MDR Dress Code - How Strict?

jesscruiser

We just came off of our first cruise (the Valor) a few weeks ago. DH is not a "dresser upper" per se; however he would wear dark khakis and a polo shirt on non formal nights and dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie on the formal nights. We used the opportunity to get great photos of the two if us....I was worried that his attire wasn't going to be classy enough; however, it turned out to be fine!!!! The worst thing we encountered in the MDR was the fist fighting, extension-pulling smack down between two grown women. And if memory serves me correctly, this occurred on the second formal night! Now that's class!!

We just came off of our first cruise (the Valor) a few weeks ago. DH is not a "dresser upper" per se; however he would wear dark khakis and a polo shirt on non formal nights and dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie on the formal nights. We used the opportunity to get great photos of the two if us....I was worried that his attire wasn't going to be classy enough; however, it turned out to be fine!!!! The worst thing we encountered in the MDR was the fist fighting, extension-pulling smack down between two grown women. And if memory serves me correctly, this occurred on the second formal night! Now that's class!!

Wow! Just when you think you've seen everything.....!:D

That trumps even the boob hats!

I eat upscale restaurants all the time (him in jeans) and nope they aren't serving ribs and french fries and the waiters don't sing and dance. I know jeans aren't allowed on elegant night, I am just asking if carnival is strict about it. If we decided to go and we are turned away, oh well. Definitely wont be embarrassed. I personally don't see what the big deal is, but I know it is a rule, so again I asked because different places have different rules and many times they are not enforced, so I wanted to know about carnival specifically. I know it says no jeans, but heck his jeans are nicer and more expensive than any slacks/khakis he owns. Which to me, jeans are a broad spectrum of pants lol. Some jeans are a lot nicer than others lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The problem is, the Carnival 'rules' are not consistely upheld by any means, so he could just walk right in on some ships and be turned away on others, it's impossible to tell what that particular maitre'd requires.

After passing 100 nights at sea I remain amused how these threads go to double-digit pages in less than one day. Equally, I have not been on a Carnival ship in the last decade where someone was not wearing jeans or shorts for Cruise Elegant night. Amazingly my food tasted the same.

Aboard the Imagination in March and the Triumph in December I took one pair of socks and one pair of khakis. I wore shorts and a madras or polo shirt every night with boat shoes or sandals, all within suggested dress code.

Cruise elegant nights I wore those khakis and same style shirt. 4 and 5 night cruises, one 20" suitcase, no broken rules.

On Fantasy class ships there are two entrances to the dining room, one up front and one in the rear.

If associating attire to class, economic status or intelligence was retroactive to Bethlehem then Joseph and Mary would have missed the lobster.

"Waiters, it's showtime."

this is not true on the Glory, they will turn you away if you don't meet the Elegant night dress code, and the sleeveless shirt and beach attire will have you turned away also.

I was on the Glory last September and on elegant the table next to us all had on jeans & t shirts .

People aren't being judgemental about jeans...

What people are trying to say is:

Your husband wants to wear jeans

You want your husband to wear jeans because he's more comfortable in them

You don't want to miss elegant night at the MDR

Your husband doesn't want to miss elegant at the MDR

You AND your husband don't think the rules should apply to you because of all the above.

Its not about wearing jeans...its about feeling entitiled to break the rules because it suits you or your husband in order to get what you want.

Thats what most of the posts are about.

Like I said; personally I don't give a darn what your husband is wearing. But if everyone broke every rule they felt they had a justified reason to....what then? That's what posters are trying to get across. They aren't judging his jeans at all. Whether they are nicer or more expensive or how he looks in them or whatever is not the point.

In the end, you will go to the MDR with him in his jeans because you want to, and if you get away with breaking the rule you will be happy, and if you wind up at the buffet or deli or eating a sandwich in your room, you say you will be happy. So, that's cool. You're happy both ways :)

Well said!!

I wish someone could explain to me what is so comfortable about a pair of jeans as opposed to slacks??

