Taxi from Dover to Heathrow

You do realize a taxi from Dover to LHR will probably be over 100 pounds?

I believe the taxi rank at the port is well-stocked, as it were. Not sure if the cost is substantially less booking ahead, however.

Our September cruise disembarks in Dover. We have a 1:30 flight from Heathrow. Can someone tell me if there are taxis lined up at the dock or do I have to make arrangements for a taxi before we leave?

Hi, Weston gal,

Have had a quick look at prices for minicabs etc in Dover. Most of them are £125 + a car (sedan). Some nearly £200. I have not used the services - never been from Dover to LHR, so cannot recommend. Taxis do seem a

very expensive way to go.

If I were you I would go on your roll call (or ports of call) to find out what others recommend or even join or organise a much larger van to take a group from your cruise up to LHR. It would certainly cut down the cost. You may find someone has already done just that and can include you in

their transportation. Good luck.

Just type in "transport from Dover to LHR", see what you can find and then

go on tripadvisor to see if people recommend them

Hi, Weston gal,

Have had a quick look at prices for minicabs etc in Dover. Most of them are £125 + a car (sedan). Some nearly £200. I have not used the services - never been from Dover to LHR, so cannot recommend. Taxis do seem a

very expensive way to go.

If I were you I would go on your roll call (or ports of call) to find out what others recommend or even join or organise a much larger van to take a group from your cruise up to LHR. It would certainly cut down the cost. You may find someone has already done just that and can include you in

their transportation. Good luck.

Just type in "transport from Dover to LHR", see what you can find and then

go on tripadvisor to see if people recommend them

I was shocked to see how much it cost for a taxi to LHR, so I did post on the roll call for anyone interested in sharing a ride. I didn't receive any response. It is a very active one which I just joined. All of the shared rides have been filled for months. Carnival charges $89.pp for their shuttle, so taking a taxi on my own, or possibly waiting as others exit the ship is my only alternative for now. Thank you for your help.

I was shocked to see how much it cost for a taxi to LHR.

Well, it is a 2-hour trip. It's like taking a taxi from New York City to Philadelphia.

The train option isn't horrible - train to Kings Cross, taxi to Paddington, train to LHR - but not sure if you'd save a lot of money if you're 2 people.

The cheapest rate for a pre-booked taxi I could find was 109 pounds, which works out to US$162. The cruise line's transfer, at US$89/person, isn't that bad a deal.

Well, it is a 2-hour trip. It's like taking a taxi from New York City to Philadelphia.

The train option isn't horrible - train to Kings Cross, taxi to Paddington, train to LHR - but not sure if you'd save a lot of money if you're 2 people.

The cheapest rate for a pre-booked taxi I could find was 109 pounds, which works out to US$162. The cruise line's transfer, at US$89/person, isn't that bad a deal.

Hi, have been trying again to find something reasonable but Twickenham's

suggestion of your cruise line's transfer sounds the best way to go. But check if it will be at Heathrow early enough for you to catch your flight. I would contact your cruise line to see if they can confirm the transfer will be ok for your flight. Or is there a possibility of you changing to a later

flight. It doesn't give you much time if there are road traffic problems.

Good luck.

Hi, have been trying again to find something reasonable but Twickenham's

suggestion of your cruise line's transfer sounds the best way to go. But check if it will be at Heathrow early enough for you to catch your flight. I would contact your cruise line to see if they can confirm the transfer will be ok for your flight. Or is there a possibility of you changing to a later

flight. It doesn't give you much time if there are road traffic problems.

Good luck.

We have never flown out of LHR. The cruise line advised flights after 12noon, so I thought 1:30 would be safe. Since I booked the flight, which I cannot change without a penalty, I have heard horror stories about probleems and delays with security. It is very scary. I once missed a flight in Paris because of traffic and a late shuttle, it was a terrible experience. I will check with Carnival about their shuttle. Thank you again.

While not my first choice, but so far nothing on the roll call in terms of sharing a private car, I have booked the Princess transfer for Aug. 22nd - surprisingly only $59pp. We have a 2:40 pm flight, so we should have plenty of time, even allowing for traffic.

We have never flown out of LHR. The cruise line advised flights after 12noon, so I thought 1:30 would be safe. Since I booked the flight, which I cannot change without a penalty, I have heard horror stories about probleems and delays with security. It is very scary. I once missed a flight in Paris because of traffic and a late shuttle, it was a terrible experience. I will check with Carnival about their shuttle. Thank you again.

Hi weston gal,

I would definitely contact your cruise line and your TA, especially if Carnival advised a flight after 12 noon. Doesn't seem to leave a great deal of wriggle room. Not trying to worry you but you will definitely need to be one of the first off the ship and on the first Carnival shuttle, or whatever transport you decide on, to leave. I am sure things will be fine but best to do your homework now rather than leave it nearer to your cruise. BTW there are a number of LHR Terminals

I see that the OP has decided to take the ship's shuttle. In her circumstances, that's probably one of the better options for getting from Dover port to LHR. The other would be to pre-book a private car service.

With plenty of time (such as a late afternoon flight) it would be cheaper to take a local taxi to the station in Dover, then a train into London, taxi to a different London main line station and then tube or Heathrow Express to LHR. That is cost-effective, but could be difficult with any more than hand baggage and one piece of luggage per person.

I don't think the OP had appreciated the distances involved when shocked by the cost of a private care hire. That's partly the fault of the cruise lines, which persist in describing the ports thus: "London (Dover", "London (Harwich)", etc.

While not my first choice, but so far nothing on the roll call in terms of sharing a private car, I have booked the Princess transfer for Aug. 22nd - surprisingly only $59pp. We have a 2:40 pm flight, so we should have plenty of time, even allowing for traffic.

Hi Who did you call to arrange the Princess transfer? We're on the Ocean Princess 8/22-8/30 and the website said book transfers through your TA--but our TA's are expensive. Thanks

daydreamer16-I went into my Cruise Personalizer, and on the right hand side I clicked on Flights and Transfers -it gave me the option of booking transfers either or both ways - I did not book my flights through Princess.

There are cabs outside the terminal but I think only for local transport. Anyone I know that chose a private car/taxi to LHR last week arranged it beforehand. Some used Folkstone Taxi.

We used Folkstone from Dover to our lodging in London and they were reliable. We had 4 people plus a whole lot of luggage so we had a larger car. The pricce was good and the convenience of door-to-door service was worth the cost.

DON

• 4 weeks later...
We used Folkstone from Dover to our lodging in London and they were reliable. We had 4 people plus a whole lot of luggage so we had a larger car. The pricce was good and the convenience of door-to-door service was worth the cost.

DON

We are thinking to book Folkstone for our September cruise. Did you have to give credit card info over email? Thanks!:D

We are thinking to book Folkstone for our September cruise. Did you have to give credit card info over email? Thanks!:D

We were asked to give it by phone which turned out to be a very expensive phone call. Another person on our roll call was not asked for CC info. Not sure why. As it turned out, we had to cancel our reservation and Folkstone did indeed refund our money.

Archived