cruise. I called C&A and protested that it was basically my money that was being used. I got the credit.

Bob, I have always been able to use OBC from my BoA Royal card with every booking no matter what. Once when we used it for a free cruise, they tried to not give me credit for the cruise. I called C&A and protested that it was basically my money that was being used. I got the credit.

I agree. I should have been clearer in my previous post and said that I saw nothing in the WOW terms and conditions that prohibited using Visa points or TA OBC with the WOW OBC.

I booked my upcoming Enchantment cruise during a wow sale. I then cashed in my Visa points for two free OV Cruises. It took around $1,000 of my total price.

No problems, visa credit was on my account within the week.

Will the points be for OBC, or for a free cruise?

If any doubt, a good option is call RC and request a three way with BofA to be sure. We've nipped a few potential problems in the bud by taking this step and the RC people didn't seem to mind getting us all together. The free cruises have more stipulations I believe than the OBC options.

The Royal Points are bought and paid for by B of A. RCI makes a profit by selling those points to B of A. When you redeem your points it on the B of A website.

I don't see any reason why the three OBC's should intersect at any point.

Will the points be for OBC, or for a free cruise?

If any doubt, a good option is call RC and request a three way with BofA to be sure. We've nipped a few potential problems in the bud by taking this step and the RC people didn't seem to mind getting us all together. The free cruises have more stipulations I believe than the OBC options.

Since RCI is the one that determines what is offered by each point level, why would a 3 way with BofA be beneficial especially now since all points are redeemed electronically and BofA is only registering the points on a monthly basis in your account.

The Royal Points are bought and paid for by B of A. RCI makes a profit by selling those points to B of A. When you redeem your points it on the B of A website.

I don't see any reason why the three OBC's should intersect at any point.

That was exactly the argument that I used with C&A:D Great minds must think alike. This time we are using points for a free Caribbean cruise for two but having them apply the cash value to a JS. That way we still get double points. We picked the most expensive cruise of a multi B2B and waited for the price to go up before calling them. Hey, squeeze every penny. We also combine with OBC from using NCC's and OBC from my TA. One time we had 4 different kinds of OBC on the same cruise.

Since RCI is the one that determines what is offered by each point level, why would a 3 way with BofA be beneficial especially now since all points are redeemed electronically and BofA is only registering the points on a monthly basis in your account.

Normally the points are purchased by the bank (or AMEX) that issues the loyalty card. I know there is some collaboration, but B of A decides how they are used.

Would you point me to who has control over the points? Not trying to be snarky. It's just not how most loyalty cards work.

Thank you all so much for the feedback!

I want to use the Royal Rewards for OBC (not enough for the free cruises yet!).

I was initially told that it would be okay to combine that OBC with the WOW Sale & TA OBC we already have on the sailing. But then a customer service rep just told me that the Visa Rewards OBC can't be combined with WOW Sale so I got confused.

Thank you, Patti - I agree it should be easy.

In our cases (free cruises and upgrading - not OBC), RCI would indicate full coupon value if we upgrade from oceanview to a balcony or suite, BofA would reduce the value of the coupon to the lowest oceanview category (not including guarantee rates). Several hundred dollars difference in some cases. Other confusion as well as to what was combinable and what wasn't. BofA has a pretty big say in these cases.

I just got tired of the back & forth and once we were together, it was settled and everyone was happy.

To the point of the OP, I think for OBC there are no restrictions or limits - it's just trading points for dollars and is unrelated to any other elements. But a three-way will eliminate any doubt and RC has been very accommodating to connect us all together when asked.

In our cases (free cruises and upgrading - not OBC), RCI would indicate full coupon value if we upgrade from oceanview to a balcony or suite, BofA would reduce the value of the coupon to the lowest oceanview category (not including guarantee rates). Several hundred dollars difference in some cases. Other confusion as well as to what was combinable and what wasn't. BofA has a pretty big say in these cases.

I just got tired of the back & forth and once we were together, it was settled and everyone was happy.

To the point of the OP, I think for OBC there are no restrictions or limits - it's just trading points for dollars and is unrelated to any other elements. But a three-way will eliminate any doubt and RC has been very accommodating to connect us all together when asked.

Thank you for explaining! That makes sense. I didn't realize it was even an option to get them on a 3-way call :) so thanks for sharing that!

Do you normally call the Rewards department for RCI or connect through their regular 1800 number?

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Thank you for explaining! That makes sense. I didn't realize it was even an option to get them on a 3-way call :) so thanks for sharing that!

Do you normally call the Rewards department for RCI or connect through their regular 1800 number?

What has worked for us is to call RC (either our vacation planner if appropriate or the 1-800 number - both were accommodating) and request they connect us with the Royal Points rewards department on a three way call to confirm our points can be used as we wish. Usually done within a few minutes and we get everything in place.

My guess is 98% of the rewards points redeemed don't need this step, but if there is confusion and you want to be sure it may be worth the extra time & effort.

What has worked for us is to call RC (either our vacation planner if appropriate or the 1-800 number - both were accommodating) and request they connect us with the Royal Points rewards department on a three way call to confirm our points can be used as we wish. Usually done within a few minutes and we get everything in place.

My guess is 98% of the rewards points redeemed don't need this step, but if there is confusion and you want to be sure it may be worth the extra time & effort.

Thanks again! I will try that. I agree, it's worth the few minutes to get a definite answer :)

Archived