I can definitely understand not wanting to wear a tux or suit that requires a jacket or even a tie or a bow tie. But are slacks really so much more uncomfortable than a pair of jeans? I own both and just don't get it.

I remember the days when sailing on Carnival meant running out to buy a new evening gown or two for formal nights and tuxedoes were the norm not an anomaly. (sigh)

Anyway I wouldn't even be debating this with my SO. If you want to eat in the MDR, you follow the barebones dress code. What they are asking for is really not too much.

Not sure if he thinks jeans are more comfortable than slacks ( which he probably does), he is just more comfortable in jeans. Lol I hope that makes sense. He feels more himself in jeans and a polo or button down.

I think the point here is that it's not a matter of whether Carnival cares or not. Carnival has to juggle the rules with keeping people happy. They don't want a scene at the entrance. They don't want others upset that you aren't dressed appropriately. Now as you know by my previous post, I'm no fan of formal dress. But I will do, at the very least, what the rules state. But don't think that just because they look the other way that they don't care. I'm actually surprised your husband would want to be in jeans on elegant night. Even in my khakis and dress shirt I worry about being underdressed and get very self conscious about it.

Neither him or I ever get self conscious about anything. I know there are people who don't think I am dressed elegant enough on elegant night, even though I am in a dress, but it is just a regular cotton sundress. Jeans are allowed every other night, so even if we don't get seated, and we have anytime dining, so I am sure someone will see, oh well. Won't be any scene causing by us lol. I understand they have rules, but if I go that night and they choose to seat us anyway, than yay. If not, than yay anyway. It really is how much Carnival cares to enforce the rules. I know they have to keep passengers happy, and it really sucks that there are people who would do crazy stuff like yell about it. Like I said, I know the rule. I or dh do not get a thrill from rule breaking. I simply just wondered what other guests past experiences were. There are restaurants here where we live that have dress codes, but they hardly enforce them, so most of the time we just go in what we are most comfortable in, which I think is always nice and appropriate. There are other places that are super strict, that we hardly go to, because we just don't care to be that dressed up lol.

Not sure if he thinks jeans are more comfortable than slacks ( which he probably does), he is just more comfortable in jeans. Lol I hope that makes sense. He feels more himself in jeans and a polo or button down.

My husband is right there with him, he'd rather wear jeans, but doesn't because I don't pack them, lol:D Our first cruise, he wore a suit and is now at black slacks, button down shirt & no tie! haha.

Seriously, we see people in shorts, short, short, inappropriate dresses with boobs & rears hanging out. I'd rather see jeans or shorts any day than ill fitting dresses. Some cruises it has looked like a ****/hooker convention. I am SO serious.

I allow my teen son to wear dress shorts & polo shirt on non-elegant nights. Husband does the same, teen daughter and I wear sundresses.

Try to convince him to wear khakis. If not, then some nice dark wash or black jeans. My teen son wore some dark wash jeans with long sleeve button down dress shirt & black dress shoes and looked quite handsome! (we brought his black slacks but he had a blow out - I think it was sabotage, but he swears the seam ripped on its own)

Have fun!!!!

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. It is my vacation and I choose not to dress up which Carnival allows. I won't go to the Lido deck because I still want the lobster.

Yes , the old "me" generation answer....Dennis

My husband is right there with him, he'd rather wear jeans, but doesn't because I don't pack them, lol:D Our first cruise, he wore a suit and is now at black slacks, button down shirt & no tie! haha.

Seriously, we see people in shorts, short, short, inappropriate dresses with boobs & rears hanging out. I'd rather see jeans or shorts any day than ill fitting dresses. Some cruises it has looked like a ****/hooker convention. I am SO serious.

I allow my teen son to wear dress shorts & polo shirt on non-elegant nights. Husband does the same, teen daughter and I wear sundresses.

Try to convince him to wear khakis. If not, then some nice dark wash or black jeans. My teen son wore some dark wash jeans with long sleeve button down dress shirt & black dress shoes and looked quite handsome! (we brought his black slacks but he had a blow out - I think it was sabotage, but he swears the seam ripped on its own)

Have fun!!!!

