Pregnancy, cancellation, and purchasing- so confused!?!

moesyk4

We have recently booked a cruise for January 4th, 2014. It is 100% refundable (not an Early Saver or anything). We are planning on using bonus points for Southwest for 2 out of 3 of our flights. Right now, we are planning on this cruise, but have left the door open for some friends to join us. We gave them until mid August to decide before we started booking stuff, and I know they are going on vacation themselves mid December, so there's a very real possibility if they decided to join us we may push the cruise back a month or two.

Anyway, we have been trying for 2 1/2 years to get pregnant with our second. We aren't pursuing any "outside measures" like fertility treatments or even actively trying anymore with charting and such (sorry if TMI) but are "not not" trying if that makes sense.

Anyway...with my first I got HORRIBLE morning sickness, like throwing up 10 + times a day and losing 17 pounds in 6 weeks kind of sickness. I was done by the 14th week, but if I were to get pregnant after the final payment I would probably want to push our cruise back to avoid being sick on the cruise. From my understanding, I would have to purchase "Cancel for any Reason" insurance in order to have that covered.

So my question is, all of those policies require purchase within 21 days of initial deposit. Are these policies transferrable since our travel dates aren't set in stone yet? Or would I be SOL if we changed? Does Carnival offer any options that would just allow us to change the cruise date with no charge since at least at this point Southwest lets you move flights with no charge if need be? I'm assuming everything else (hotels, rental car, etc.) would be refundable.

The Allianz plans (used to be Access America) include the following in their list of covered reasons for trip cancellation:

"Pregnancy: You become pregnant ( trip cancellation coverage only )."

Since this is part of the base coverage you would not need to pay the additional amount for Cancel For Any Reason coverage and it is not dependent on the policy being purchased in any particular time frame. I would just be as sure as possible that I was NOT pregnant as of the date the policy was purchased.

Archived