I know lol. I wish some people understood that just because it zips, doesn't mean it fits lol. But if that's what they want to wear lol, than more power to them.

apparently! I had no idea. I didn't mean to make people upset! I really am sorry!

It isn't your fault Jess. People on this board are emotionally attached to the sides they choose when it comes to smoking, tipping and dress codes in the MDR threads. That's why I love the Carnival board...people who turn red with rage as they pound away on their keyboard.

My opinion on your husband not wanting to get out of his jeans on Elegant night? Just tell him to put his big boy pants on and get with the program!:D

Seriously, if he loves you (and I'm sure he does) he will want to make you happy. God knows I've done stuff for my wife that I really would have rather not.

Neither him or I ever get self conscious about anything. I know there are people who don't think I am dressed elegant enough on elegant night, even though I am in a dress, but it is just a regular cotton sundress. Jeans are allowed every other night, so even if we don't get seated, and we have anytime dining, so I am sure someone will see, oh well. Won't be any scene causing by us lol. I understand they have rules, but if I go that night and they choose to seat us anyway, than yay. If not, than yay anyway. It really is how much Carnival cares to enforce the rules. I know they have to keep passengers happy, and it really sucks that there are people who would do crazy stuff like yell about it. Like I said, I know the rule. I or dh do not get a thrill from rule breaking. I simply just wondered what other guests past experiences were. There are restaurants here where we live that have dress codes, but they hardly enforce them, so most of the time we just go in what we are most comfortable in, which I think is always nice and appropriate. There are other places that are super strict, that we hardly go to, because we just don't care to be that dressed up lol.

I'm not a huge rule follower. For instance I will smuggle rum. But that doesn't ever put the crew in a strange position. I guess I just don't understand why you would put a crew member in the position of having to decide to enforce a rule or not. They must feel like they will either put you in a bad mood or put others in a bad mood. If it doesn't matter whether you get in or not then why not just go to Lido on Elegant night? That way no one has to decide whether or not to enforce the rules. Don't get me wrong because I do think a casual option in the dining room should be made every night. But really they have relaxed the rules quite a bit. A pair of khakis isn't really that much of an inconvenience.

If I were you I would be more upset at him refusing to wear appropriate attire for me. Makes it seem like he doesn't care a bit what you want, so long as he gets what HE wants. :(

Yup. I would tell my DH that if he got turned away, I would be eating in the MDR without him.

I haven't even been on a cruise yet, but have read enough here to know how it goes on an elegant night. I've made it clear to DH & DS, who would both rather be lit on fire than dress up, that if they choose not to dress appropriately they can eat elsewhere, and I won't be putting a lobster tail in my purse for either of them!

So, when we were trying on their clothes this weekend to make sure they still fit, my husband made sure I knew he was only doing this for ME. Pffft ... he's doing it for the lobster & prime rib! lol

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

when we were trying on their clothes this weekend to make sure they still fit, my husband made sure I knew he was only doing this for ME. Pffft ... he's doing it for the lobster & prime rib! lol

Whatever works! :D

We are on the opposite end of the spectrum. DH uses a cruise as an excuse to channel his inner James Bond, so I have to budget for the tux rental. :cool:

I'm not a huge rule follower. For instance I will smuggle rum. But that doesn't ever put the crew in a strange position. I guess I just don't understand why you would put a crew member in the position of having to decide to enforce a rule or not. They must feel like they will either put you in a bad mood or put others in a bad mood. If it doesn't matter whether you get in or not then why not just go to Lido on Elegant night? That way no one has to decide whether or not to enforce the rules. Don't get me wrong because I do think a casual option in the dining room should be made every night. But really they have relaxed the rules quite a bit. A pair of khakis isn't really that much of an inconvenience.

You breaking a rule by smuggling rum is no different than dh wanting to wear jeans. If a crew member finds your rum and if your luggage is locked he or she has to make the decision to enforce it or not. My question wasn't about if he should wear khakis. I just wanted to know how lax the rules were. If people are wearing boob hats and such (which doesn't indicate they will on m cruise) I don't want to miss the mdr just because we prefer to not be as dressy.

When we were on a cruise last fall, we went to the MDR for lunch. My husband was wearing a sleeveless shirt (we just came from the pool) and he was asked to please change into a shirt with sleeves. I'm not sure if this was unique to our cruise, but I was proud that the dress code was enforced (even if my husband was the offender)!

My spouse and I are going to take a cruise, but he absolutly hates to wear anything but his jeans. He does not want to put on khakis or anything like that. He says he is on vacation and the nicest he will wear to the dining room on elegant night is his jeans and lacoste polo. If he can't eat, oh well he says. Do they allow jeans?

It isn't your fault Jess. People on this board are emotionally attached to the sides they choose when it comes to smoking, tipping and dress codes in the MDR threads. That's why I love the Carnival board...people who turn red with rage as they pound away on their keyboard.

My opinion on your husband not wanting to get out of his jeans on Elegant night? Just tell him to put his big boy pants on and get with the program!:D

Seriously, if he loves you (and I'm sure he does) he will want to make you happy. God knows I've done stuff for my wife that I really would have rather not.

I really didn't realize lol. I didn't know that just because dh wanted to wear jeans, people would start posting about how selfish he is and that apparently we use jeans to assert our power. I've seen a tipping thread, and saw where that got crazy lol, and even though I think people should tip the automatic gratuities, if someone chooses not to, I don't think it is my right to call them cheap or make all these assumptions about them or their character, because I don't know them.

I really didn't realize lol. I didn't know that just because dh wanted to wear jeans, people would start posting about how selfish he is and that apparently we use jeans to assert our power. I've seen a tipping thread, and saw where that got crazy lol, and even though I think people should tip the automatic gratuities, if someone chooses not to, I don't think it is my right to call them cheap or make all these assumptions about them or their character, because I don't know them.

Hi Jesscruiser. My Wife and I like to dress up even on the non elegant nights. I hope your Husband will reconsider and wear the dress slacks and that way you will not have to even worry about it. All that being said you are one of the most patient and respectful posters I have seen on any forum. The way you have stayed calm while others have made some pretty strong judgments about you and your husband says a great deal about your character. While I do believe your Husband should honor the rules I admire you for handling yourself so calmly. Have a great cruise!

You breaking a rule by smuggling rum is no different than dh wanting to wear jeans. If a crew member finds your rum and if your luggage is locked he or she has to make the decision to enforce it or not. My question wasn't about if he should wear khakis. I just wanted to know how lax the rules were. If people are wearing boob hats and such (which doesn't indicate they will on m cruise) I don't want to miss the mdr just because we prefer to not be as dressy.

I guess all I meant was that my crime is victimless. If they find my rum they take it. They don't offend me or embarrass me in public. On the other hand calling someone out on their attire at the entrance to the dining room is embarrassing for them and you and even for others that are there. So I get what you are saying. You aren't interested in our opinions on what your are doing, only if you can get away with it. I have no problem with that. That is the same as rum runner threads where people ask if they will get caught. They aren't looking for a lecture. So I apologize for the lecture and admit I am a bit of a hypocrite. But I still think the issue here is that you affect others evening.

I still have no idea what a boob hat is and I'm afraid to google it.

I guess all I meant was that my crime is victimless. If they find my rum they take it. They don't offend me or embarrass me in public. On the other hand calling someone out on their attire at the entrance to the dining room is embarrassing for them and you and even for others that are there. So I get what you are saying. You aren't interested in our opinions on what your are doing, only if you can get away with it. I have no problem with that. That is the same as rum runner threads where people ask if they will get caught. They aren't looking for a lecture. So I apologize for the lecture and admit I am a bit of a hypocrite. But I still think the issue here is that you affect others evening.

I still have no idea what a boob hat is and I'm afraid to google it.

I don't know what a boob hat is either!!!! Another poster mentioned it lol!

Archived